Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] CentOS is NOT supported

hughesjr is offline Intermediate Member

Default [SOLVED] CentOS is NOT supported

In response to this:

CentOS is NOT supported

1. This problem also happens on RHEL-5, not just CentOS-5. There is no problem on CentOS-5 wrt this issue that is also not present on RHEL-5.

2. We don't support Zimba, our recommendation:

Try Scalix

Thanks,
    Johnny Hughes
    CentOS Developer

mgibeault is offline Intermediate Member

Cheap shot

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Hi Johnny,
    Would you care to shed any light on the problem?

quanah is online now Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by hughesjr View Post
    In response to this:

CentOS is NOT supported

1. This problem also happens on RHEL-5, not just CentOS-5. There is no problem on CentOS-5 wrt this issue that is also not present on RHEL-5.
    Hi Johnny,

Before taking cheap shots, I suggest you check the facts first.

(a) We've mainly been talking about CentOS4, not CentOS5.

(b) RHEL5 works just fine with Scalar::Util. If CentOS5 doesn't, then CentOS5 has the problem.

Here's RHEL5 64-bit:

Code:
    [build@build11 tmp]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)
    [build@build11 tmp]$ uname -a
    Linux build11 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jan 26 14:15:14 EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    [build@build11 tmp]$ cat /tmp/system.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use lib "/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8";
    use Scalar::Util qw (dualvar);
    [build@build11 tmp]$ perl /tmp/system.pl
    [build@build11 tmp]$
    Here's RHEL5 32-bit:
    Code:
    [build@build10 tmp]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)
    [build@build10 tmp]$ uname -a
    Linux build10 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jan 26 14:15:21 EST 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
    [build@build10 tmp]$ cat /tmp/system.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use lib "/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8";
    [build@build10 tmp]$ perl /tmp/system.pl
    So RHEL5 certainly ships with Dualvar support in Scalar::Util.

Here's RHEL4, in comparison:

Code:
    -bash-3.00$ cat /etc/redhat-release
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 6)
    -bash-3.00$ uname -a
    Linux qa07 2.6.9-67.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 7 13:58:04 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

-bash-3.00$ cat /tmp/system.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use lib "/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5";
    -bash-3.00$ perl /tmp/system.pl
     is only avaliable with the XS version at /tmp/system.pl line 3
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /tmp/system.pl line 3.
    So as you can clearly see, the Scalar::Util shipped by RHEL5 does not have this problem. The version shipped by RHEL4 does. Using Zimbra's Scalar::Util shipped with RHEL4 solves the problem:

Code:
    [root@qa07 zcs-5.0.0_GA_1869.RHEL4.20071218182359]# cat /etc/redhat-release
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 6)
    [root@qa07 zcs-5.0.0_GA_1869.RHEL4.20071218182359]# uname -a
    Linux qa07 2.6.9-67.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 7 13:58:04 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    [root@qa07 zcs-5.0.0_GA_1869.RHEL4.20071218182359]# cat /tmp/zimbra.pl
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use lib "/opt/zimbra/zimbramon/lib";
    [root@qa07 zcs-5.0.0_GA_1869.RHEL4.20071218182359]# perl /tmp/zimbra.pl
    [root@qa07 zcs-5.0.0_GA_1869.RHEL4.20071218182359]#
    [root@qa07 zcs-5.0.0_GA_1869.RHEL4.20071218182359]# su - zimbra
    [zimbra@qa07 ~]$ perl /tmp/zimbra.pl
    [zimbra@qa07 ~]$
    So, rather than trying to start a flame war, please actually test things and try to be constructive. Obviously, Zimbra would rather things work on CentOS than not work. But we have an obligation to our user base to be clear on what we find does and does not work. RHEL4 is working.

--Quanah
    Last edited by quanah; 01-08-2008 at 11:00 AM.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

jkoyle is offline Senior Member

In response to Johnny's comment. I tried Scalix - after being unable to restore backup files created by the included Scalix utilities I dumped it like a hot rock ~ 2 years ago.

Scalix looked pretty from the outside - but no matter how you dress something up, it doesn't change what it is.

John

rwc101010 is offline Active Member

An enhancement request for Official CentOS Support has been filed in Bugzilla - Bug 23487.

I would encourage those interested in Official CentOS Support to go vote for the bug to show their interest.

phvt is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    ...please actually test things and try to be constructive. Obviously, Zimbra would rather things work on CentOS than not work. But we have an obligation to our user base to be clear on what we find does and does not work. RHEL4 is working.
    That's great to hear--I'd like it to work on CentOS too, and I did test constructively. Everything else with the installation went fine.

