Thread: Looping Mail

knabe is offline Trained Alumni

Default Looping Mail

I have edge mx hosts that do all of my mail filtering for spam/viruses. I have them set up us my smtp hosts for my zimbra server. But when I am sending mail it is continuously looping between the two hosts. Any suggestions on where to start?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

What error messages are you seeing? Is it the 'mail loops back to myself? If it is then check this thread.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

sendmail[1620]: lBBJ0HiI001620: SYSERR(root): Too many hops 37 (35 max): from via mail1.test.domain.com, to

This is the mail log on my gateway server. I don't have an mx record set up yet, because I am still testing, and while my exampe is test.domain.com it is a production mail domain. I am currently trying to test both a zimbra and new gateway servers. But I did try relaying through my production gateway and got the same resulting loop.

When I installed zimbra I used test.domain.com instead of mail1.test.domain.com because on a previous install when I was sending mail from webmail I was sending to user@mail1.test.domain.com instead of user@test.domain.com.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by knabe View Post
    sendmail[1620]: lBBJ0HiI001620: SYSERR(root): Too many hops 37 (35 max): from via mail1.test.domain.com, to

This is the mail log on my gateway server. I don't have an mx record set up yet, because I am still testing, and while my exampe is test.domain.com it is a production mail domain. I am currently trying to test both a zimbra and new gateway servers. But I did try relaying through my production gateway and got the same resulting loop.
    You need a valid A & MX record pointing to the Zimbra server.

Quote Originally Posted by knabe View Post
    sendmail[1620]When I installed zimbra I used test.domain.com instead of mail1.test.domain.com because on a previous install when I was sending mail from webmail I was sending to user@mail1.test.domain.com instead of user@test.domain.com.
    You should have changed the domain name when you originally installed Zimbra, it's an option during the first clean install, you could also have changed that later on via the Admin UI. In any case, you still need those DNS records.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I do have a valid a record. I don't need a valid mx record for the zimbra server because I have a valid mx record for my mx server. It then has an alias file that redirects mail to the zimbra server: ie.

user: user@zimbra.domain.example.com

If I configure zimbra to receive mail for domain zimbra.domain.example.com then it works, but I don't want the servername as part of the domain, it should be able to receive mail for domain.example.com without redirecting back.

Thread Information