Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to New Server - Error -help

sternfan is offline Special Member

Question Moving to New Server - Error -help

Hi all,

I am following JHolder's directions http://www.zimbra.com/blog/archives/...er_server.html

And I get to Part 4, Step 5 (the last step) - where I run the install again as an upgrade.
    I then get the following error:

Fetching CA from ldap...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException bradmail.bradnet.local:389)
    ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException bradmail.bradnet.local:389)

AND

Setting up syslog.conf...ERROR: service.FAILURE (system failure: getDirectContext) (cause: javax.naming.CommunicationException bradmail.bradnet.local:389)
    Done

The install then completes, but nothing is working. I've followed the directions to the letter and verified hostnames, network settings etc - looks OK.

Any help greatly appreciated,
    Rob

If I try to zmcontrol stop - I get this:

ldap_url and ldap_master_url cannot be the same on an ldap replica

Something is not working....

Thanks,
    Rob

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

If you run the installer over your good install. . .and it fails, it will wipe your localconfig the second time you run it.

Looks like that's what happened.

Copy the following files from your backup (I'm listing the original local)

/opt/zimbra/.saveconfig
    /opt/zimbra/conf/localconfig.xml

and place then in your good install. Then rerun the installer.

Hey - thanks for the reply.

Can I just copy the .saveconfig and the localconfig.xml files from the old server to the new?

Rob

Yeah.

So there are two issues here, and your current problem isn't the "real" problem.

The question is why did your first install fail? What's happening now, is only a result of the second failure.

So, once you have the files copied over, rerun the installer. When it fails (and it probably will), follow up with us and let us know.

I have seen (in some cases) that if you rerun the installer, the installer won't read your local config on restore.

In this case, when the installer starts, one of the first lines it reads will be something about backing up or reading local configuration. then it will pause waiting for you to hit enter.

Before you hit enter to allow the installer to proceed, open a second ssh session, and erase /opt/zimbra/.saveconfig and move over your backup .saveconfig.

Then, allow the installer to proceed.

Hope that makes sense.

Hi Jholder,

I'm done for the day - a 12 hour saturday sucks. I replaced the files you mentioned above, ran the install - got the same results. I then replaced them a second time, ran the install again - got to the "reading local config" part - and replaced the files again. Same issues as above...

I have no idea what I did wrong - the only thing I think I might have done was reboot the server after one of the steps (not sure which one - long day).

Anyways - I am going to reschedule this - reinstall the server from scratch and start from the beginning.

Thanks,
    Rob

Question

Hi all,

What I did: Old system is zimbra 4.5.5 running on FC4. To keep things simple, I put FC4 on the new server & installed everything in the install manual.

I followed the instructions on JHolder's blog and everything went well until the last step. This happened last saturday evening.

Thoughts so far:

- The final step was an in-place "upgrade." So I did some searching and there were a few LDAP issues with people trying to upgrade 4.5.5. Something about resetting passwords for LDAP, MYSQL and the logger.

- javax - what is this? Java? Should this be installed? Because I did NOT install this on the new server. If so - what Java should I install - I think there is one with the Zimbra install package.

I would like to try this move one more time. My plan is to reinstall FC4 to the new server so everything starts from a "known good." No possible errors from last week. And if I can figure out (probably with some help) what went wrong, I will probably try it again this saturday.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Rob

Hey Stern-
    We bundle java with Zimbra, so no worries there.

Also, are you trying to upgrade while your migrating, or are you using the same version?

jh

Same version. FC4 with Zimbra 4.5.5. I only mention the "upgrade" because that pops up at the end of the directions & I noticed that when some people upgrade 4.5.5 they get LDAP issues.

Rob

Well,
    What might be helpful, is as you do this, copy the output to a txt file and attach it to this post. That way we can follow along.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information