Bug 23495 - Scalar::Util issue
    first installation ZCS 5.0GA on centos 4.6 failed

Best regards,
    Paul

hughesjr is offline Intermediate Member

Quanah,

My point was that if there is a problem, be it in CentOS-4 OR CentOS-5 ... it is NOT caused by CentOS and the same problem also exists in RHEL.

To ignore the problem and tell people to instead use Debian is why I was commenting.

Maybe you missed the comparison to the original ANNOUNCEMENT made by a zimbra moderator that I linked to, that was the reason for my post, not any dislike of Zimbra.

Zimbra certainly has the right to support whichever OS software they want, but they ignore CentOS in the enterprise space at their own peril.

EDIT:
    ... I meant Ubuntu, not Debian :-)
    Last edited by hughesjr; 01-09-2008 at 07:05 AM.

z00dax is offline Starter Member

Default FUD Creating by Zimbra people : Reload this Page CentOS is NOT supported

jholder
    Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Hi Johnny,
    Would you care to shed any light on the problem?

The problem, as it exists right now is that your post was both ambigous and misleading. You seem to claim that something that works on RHEL out of the box, is not working on the same corrosponding release of CentOS - Which is, as far as I can tell, completely FUD. Since you have absolutely no facts to back that up with.

Now, if you really know what you are talking about : why not backup your claims with something more substantive and technically point out what in CentOS-4 does not work when it works with RHEL-4 or what in CentOS-5 does not work when it works with RHEL5 ?

If you actually know what you are talking about, we can do something about it and try and fix the situation for the people who want to use your product on CentOS. If you just want to go around creating FUD and have issues with CentOS as a platform - make it clear that there are no real issues you know about, but its more of a political statement you are making here.

I am going to try and track this thread as much as possible so either post here, or feel free to open an issue at http://bugs.centos.org/ and we can track the issues there. At the end of the day, if there are some issues, we can resolve them for the interest of the userbase. I am not sure how you guys work, but our focus at CentOS tends to be the users.

z00dax is offline Starter Member

Hi Johnny,

Before taking cheap shots, I suggest you check the facts first.

(a) We've mainly been talking about CentOS4, not CentOS5.
    quanah, I take it from your signature that you are fairly high on the food chain - so I recommend you do a few things. Start by reading the original post here : CentOS is NOT supported

There is ZERO technical merit in that statement and in that post, there is nothing that says that its RHEL-4 he is talking about. Including vague stuff like "
    We've identified that the issue is not with Zimbra, but rather CentOS." does not help the situation since its not backed up with *any* technical facts, if you guys really do have a clue what you are talking about, highlight the issue so someone can do something about it, rather than making generic statements that really just amount to FUD.

(b) RHEL5 works just fine with Scalar::Util. If CentOS5 doesn't, then CentOS5 has the problem.
    I again suggest you read the OP, the issue whatever it is was identified by your people and isolated aparently by them. Perhaps you guys should talk a bit more amongst yourselves as well ?

The only reason we are here in your forum to clear the FUD you are creating is because we have had a number of users come back and say there is an issue somewhere. I dont use the product, but I know there are users who do. As I have already said in my previous post to this thread, identify an issue and we can try to fix it, if you dont have an issue - shut up and stop creating FUD.

BTW, you might be interested in knowing that your people have already privately admitted to testing on CentOS. Which I would presume makes sense. Perhaps you are just not aware of this testing ? Again, communication breakdown within Zimbra ?

So as you can clearly see, the Scalar::Util shipped by RHEL5 does not have this problem. The version shipped by RHEL4 does. Using Zimbra's Scalar::Util shipped with RHEL4 solves the problem:
    I dont see how someone might confuse that to imply that 'RHEL works but CentOS does not'.

So, rather than trying to start a flame war, please actually test things and try to be constructive. Obviously, Zimbra would rather things work on CentOS than not work. But we have an obligation to our user base to be clear on what we find does and does not work. RHEL4 is working.
    --Quanah
    I think what needs to happen here is that the original post needs to clear out a bit with real facts, and an apology that the guy was clueless who posted that statement saying CentOS does not work : would go a long way down that path.

On the other hand, if there really is a problem in the CentOS-4 packages, you need to point out what the problem is, since if the OP is to be believed, Zimbra has already identified what the issue is. And we can work with you on fixing it. Also, as I have already stated, I dont use Zimbra, but I know there are a lot of users on CentOS who do - and it might be worth everyone's effort if the issue, if there is one, was resolved.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information