Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrading to network edition

zzzzsg is offline Senior Member

Default upgrading to network edition

Hi Zimbra Sales Support

We are using the free Zimbra 4.5 edition now on Fedora 4, and plan to upgrade to the commercial Network edition. But there are a couple of problems:

1) There is no Zimbra 4.5 Network edition binaries for Fedora. There is Zimbra 4.5 Network edition binaries for Redhat Enterprise Linux 5 (REHL 5) Can we use Centos 5 instead of REHL 5?

2) I know it is possible to run the Zimbra 4.5 Network Edition's setup.sh and it will just upgrade the existing free Zimbra 4.5 free edition to network edition. But to do this, we have to upgrade our OS from Fedora 4 to Centos 5 (assuming it can be used in place of REHL 5) and that is not acceptable as it will be too disruptive. Can Zimbra 4.5 Network Edition binaries for REHL5 be installed on Fedora4 to upgrade the existing free Zimbra 4.5?
    If this is not possible, We would have to get a new machine and install Centos 5 and Zimbra 4.5 Network edition on it, rather than upgrade our live server to Zimbra network edition. (this will be costly!) Question is how do we transfer all the accounts and mails from our live server to the new server?

Thank you.

Gui

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Gui-
    CentOS 5 is not officially supported, and if you contact Zimbra support, they will inform you of that.

However, some users are able to use CentOS without issue with Network Edition (Search the forums on that).

We don't provide a Network Edition for Fedora because Fedora is more of a desktop linux system, and RHEL is a enterprise server.

If you migrate servers, I would suggest using the Blog tip I wrote on how to migrate servers. Go to the blog to find that.

If you upgrade to the Network Edition, I will personally help you migrate your server. We want to keep you happy

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

lol..took me 4 min to write the reply and in between jholder replied 2 time....
    ---------
    1) Yes..CentOS 5 = RHEL 5 technically as its binary compatible with red hat

2) With fedora you are out of luck if you trying to install network edition.

Yes you have to move from Fedora to CentOS first and only way to do without downtime is setup another server with CentOS 5.1 and follow the following wiki link
    http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/...er_server.html

Also search for forum for other things you may need to do to move from Fedora to CentOS.

Once you have SAME OSS version running on CentOS 5.1 then only you upgrade to network version

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

zzzzsg is offline Senior Member

Thank you Raj and Jholder.

Although CentOS is RHEL binary compatible, if Zimbra does not support it officially -- then it is a risk.

Maybe we will have to look at ubuntu.

Thank you once again.

Quote Originally Posted by raj View Post
    lol..took me 4 min to write the reply and in between jholder replied 2 time....
    ---------
    1) Yes..CentOS 5 = RHEL 5 technically as its binary compatible with red hat

2) With fedora you are out of luck if you trying to install network edition.
    Once you have SAME OSS version running on CentOS 5.1 then only you upgrade to network version

Raj

If you have to choose, choose Centos

I know I'll get flamed for that, but it's my option.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

CentOS is not officially supported for Zimbra Network Edition, it's also not unofficially supported either. The current support policy (and terms of the licence agreement) is that you must install Zimbra on a supported platform to receive support from Zimbra for NE.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

raj
    raj is offline Moderator

Whats wrong with with saving some $350 per year by using CentOS and not RedHat

Do you think CentOS will be a supported platform in the very near future

Raj
    i2k2 Networks
    Dedicated & Shared Zimbra Hosting Provider

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Whats wrong with with saving some $350 per year by using CentOS and not RedHat
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with saving the money until something goes wrong with Operating System that needs a quick fix by the Vendor. Who provides that for CentOS? If your email is anything that you rely on then get a supported operating sytem installed - that's the requirement for Network Edition. We also verify that it runs on RHEL systems, we don't do that for CentOS.

Do you think CentOS will be a supported platform in the very near future j
    It's always under discussion but couldn't saywhat will happen in the future but I wouldn't hold my breath.

This subject has cropped up many times in the forums and the answer is always the same. Please search if you want to see the previous responses.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Actually, if you're going to be a network edition user, Phoenix is right, and you should be running on a supported OS. End of story.

So, use Ubuntu if you can't go with RedHat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information