Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [SOLVED] Fedora7 error zmldapinit line 160

steve901 is offline Starter Member

Default Resolution: Hosts File was my problem as well

Thanks to everyone for their excellent posts! Name resolution was my problem as well.

I was getting the same error and used this doc to address it. I ended up doing:

Zimbra 5.0.6 on Ubuntu 6.06
    - split DNS
    - hosts file

I'm embarrassed to say that I'd mis-keyed my hosts file and entered the IP address of the VMWare host which Zimbra was running inside. My habitual ping test came back positive. Don't let that be you!

chenthil is offline Active Member

Hi ,
    Am using centos 5 and zimbra 5.0.7
    Even am facing the same error ..

my selinux is disabled , firewall is down , netstat for Ldap port no is empty , ....Please update this link ..

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by chenthil View Post
    Hi ,
    Am using centos 5 and zimbra 5.0.7
    Even am facing the same error ..

my selinux is disabled , firewall is down , netstat for Ldap port no is empty , ....Please update this link ..
    How about some details of your problem and any errors from the log files. Say I've got the same error' doesn't really provide any usefule debugging information. What solutions have you tried from this thread or from the forums? New install or upgrade?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

chenthil is offline Active Member

Sorry , my hostname in the /etc/hosts file was wrong .. its a typo error ..thanks for replying back

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

I'm going to mark this as solved. I hit this on testzimbra.com (ironically)

If your hosts file doesn't list a LOCAL IP with the right hostname, you will get this error.

Baylink is offline Elite Member

And note that if you're behind a NAT box, and running the sort of "semi" split DNS necessary to make lmtp not crap out (in my case, an IP alias of your public IP on your private ethernet interface) then you need lines in your /etc/hosts file for *both* IPs, with the private one first. (In fact, John, what I got was the opposite: since I remembered to put the alias in *before* running the install, that was what Zimbra put in /etc/hosts: *only* the public one).

It continues to irk me that Zimbra's install assumes that if the machine is benjamin.baylink.com, that it will be answering for email for benjamin.baylink.com; in a properly administered network that is *never* the case. And indeed, that's what it reports as the admin email address: admin@benjamin.baylink.com, an address which is *purposefully* not deliverable here.
    Jay R. Ashworth - ZCS 6.0.9CE/CentOS5 - St Pete FL US - Music - Blog - Photography - IANAL - IAAMA
    Try to Ask Questions The Smart Way -- you'll get better answers.

Put your product and version in your profile/signature - All opinions strictly my own, even though I have an employer these days.
    If you [SOLVE] something, please tell everyone how for the archives
    And, please... read what people write, and answer the questions they asked, not the ones they didn't.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    And note that if you're behind a NAT box, and running the sort of "semi" split DNS necessary to make lmtp not crap out (in my case, an IP alias of your public IP on your private ethernet interface) then you need lines in your /etc/hosts file for *both* IPs, with the private one first. (In fact, John, what I got was the opposite: since I remembered to put the alias in *before* running the install, that was what Zimbra put in /etc/hosts: *only* the public one).
    If a zimbra server is simply behind a NAT router on a private IP then you don't need, nor should you have, both IP addresses in your hosts file - you only need the lines for the loopback and the LAN IP. There's nothing else in the hosts file of any of my Zimbra servers and they work perfectly well. Perhaps it's your specific configuration that's the problem?

BTW, I'm sure you already know this but the need to do a DNS lookup is a Postfix requirement and that's not likely to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Baylink View Post
    It continues to irk me that Zimbra's install assumes that if the machine is benjamin.baylink.com, that it will be answering for email for benjamin.baylink.com; in a properly administered network that is *never* the case. And indeed, that's what it reports as the admin email address: admin@benjamin.baylink.com, an address which is *purposefully* not deliverable here.
    That isn't the case either. If you changed the domain name when you initially installed Zimbra to your correct domain of 'baylink.com' then it would work without problems. If it was installed without changing the domain name then you can rename it at any time so email addresses are correct for user@baylink.com.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information