Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: [SOLVED] CentOS is NOT supported

  1. #11
    SpEnTBoY is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rwc101010 View Post
    An enhancement request for Official CentOS Support has been filed in Bugzilla - Bug 23487.

    I would encourage those interested in Official CentOS Support to go vote for the bug to show their interest.
    On a side note (for someone who has everything working on CentOS5) I would be willing to test/break/tune/help with getting CentOS5 officially supported

    I run CentOS5 at home because of it's binary _mostly_ compatibility with with what my enterprise environment is at work (RHEL4 RHEL5 and yeah even some RHEL3 lol). Anyway ... personally I would love to have RHEL5 at home legitimately but for personal stuff I use CentOS5.

    I hate supported distro flame wars and would rather help to have another distro supported is need be. Idealy I'd be running ZCS Network and RHEL5 at home with Zimbra Mobile ... but for 3 accounts I can't justify the cost LOL

    Anyway ... just throwing my hat in to help if it's a direction that Zimbra decides is valid in pursuing.

  2. #12
    shaver is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    (b) RHEL5 works just fine with Scalar::Util. If CentOS5 doesn't, then CentOS5 has the problem.
    I would agree completely, but I don't see where you show CentOS 5 having the problem? You only show that RHEL4 (a supported platform, AFAICT!) has the problem with dualvar, from my reading.
    So as you can clearly see, the Scalar::Util shipped by RHEL5 does not have this problem. The version shipped by RHEL4 does. Using Zimbra's Scalar::Util shipped with RHEL4 solves the problem:

    So, rather than trying to start a flame war, please actually test things and try to be constructive. Obviously, Zimbra would rather things work on CentOS than not work. But we have an obligation to our user base to be clear on what we find does and does not work. RHEL4 is working.
    I don't quite understand this: you say that the version shipped by RHEL4 doesn't work (in that it has the Scalar::Util problem), and then you say that RHEL4 is working. Could you clarify what you mean here? Is there any reason to believe that the RHEL4 Scalar::Util workaround wouldn't work on CentOS 4 as well?

    I have a CentOS-based deployment right now, and while I'd switch to a supported operating system if I had to, it sure looks like RHEL is identical to CentOS in this regard, which seems at odds with part of your statements and all of jholder's. Can you clarify what the CentOS problem is?

    Mike

  3. #13
    litkaj is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Exton, PA
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaver View Post
    Is there any reason to believe that the RHEL4 Scalar::Util workaround wouldn't work on CentOS 4 as well?
    One of the reasons why I use CentOS for most of my server deployments these days is that it is binary-compatible with the same version of RHEL. I see no need to pay for support when I never use it.

    It is extraordinarily unlikely that there is a bug in CentOS that does not also exist in RHEL. If there is a workaround for RHEL4 then it should also work on CentOS4. Of course, if something did slip through, people like Johnny will fix it if someone would only detail what the issue actually is.
    Jason Litka
    Utter Ramblings

  4. #14
    quanah is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Zimbra
    Posts
    1,285
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaver View Post
    I would agree completely, but I don't see where you show CentOS 5 having the problem? You only show that RHEL4 (a supported platform, AFAICT!) has the problem with dualvar, from my reading.
    I don't quite understand this: you say that the version shipped by RHEL4 doesn't work (in that it has the Scalar::Util problem), and then you say that RHEL4 is working. Could you clarify what you mean here? Is there any reason to believe that the RHEL4 Scalar::Util workaround wouldn't work on CentOS 4 as well?

    I have a CentOS-based deployment right now, and while I'd switch to a supported operating system if I had to, it sure looks like RHEL is identical to CentOS in this regard, which seems at odds with part of your statements and all of jholder's. Can you clarify what the CentOS problem is?

