Thread: Could you please suggest about webmail?

jjoracle is offline Starter Member

Default Could you please suggest about webmail?

Now I'm testing and want to implement Mail Hosting system and I want to use Zimbra product as webmail and groupware system. But I have an external LDAP.

How can I implement zimbra to work as webmail ?
    Can I install only some part of zimbra to work as webmail only?
    Does zimbra has to download all mail for users to access?
    Because I have and POP server to keep mail for customers already.

Thank you for your suggestion.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Welcome to the forums,
    Quote Originally Posted by jjoracle View Post
    Now I'm testing and want to implement Mail Hosting system and I want to use Zimbra product as webmail and groupware system. But I have an external LDAP.
    You can use it as a global address list (GAL) & authenticate against this external ldap if you wish. LDAP Authentication - Zimbra :: Wiki (There's a nice wizard in the admin console gui to help take care of this.)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjoracle View Post
    How can I implement zimbra to work as webmail ?
    Can I install only some part of zimbra to work as webmail only?
    Does zimbra has to download all mail for users to access?
    Because I have and POP server to keep mail for customers already.
    It's not very easy to separate out 'just the web-client.'
    Zimbra is an email-server uses it's own customized instances of a serious collection of software packages - OpenLDAP, MySQL, Apache, Tomcat, Jetty(5.0), Postfix, Lucene, Verity, ClamAV, SpamAssassin, DSPAM (though off by default) AMaViS/Amavisd-new, Aspell, James/Sieve, Perdition, NGINX(5.0), etc.
    A blog article that discusses this: /blog/archives/2006/08/ajax_innovation.html

However you could imapsync or use webmin and fetchmail setups to grab the mail from your current solution (search the forums and you'll find tidbits).
    Or a really strange setup (& you wouldn't have much control over it unless you configured them, then locked down the preferences tab) would be to have them create external IMAP/POP accounts in the zimbra web-client... (external pop in 4.5, external POP & IMAP is available in 5.0)

Though honestly you'll find the experience much better if you're just on one 'mailserver platform' and use zimbra for everything web-client, IMAP, & POP access...

If you currently use a hosting panel where they have control of their accounts you could use delegated/domain admins available in the NE edition or make your own portal. Compare ZCS Editions Check out some of the soap docs here: SourceForge.net Repository - [zimbra] Index of /trunk/ZimbraServer/docs

Because you probably won't do them 'all at once': Split Domain - Zimbra :: Wiki
    (You could also use a proxy and flip people over using a back-end ldap value to determine which box they connect to (old pop or new pop).

User Migration - Zimbra :: Wiki

NE Trial
    Docs: /products/documentation.html
    FOSS

jjoracle is offline Starter Member

Thank you for your suggestion.

Can I ask more some details. If I use GAL with external LDAP can I manage user account with Zimbra?

If I use imapsync or webmin and fetchmail as you mention, I still have to full install zimbra (include every component) or not?

I want to test with external LDAP but I don't know what is search term (require)?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by jjoracle; 12-27-2007 at 02:39 AM.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

All of your accounts must be provisioned in Zimbra as well as your external LDAP, you'll find the search terms in the forums or wiki.

You have to install the full Zimbra package, it's not possible to separate the components and use only selected parts of Zimbra.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information