Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtualization Zimbra

phvt is offline Member

Just to toss out another option--we are testing Zimbra on a Virtuozzo VE (the open source core of this is OpenVZ). I can't personally compare it to Xen or VMWare, but I've been happy with our ability to shuttle the VE around to new hardware as needed. We'll see what happens as we put higher loads on Zimbra.

djtremors is offline New Member

Xen virtualization rocks. Running multiple guests with primary/primary DRBD so migration between 2 physical servers is a dream even using gigabit for DRBD backbone is enough which I got 40MB/s on a simple crossover cable.

But I suggest if you use Centos 5 to use the updated 5.1 as GFS2 was flakey and seemed to give me grief with locking deadlocks between the 2 server cluster.

I tests 5.1 cluster with Xen and DRBD, was great. Massive transfers didn't get effected anymore.

I love the bare metal speeds of Xen, everything runs as fast as the host.. well, i can barely tell.

system at my work :

2 x dual quad core 16GB RAM
    2 x 250GB SATA3 mirror

i'm happy.

windependence is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by djtremors View Post
    Xen virtualization rocks. Running multiple guests with primary/primary DRBD so migration between 2 physical servers is a dream even using gigabit for DRBD backbone is enough which I got 40MB/s on a simple crossover cable.

But I suggest if you use Centos 5 to use the updated 5.1 as GFS2 was flakey and seemed to give me grief with locking deadlocks between the 2 server cluster.

I tests 5.1 cluster with Xen and DRBD, was great. Massive transfers didn't get effected anymore.

I love the bare metal speeds of Xen, everything runs as fast as the host.. well, i can barely tell.

system at my work :

2 x dual quad core 16GB RAM
    2 x 250GB SATA3 mirror

i'm happy.
    Can you explain the primary/primary DRBD (not sure what you are referring to). It seems interesting. Really I am very interested in keeping free and open source but the CD thing with Xen was a showstopper for me. Can you do an install of the guest from say a USB drive with XEN? That would be an option.

-Tim
    The box said Windows XP or better.....so I installed FreeBSD.

djtremors is offline New Member

Well I'll explain my system so it makes sense.

I have 2 servers with software raid 1 SATA disks with a root file system and a /xen filesystem

the /xen is a /dev/drbd0 in primary/primary mode which is only supported on drbd 8.0.6 (I believe) and using GFS2 as a clustering filesystem.
    I use the /dev/drbd0 to store the Xen images as well as the configuration to start them.

In primary/primary mode, both the live and backup servers can mount the shared filesystem at the same time, because GFS2 and DLM is used to keep the locking in order, they can create files and instantly the other server can see it. The great thing about this is that you can use the Xen migration tool to move a Xen guest from the live server to the backup without kicking users off or shutting down the guests. You can't do this on a primary/secondary system as the migration expects the backup server to start the guests and take over the system state but it can't as secondaries can't mount disks, only primary modes can...

you can do a `watch -n 1 -d ls -l /xen/` and go to the other server and quickly create files and you see it immediately on the first server (using protocol C in drbd).

primary/primary mode is a great way to mount a shared system without a SAN and reduces the SPOF.

hope that makes it clearer.

windependence is offline Intermediate Member

Thanks, I have been looking for something exactly like this.

-Tim
    The box said Windows XP or better.....so I installed FreeBSD.

quanah is online now Zimbra Employee

Default Xen does not support Berkeley DB & OpenLDAP

The only thing I will caution about in using Xen, is that it is known to not work with Berkeley DB. This means the OpenLDAP database will eventually. This is because OpenLDAP relies on assembly mutexes.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=91933
    Re: OpenLDAP 2.2 and db4 under RHEL4 on Xen 3.0
    --Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

fcash is offline Elite Member

Note: this bug was in reference to Xen 2.x, back in 2006. Xen 3.1 is the latest version.
    Freddie

Quote Originally Posted by fcash View Post
    Note: this bug was in reference to Xen 2.x, back in 2006. Xen 3.1 is the latest version.
    Someone hit this issue recently, although I don't know what Xen version they were running. I'll see if I can dig it up. If someone has proof that the underlying problem has since been fixed in Xen 3.1, that'd be great.
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Rich Graves is offline Outstanding Member

I've got some xen hosts. Are there some simple unit tests I can run? I have had xen guests running since 5.0beta1, though they never had heavy ldap write concurrency.

I know that RHEL 4.6 and 5.1 add some nptl-related magic incantations to ld.so.conf.d for xen guests only, but I can't pretend to understand them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Graves View Post
    I know that RHEL 4.6 and 5.1 add some nptl-related magic incantations to ld.so.conf.d for xen guests only, but I can't pretend to understand them.
    Well, I can confirm that as of Xen 3.0.4, this is still an issue. Rich, are your systems xen 3.1?
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information