    Mike
    The original poster made a comment about RHEL5/CentOS5. I was simply noting that I don't see any problems with RHEL5/CentSO5, and therefore the comment was irrelevant to the discussion. What is relevant is this:

    RHEL4 ships with a broken version of Scalar::Util. For 5.0.0_GA, Zimbra ships its own Scalar::Util for the RHEL4 platform. What I was demonstrating is that even though the RHEL4 Scalar::Util is broken, the Zimbra shipped Scalar::Util works. What has been said in the forums is that the Zimbra shipped Scalar::Util was not working for some people on CentOS4. I've not been able to reproduce that issue myself. I will note that the Scalar::Util shipped with CentOS4 (The system Scalar::Util) is definitely different than the Scalar::Util shipped on RHEL4, since it does not have the XS issue that the RHEL4 one does.

    So, what's this mean? It means that I've not been able to reproduce the issue that people reported with CentOS4 at all. But I'm going to assume that the people who encountered it really had it.

    --Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

  5. #15
    shaver is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    The original poster made a comment about RHEL5/CentOS5. I was simply noting that I don't see any problems with RHEL5/CentSO5, and therefore the comment was irrelevant to the discussion.
    Thank you very much for that clarification. I suppose we need to wait for jholder to clarify what problems he was seeing with CentOS that led to his somewhat cryptic -- but also, unfortunately, somewhat disruptive! -- post saying that CentOS had a problem that RHEL didn't have.

    Mike

  6. #16
    SpEnTBoY is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Regina, Sask.
    Posts
    215
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaver View Post
    Thank you very much for that clarification. I suppose we need to wait for jholder to clarify what problems he was seeing with CentOS that led to his somewhat cryptic -- but also, unfortunately, somewhat disruptive! -- post saying that CentOS had a problem that RHEL didn't have.

    Mike
    Well this is one problem

    I run CentOS5 and the initial installation failed. I did this:
    Code:
    perl -MCPAN -e shell
    force install Scalar::Util
    and it all worked fine afterwards. I did not however, test an install on RHEL5 so I can't comment on that or any other problems that might have surfaced.

    regards,
    Lonny

  7. #17
    quanah is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Zimbra
    Posts
    1,285
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by z00dax View Post
    quanah, I take it from your signature that you are fairly high on the food chain - so I recommend you do a few things. Start by reading the original post here : CentOS is NOT supported
    I've read the post many times.

    I suggest you start with the initial thread:
    first installation ZCS 5.0GA on centos 4.6 failed

    where users describe running into problems installing 5.0.0_GA on CentOS4.6. That is what prompted the entire discussion.


    There is ZERO technical merit in that statement and in that post, there is nothing that says that its RHEL-4 he is talking about. Including vague stuff like "
    We've identified that the issue is not with Zimbra, but rather CentOS." does not help the situation since its not backed up with *any* technical facts, if you guys really do have a clue what you are talking about, highlight the issue so someone can do something about it, rather than making generic statements that really just amount to FUD.
    What we identified is that only users of CentOS4 were reporting hitting the problem. On RHEL4, we don't have the issue. I.e., we were clearly able to identify that the problem was not specifically with the Zimbra 5.0.0_GA release.


    I again suggest you read the OP, the issue whatever it is was identified by your people and isolated aparently by them. Perhaps you guys should talk a bit more amongst yourselves as well ?
    I'm not sure what you mean here. I'm the one who has been working on the issue. I've been working with John Holder to make sure he knew what things we had or had not identified in a given period of time.

    The only reason we are here in your forum to clear the FUD you are creating is because we have had a number of users come back and say there is an issue somewhere. I dont use the product, but I know there are users who do. As I have already said in my previous post to this thread, identify an issue and we can try to fix it, if you dont have an issue - shut up and stop creating FUD.

    BTW, you might be interested in knowing that your people have already privately admitted to testing on CentOS. Which I would presume makes sense. Perhaps you are just not aware of this testing ? Again, communication breakdown within Zimbra ?
    I don't believe we've created any FUD. Our users reported a problem with a specific operating system. As noted, we only officially test (QA) on RHEL. Yes, some people use CentOS internally on their own systems. However, those are not part of our QA process. So what they use internally for their own stuff is completley immaterial.


