Thread: Relay access denied

jpbuse is offline Loyal Member

Default Relay access denied

I have an install of 5.0.2 open source running on top of a CentOS 5.x install. This setup is called smithers (big simpsons fan). My domain is smithers.lambesis.com. Works just fine, I can send emails to/from jpbuse at smithers.lambesis.com which is my test account.

Today I installed 5.0.2 open source on Ubuntu 6.0.6 LTS. This setup is called abe. My domain here is lambesis.com with a virtual of abe.lambesis.com. My live corporate email is lambesis.com and I'm trying to setup a zimbra server to eventually move our email to.

Both abe.lambesis.com and smithers.lambesis.com are public IPs and are accessible to all (for now).

My problem is when I send a test email to jpbuse at abe.lambesis.com from any other mail server, it gets returned with the following error:

(reason: 554 5.7.1 : Relay access denied)

I can't send a test to jpbuse at lambesis.com because that is actually my current live mail server (not zimbra) and obviously works.

I feel like I am missing something dead simple here. The only difference between the abe and smithers setups (aside from centos v ubuntu) is the domain config within Zimbra.

UPDATE:

I removed the lambesis.com domain and kept the abe.lambesis.com domain. I also changed my users to be user@abe.lambesis.com and not @lambesis.com. Restarted the zimbra server and now things are working. I can send emails to jpbuse at abe.lambesis.com and they work.

So now my question is more for migrating. When I am ready to have zimbra on abe become the authoritative mail server for the lambesis.com domain, how can I change my users from user@abe.lambesis.com to be just user@lambesis.com?

I can no longer log into the webmail interface as jpbuse. The error message I receive is 'An invalid request was made.' In addition, I'm unable to connect to the mail server now as jpbuse using Mail.app.

Geez, now the admin login page is just hanging.
    Last edited by jpbuse; 02-05-2008 at 04:23 PM.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jpbuse View Post
    UPDATE:
    I removed the lambesis.com domain and kept the abe.lambesis.com domain. I also changed my users to be user@abe.lambesis.com and not @lambesis.com. Restarted the zimbra server and now things are working. I can send emails to jpbuse at abe.lambesis.com and they work.

So now my question is more for migrating. When I am ready to have zimbra on abe become the authoritative mail server for the lambesis.com domain, how can I change my users from user@abe.lambesis.com to be just user@lambesis.com?
    You might checkout Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki

To rename the domain there's a real simple command in v5 (rather than doing it on each account):
    zmprov -l renameDomain (or 'rd' for short) domain.com newDomain.com
    Be sure to examine your 'zmprov gacf' output and look for any values (like zimbraSpamIsSpamAccount & zimbraSpamIsNotSpamAccount or even zimbraNotebookAccount if needed) set by:
    zmprov mcf zimbraSpamIsSpamAccount spam@lambesis.com
    If you execute 'zmlocalconfig' without argument, it shows the present configuration parameters and values - double check the value of smtp_destination (for the daily mail report).
    To fix:
    zmlocalconfig -e smtp_destination=admin@lambesis.com
    also relevant to that is:
    smtp_source=admin@lambesis.comcom (the from)
    smtp_notify=yes
    zmlocalconfig zimbra_mtareport_max_recipients=50
    zimbra_mtareport_max_senders=50
    I can no longer log into the webmail interface as jpbuse. The error message I receive is 'An invalid request was made.' In addition, I'm unable to connect to the mail server now as jpbuse using Mail.app.
    Try with the full jpbuse@abe.domain.com. You could always set:
    zmprov mcf zimbraDefaultDomain abe.lambesis.com
    Last edited by mmorse; 02-05-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Thanks Mike - I'll test out the renameDomain command. Zimbra is a great product, I'm impressed.

Another question...
    I know that CentOS is not officially supported thus the reason I've installed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS for this test server. I'm more comfortable administering CentOS than Ubuntu. Other than "official" support is there any other reason I should keep my Zimbra install on Ubuntu and not CentOS?

We need to run a disclaimer on the domain and when I tested the automatic disclaimer install (Domain Disclaimer Extension Admin UI - Zimbra :: Wiki) on a CentOS test machine, it worked fine w/ a little tweaking. I'm a bit hesitant to go messing around on the Ubuntu install to try to get the disclaimer option to work.

So, is Ubuntu really preferred over CentOS or does it not really matter too much? Thanks.

Jason
    Last edited by jpbuse; 02-06-2008 at 11:00 AM.

So I ran a test of renameDomain and it worked just fine. I switched the domain from abe.lambesis.com to just lambesis.com. My question is for my testing and migration, how can I set it up to also allow mail for abe.lambesis.com domain in addition to lambesis.com? I'm not clear on this part.

Well... after I did this, then changed it back, I can no longer get into the admin page as it just hangs at 'Loading...'. Now what?
    Last edited by jpbuse; 02-15-2008 at 04:46 PM.

So I ran a test of renameDomain and it worked just fine. I switched the domain from abe.lambesis.com to just lambesis.com. My question is for my testing and migration, how can I set it up to also allow mail for abe.lambesis.com domain in addition to lambesis.com? I'm not clear on this part.
    This is solved the issue as far as I can tell:
    zmprov cd example.net zimbraDomainType alias zimbraMailCatchAllAddress @example.net zimbraMailCatchAllForwardingAddress @domain.com

Well... after I did this, then changed it back, I can no longer get into the admin page as it just hangs at 'Loading...'. Now what?
    This still hangs even after zimbra services are restarted.

Thread Information