Thread: Does adding smtpd_milters to main.cf in postfix work?

Default Does adding smtpd_milters to main.cf in postfix work?

I am still trying to get mailarchiva to work with Zimbra, and with the new edition v1.6 of mailarchiva, it is supposed to work seamlessly with postfix if you add two lines to the main.cf file in postfix.

So I added the following lines to /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf/main.cf

milter_default_action = tempfail
    smtpd_milters = inet:127.0.0.1:8092

I then reloaded postfix, and sent some messages to see what would happen. Mailarchiva is installed on the same server and is listening on port 8092, but nothing is getting passed to mailarchiva, although they are delivered to their intended recipients.

I would like to know if the changes I made to the main.cf file in Zimbra were done in the right place, and if postfix implemented them? Or do I need to make the changes to another part of the postfix install within zimbra?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

mmorse is offline Moderator

you might try /opt/zimbra/conf/zmmta.cf

Default Solved

Simpler thing to solve than I initially thought. Zimbra v4.5.10 uses Postfix 2.29, a version older than Postfix 2.3. The smtpd_milters function was not available in postfix before version 2.3. So the smtpd_milters command that I was placing in the main.cf file to forward messages to mailarchiva would not work.

I decided to do a new install of Zimbra v5 RC2 and Mailarchiva v1.6 on a new server. Once both programs were installed, and I had verified that they were each running, I added the recommended config lines from mailarchiva to the main.cf file in /opt/zimbra/postfix/conf. Once those lines had been added every message sent by zimbra was automatically archived by the mailarchiva server.

I don't present this solution to take anything away from the guys at Zimbra, because I have tested Scalix and Open Xchange and other similar opensource message solutions, and Zimbra is head and shoulders better than the others. Easier install, simpler management, and significantly better UI.

I chose to use MailArchiva v1.6 to archive messages because I wanted an opensource archive solution. I know that you can purchase an archive tool from Zimbra to be used with the Network version, but I was trying to create a fully opensource solution.

Now that I have Zimbra v5 RC2 working effectively with MailArchiva v1.6 for message archiving, I will begin introducing the solution to other companies that fall under Sarbanes-Oxley for message retention. This is the only small business affordable solution.

Thanks again to the guys at Zimbra for creating such a fantastic product!

Thread Information