Thread: Sent email sorting

bins is offline Active Member

Default Sent email sorting

I now have several accounts set up on the server and personally, several pop3 accounts.

When I send an email through a certain account (that is not default), by going to the sent folder, I cannot identify which message was sent by what account.

How can I add an account column to the sent view OR automatically send messages sent to the correct mail box?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You can't add a column to the display but you can use the Search function on the Sent folder, you can also save a search if you need to do it on a regular basis.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

what I want to do is quickly move sent emails, by account, into their main folders. I have 8 pop3 accounts - using search is going to be a slow process!

soxfan is offline Moderator

using search is going to be a slow process!
    How so? Enter "in: Sent AND from: xyz@domain.com" in the Search box and boom, you've got your results. Searching is very fast in Zimbra, and as Phoenix suggested, you can save your searches. If you save the searches they will show up either in or below your folders, depending on how you set them up. Clicking on the saved search should bring up the results very quickly. You may find that you don't even need to move the messages, as the saved searches are essentially "virtual" folders.
    Last edited by soxfan; 02-04-2008 at 01:32 PM.

There are a couple of RFEs in bugzilla relating to applying filters to outbound mail and running filters on mail already received if you would like to search and vote.

As soxfan has already said, the search function is not slow at all, the aim of that function is not to require you to file messages in folders (but you can if you want) and to allow you to get messages using saved searches. Try it, you might find it does just what you want.
    Regards

Bill

soxfan,

on one or two accounts, it is not an issue - I have 8 pop accounts and the master domain - thats 9different sorts!

OK, I am not comparing like for like, but with a certain other product, you can sort by account (column) and then drag/drop in to relevant account.

A way around this is to have a 'save sent messages in account folder' or similar.

I dont want to sound aggresive, but you have to get of the 'this is the best thing and way of doing it'. A vast majority of people are coming from one or two major email products, where certain functionality is is used daily. DOnt forget, Redmond had been doing email a few years longer than most other players and they do have some good functions that it might be worth adapting!!!!

Nobody said that 'our way of doing things is the best' and Microsoft doesn't have all the answers. Having said that,, if you think you want a change then either vote on the bugs I've mentioned above or file a new RFE (if there isn't one) in bugzilla, that's what it's for.

Have you tried the search function and then saved the searches? Does it do what you need?
    Regards

Bill

soxfan is offline Moderator

soxfan,

on one or two accounts, it is not an issue - I have 8 pop accounts and the master domain - thats 9different sorts!

OK, I am not comparing like for like, but with a certain other product, you can sort by account (column) and then drag/drop in to relevant account.

A way around this is to have a 'save sent messages in account folder' or similar.

I dont want to sound aggresive, but you have to get of the 'this is the best thing and way of doing it'. A vast majority of people are coming from one or two major email products, where certain functionality is is used daily. DOnt forget, Redmond had been doing email a few years longer than most other players and they do have some good functions that it might be worth adapting!!!!
    Edit/Delete Message
    I would never say Zimbra's way of doing things is always the best, or that other programs like Outlook don't have better functionality in some areas. However, I also think it is human nature when moving to a new program to look for the exact same functionality, instead of exploring ways of doing the same function, but in a different way.

I've used Outlook before, but I don't have 9 accounts like you do. So maybe I'm missing something but I don't really see where the "saved search" method won't work for you.

With Outlook (or whatever email client you were using) you had 9 "sent" folders, with some type of filter setup to move sent messages to those folders based on which account it was sent from. Am I right here, or am I missing something?

If this is the case, with Zimbra you enter "in: Sent AND from: 'account 1'" in the search bar. This pretty much immediately brings up all the messages you've sent from 'account 1'. You then save this search and now you've got a "folder" that shows up on the left, with all your other folders. You can now click on that "search folder" and it automatically does the search again and gives a current list of all messages sent from 'account 1'. So, you don't even have to manually move messages around.

In your Outlook scenario you've got 9 "sent" folders; with Zimbra you've got 9 "virtual" saved search folders. Am I just totally missing some point here, because the functionality seems very similar to me.

I have 9 accounts (main + 8 pop3). I send from each account, but onlly have 1 sent account.

in outlook I could build a rule (move anything sent through account1, to folder A) OR sort sent mail by account, then move manually.

The saved method does work - I have tried it and it does the job. however, it is more time consuming - that is my point.

I am more than happy to learn new ways of doing things, which is innevitabable on new software/applications. However, if there is an easy (in the eye of he beholder) way of doing things, innevitably that is what the user will want!

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Your other alternative, if you want a more outlook-like functionality, is to use a non-outlook IMAP client. Thunderbird gives you the choice of where to put your mail--heck, you have a separate set of folders for each account if you want. I imagine virtually any IMAP client would do the same.

It's only using the web client or the desktop that this would even be a question. . .and Zimbra plays quite nicely with IMAP.

But if you are saying the saved searches are "time consuming" I wonder what you mean. I just tried it on a very large account and the return time on the search (finding 45 messages out of a "Sent" folder of 1047 items) couldn't have been more than half a second and may have been half that. I've never seen an IMAP folder refresh any quicker than that. Sure, it was "time consuming" to type the search string the first time I did it, but that saved search gets a name and is clickable till I delete it.

If it's taking a long time on your machine, what kind of PC, OS, Processor, and memory are you running on? I tried it on both Firefox (2.0.0.9) and Internet Explorer (6.0.2900) and both were equally quick (once it was loaded anyway--IE takes its time getting started).

In other words, while I understand the frustration with learning a new interface (I get mad at Microsoft every time they move the Control Panel on a new version of Window$), it sounds like you may be dealing with some other problems too. The functionality described above happens almost instantaneously on a properly-running system.

Thread Information