Thread: I dont "get" it. How to use?

fuzzbuzz is offline New Member

Default I dont "get" it. How to use?

(Try not to laugh)

Exactly how do I use Zimbra? I installed it, and didn't see any errors. Not sure how to run it now. It installs in /opt/zimbra (I'm on FC4), but when I go there, all that I am able to run are command line 'daemons' and such.

I'm assuming I'm in the right place here. Zimbra is something like Thunderbird, right? Is that only in the "Network Trial Version"? I have the open source one, and am not able to run it.

Someone please explain.

I apologize for my naïveté.

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default Getting it.

Zimbra is a mail server. Thunderbird is a mail client. Very different. (Though, Zimbra includes a web client used to access the server, so they're not completely unrelated).

If you're interested in running a mail server, you've picked a good one. I suggest you start with the documentation for more info - if you've got more specific questions, you can look for answers on the forums, or post them if they haven't already been covered.

Thank you for clarifying that. So i assume that I got the server, and not the client.

Is there a way to obtain the client? (and does it cost any money?)

Thanks again.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

You've got both - Zimbra is a mail server (and much more) and you access it using any web browser (FF, IE etc.) or email client (Outlook, Evolution, Thunderbird etc.) on your system.

I think marcmac is slightly off when he said you picked a good one, IMO you picked the best one.
    Last edited by phoenix; 01-28-2006 at 01:14 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Hello again.

I appreciate that you both took the time to clarify these things, but could someone please tell me where to run the client from? (assuming i have it)

I downloaded the ~200MB file called zcs-4.0.0_M4_62.FC4, which I installed (all packages).

It installs in /opt/zimbra.

How do I run the client?

Thank you

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Default client

2 things:

1 - The client is a web client. After everything is running (zmcontrol status) point your browser to your server, and you'll get the client

2 - read the documentation.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuzz
    How do I run the client?
    Running the client would be the same as using a service like gmail or your ISPs webmail service, just point your browser to the address of your zimbar server and voila! - there's your mail (well, after getting some mail delivered ). So as you've got zimbra installed just type http://yourserveraddress/zimbra and away you go - you will need to read-up on how zimbra works.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information