Thread: incredibel cpu usage + annoying busy cursor flickering with 5.0.2

bbarnett is offline Senior Member

Default incredibel cpu usage + annoying busy cursor flickering with 5.0.2

Hey all,

Has anyone else seen this? When replying to an email, the mouse pointer constantly flickers from its normal state, to the 'busy' hourglass state. On and off, about 30 or 40 times per second. As well, the browser 'stop loading button' flickers continuously.

Cpu usage was about 50-60% on _two_ of my CPU cores, on my quad core 6600.

After composing the email, this behaviour continued in Firefox until a restart. (Debianized version 2.0.0.6). This was not seen on 5.0.1 or any other release of Zimbra.

I have not been able to reproduce this as of yet. :/

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

http://bugzilla.zimbra.com/show_bug.cgi?id=24231

In both 5.0.1 and 5.0.2, I can reproduce this behavior reliably on firefox 2 for the mac (only) if the following conditions are true at the time of zwc startup (i.e., at login or reload with different skin):

1) zimbraPrefForwardReplyInOriginalFormat=TRUE (can only be set in admin console or zmprov)

2) zimbraPrefComposeFormat=html

3) Reply to a text/plain message, which overrides the general html pref and uses the text composer. It's like zwc is expecting the browser html design mode to start, but it never does. Bug 24231 and your experience show it's a more general problem.

In both the logged bug and my experience, there is no browser-server traffic. It's all at the client JS level.
    Last edited by Rich Graves; 02-02-2008 at 01:47 PM.

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

Yes..on Windows 2003 Server + IE 6 as client computer

On Just mouse moved on the 5.0x interface Admin or Client the Clinet CPU goes 40-50%

i am trying to make a screenshot vedio to show this as 5.0x interface is constatly checking something and giving this flicring and highg cpu on CLIENT computer

http://www.i2k2systems.com/zimbra/IE_HIGH_CPU.BMP Maximize the image for clear view

Zimbra 4.xx interface has no issue like this on SAME Client Computer

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

raj: That's unrelated.

bbarnett: You didn't say whether you were using HTML or plain text composition. Especially if you can figure out how to use the Firebug extension, please add your details to bugzilla.

bbarnett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    raj: That's unrelated.

bbarnett: You didn't say whether you were using HTML or plain text composition. Especially if you can figure out how to use the Firebug extension, please add your details to bugzilla.
    We actually use Mozilla in house for Zimbra. This allows us to keep our Zimbra html client separate from our general use web browser. While I did mention Firefox in my initial post, I am now on site and see that this issue also exists with Mozilla.

By default we do use HTML composition, and more than one user is now seeing this issue here. It is actually generating significant complaint. I believe the issue must be more pronounced with 5.0.2 than 5.0.1, as I did not see this issue prior to my 5.0.2 upgrade.

FYI, I do not see any error messages in the Mozilla javascript console when this problem occurs.

Dave Comfort is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Fix

There's an old preference out there that is causing this. An admin can fix the problem using zmprov, and setting the value of zimbraPrefForwardReplyInOriginalFormat to FALSE.

Bug 24231 - Hourglass cursor flickers endlessly when replying to message

We'll have a proper fix for this problem in the next release.

Thread Information