Thread: Multiple Servers and licenses

djingo is offline Intermediate Member

Default Multiple Servers and licenses

Dear all,
    I'm working for an IT company that is managing some housed mail servers of our customer. We are evaluating zimbra for migration and I have some questions related to the licensing. I hope somebody may help me to clarify following issues:

1) In a scenario with 3 indipendant servers each having for example 25 users
    is it possible to use a single license for 75 users distributed on the 3 servers or should we get each separate license ?

I ask you this because we are having a mixed hosting/housing environment and some of our customers wants to have a dedicated/separated email server. (this is why I ask if we have to get each separate license or not)

2) In case of server clustering is it necessary to replicate the license for each server of is just the first one enough.

3) Having for example 75 user and just 10 users interested in the mobile option can we get the "smaller" 0-50users mobile option or due to the total number of user should we get the "big" one 50-500 option ?

Thanks to all,

Marco

Nobody willing to explain please ?

Thank you
    Marco

Klug is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by djingo View Post
    1) In a scenario with 3 indipendant servers each having for example 25 users
    is it possible to use a single license for 75 users distributed on the 3 servers or should we get each separate license ?
    If the 3 servers are parts of a _single_ multi-server infrastructure (that is mainly, one single LDAP server), you can have a single 75 users licences.

If you want to have totaly seperated/dedicated servers, you need 3 licences.

2) In case of server clustering is it necessary to replicate the license for each server of is just the first one enough.
    Clustering is active/passive, you pay once for the number of users you have on your cluster.

3) Having for example 75 user and just 10 users interested in the mobile option can we get the "smaller" 0-50users mobile option or due to the total number of user should we get the "big" one 50-500 option ?
    Even if you have one single user using Zimbra Mobile on a 75 users server, you'll pay the "above 50" users licence for Zimbra Mobile.

You should contact sales@zimbra.com or a local VAR to get more info.

Thank you very much for the answer.

Let me double check if I have understood correctly:

basically to use a single centralized license we should need to setup

1) Main Master LDAP Serer

2) MTA,MailStore and replica on the other 3 servers.

Would it be so possible to manage all 3 server with a "centralized" license and directly from the admin gui based on the master ldapserver ?

In case of failing of the Master Ldap would the ldap replica installed avoid downtime of the service?

Thank you

basically to use a single centralized license we should need to setup
    1) Main Master LDAP Serer
    2) MTA,MailStore and replica on the other 3 servers.
    For 75 users, everything can rely on one single server , no need for 4 servers.

Would it be so possible to manage all 3 server with a "centralized" license and directly from the admin gui based on the master ldapserver ?
    AFAIK, the "admin GUI" need the mailstore service.
    If you want to admin your infrastructure from the LDAP server, you'll have to install the mailstore service on it. Or administer it from any of the LDAP servers.

In case of failing of the Master Ldap would the ldap replica installed avoid downtime of the service?
    IMHO, if I had the money to setup 4 servers for 75, I'd cut on the servers and buy a shared DAS in order to setup a cluster.
    This way you'd have full HA, not just for the LDAP.

Hello Klug,

sorry I have not explaind completely our scenario. (and in the meanwhile the total planed users raised up to 275)

We offer the email service to our customers.
    When I say "customer" I mean a company to which we are giving the email service based on a dedicated email server placed in our datacenter.

That fact that we need to keep separated server is a request that they made and we cannot change this (obviously means a lot of more hardware cost, space, more public ip etc.)

So now we have:

Server 1 - Company A : abt 100 users
    Server 2 - Company B: abt 100 users
    Server 3 - Company C: abt 75 users

each company is accessing "their" email service on the dedicated server placed in our datacenter.

We would like to replicate the scenario but managing all the servers with a master Ldap server and a single license for the total number of users.

We want to avoid to get a license for each server due to the costs and to the fact that we will probably add other customers servers.

Getting a single "main" license key for the total number of users and a single "over 100 users" mobile option is obviously a lot cheaper.

This is why i was thinking to the scenario with a main Master LDAP server and the rest of the components+ldap replica each on a server for each company

Is this possible?

I hope to have explained me well.

I understand better now.

Why not using VMs ?

I didn't thinked at VMs because we already have the servers and i don't have experience with VMs.

Would this solve the "single key licensing problem"

I suggested VM to have less servers.
    But if you already have them, no need for VM.

Considering the number of users per server, the difference in pricing only relies in Zimbra Mobile (paying it three times instead of once).

Will your customers use the Admin interface ?
    As you might know, there are two different admin levels : one for everything and the other one just for basic operations (accounts creation/modifications, aliases, ressources).

If your customers needs the full admin rights, you're stuck with three different licences anyway.
    Because with one single licence, they'll see each other domains/accounts when logging in the AdminUI.

No need for full admin rights. Basic operations would be still fine and perhaps this to not needed as we managed all for them.

If we setup a Master LDAP server + mailstore and on the 3 server mta, mailstore and replica, are we this way able to use just one single key ?

Can we then manage to "place" users from company A on Server A and users from Company B to server B etc. ?

We obviously would set up mx records for domains with the ips of the respictivley server A and B for the different domains.

other concern: is the traffic between master ldap and replic high ?
    I ask you thi because we might conisder/need a distributed environment having the "company" servers in one datacenter and the master ldap in a second place.

Thank you

Thread Information