    I dont see how someone might confuse that to imply that 'RHEL works but CentOS does not'.
    Because the problem being reported was only happening on CentOS4 and not reproducible on RHEL4. Plus as I've noted, RHEL4 and CentOS4 definitely differ in their XS support.


    I think what needs to happen here is that the original post needs to clear out a bit with real facts, and an apology that the guy was clueless who posted that statement saying CentOS does not work : would go a long way down that path.
    You want the original user who posted that he was hitting issues with CentOS 4.6 to say they were clueless and issue an apology? I think that's stretching things a bit. They hit a real problem. What do they have to apologize for?

    On the other hand, if there really is a problem in the CentOS-4 packages, you need to point out what the problem is, since if the OP is to be believed, Zimbra has already identified what the issue is. And we can work with you on fixing it. Also, as I have already stated, I dont use Zimbra, but I know there are a lot of users on CentOS who do - and it might be worth everyone's effort if the issue, if there is one, was resolved.
    As I said, I myself have been unable to reproduce it. So far, no one has been able to provide me a system that has the issue so that I can look at it. So, do real users on CentOS seem to be running into an issue? Yes. Can I reproduce it? No. Do I have a system on which the problem has occurred to examine? No. Would I like to know for sure that CentOS4 doesn't have the problem, or identify what the issue is, so it can be fixed? Of course. That's why I've taken the time to look at it.

    --Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

  8. #18
    hughesjr is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    I suggest you start with the initial thread:
    http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...-6-failed.html
    I did read it .. you yourself say that you did not have this problem on CentOS-4.6. When you did the install, it worked fine.

    In fact, I do a little more research and I see this:

    #27598: XS version error from Compress:Zlib

    What I see here is CentOS-4.6 works exactly like RHEL-4.6 ... how am I worng?

  9. #19
    quanah is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Zimbra
    Posts
    1,285
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hughesjr View Post
    What I see here is CentOS-4.6 works exactly like RHEL-4.6 ... how am I worng?
    I don't see anything in that bug about CentOS-4.6, myself. I do see a bit about CentOS 3.9.

    In any case, here is how CentOS4 and RHEL4 differ:

    Code:
    [root@zimbra-061 tmp]# cat /etc/redhat-release 
    CentOS release 4.6 (Final)
    [root@zimbra-061 tmp]# cat /tmp/system.pl 
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use lib "/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5";
    use Scalar::Util qw (dualvar);
    [root@zimbra-061 tmp]# perl /tmp/system.pl 
    [root@zimbra-061 tmp]#
    As you can see, on this stock CentOS 4.6 system, there is no error returned about Scalar::Util.

    Now for RHEL4 Update 6:

    Code:
    [root@qa07 tmp]# cat /etc/redhat-release 
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 6)
    [root@qa07 tmp]# cat /tmp/system.pl 
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    use lib "/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.5";
    use Scalar::Util qw (dualvar);
    [root@qa07 tmp]# perl /tmp/system.pl 
     is only avaliable with the XS version at /tmp/system.pl line 3
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /tmp/system.pl line 3.
    [root@qa07 tmp]#
    So, decidedly not the same behavior.

    --Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

  10. #20
    hughesjr is offline Intermediate Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    24
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    and on that system, what is:

    rpm -q perl

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED] Re: CentOS Official Support
    By langs in forum Administrators
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 11:33 AM
  2. [SOLVED] CentOS is NOT supported
    By uxbod in forum Users
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2008, 04:06 PM
  3. CentOS is NOT supported
    By jholder in forum Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 06:11 PM
  4. OS Selection... Any Centos NE users out there?
    By timothyalangorman in forum Installation
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 08:04 AM
  5. Zimbra startup hangs after install CentOS 4.2
    By eger in forum Installation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-10-2006, 11:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •