Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fedora 8 install

quanah is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by BarBaar View Post
    Got the exact same error!

Running:
    CentOS 5.1 x86_64 (Xen DomainU)
    What's relevant is that you are using Xen, which, as discussed, is broken for use with things that do assembly level locking (Like Oracle BDB).
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------
    Zimbra :: the leader in open source messaging and collaboration

BarBaar is offline Active Member

Do you have a link for me to this discussion? Having a hard time finding it

And I did manage to install Zimbra 5.01 (detail added later)... Howcome this version suddenly fails?

Do you have a link for me to this discussion? Having a hard time finding it

And I did manage to install Zimbra 5.01 (detail added later)... Howcome this version suddenly fails?
    Virtualization Zimbra

And how and when things fail with Xen depends on when it decides to fail. I.e., there's nothing set about it. It simply doesn't support the locking code, and at some point, that will get triggered and problems will occur.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Hmm, I doubt it. Okay, the bug was there once. But the last thing I see about is from redhat is over 2 years old.

But, there is a test in the thread you mention, if I execute it:
    Code:
    [root@zldap zimbra]# cd openldap-data/
    [root@zldap openldap-data]# ls
    alock  db  __db.001  __db.002  __db.003  __db.004  __db.005  DB_CONFIG  dn2id.bdb  id2entry.bdb  logs
    [root@zldap openldap-data]# /opt/zimbra/sleepycat/bin/db_recover
    [root@zldap openldap-data]#
    No problems, but maybe that's because my installation fails (??)..

And there is one more thing here; The install fails because the database is allready in use (see my debugging info on my first post). ps -ef actual shows a process running slapd. So the debugging output does make sense.

Killing this process and running the debugging-command again succesfully starts slapd.

So I really do believe there's no Xen issue here...

Besides this:
    I am running virtualized OpenLdap servers and MySQL servers ( see 0000869: MySQL fails to start on fresh install - can't init databases - CentOS Bug Tracker) for several years. So I am finding it hard to believe I hit this bug two times in one day

Well, little update:

I just removed the installed Zimbra 5.02 compontents. After this I succesfully installed Zimbra 5.01 (ldap and snmp component) on the exact same host.

Then I removed the 5.01 compontents again en installed the 5.02 release. And again it fails with the exact same error..

I really think think this shows Xen is not the issue here. It's definitly got something to do with the 5.02 release.

Any ideas on how to get closer tothe issue??

masionas is offline Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I am also trying to install Zimbra 5.02 Open Source Edition on FC8. Same error - initializing ldap. I would really appreciate if someone has a workaround to share.

BTW, install 5.01 version on my FC8 gives same ldap error as 5.02
    Last edited by masionas; 02-12-2008 at 08:31 AM.

I really think think this shows Xen is not the issue here. It's definitly got something to do with the 5.02 release.

Any ideas on how to get closer tothe issue??
    I use CentOS5 x86_64 for some of my test machines, and I've installed it multiple times without any problems. Of course, I don't use Xen.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Quote Originally Posted by masionas View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am also trying to install Zimbra 5.02 Open Source Edition on FC8.
    As noted previously, the FOSS build is for Fedora 7, not for Fedora 8. I'd advise using the supported release.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Quote Originally Posted by quanah View Post
    I use CentOS5 x86_64 for some of my test machines, and I've installed it multiple times without any problems. Of course, I don't use Xen.

--Quanah
    So did I, until I tried 5.02..

I think I proved, by successfully installing 5.01, that Xen is not the issue here. And the fact that there is a process running that is blocking the install-script proves this again.

I'm getting a bit disappointed you're refusing to look beyond the Xen issue, to be honest.

Can you try to find out why this process is already running or what has changed that could cause this? After all, that's the real issue here. Before we really can blame Xen, we need to be able to explain that Xen is causing a process to run that blocks the installer (and yes, this sounds very unlikely to me).

I have diff'ed both install.sh and zmldapinit and there's no notable difference. What other script has changed in this release and is involved in the ldap-installation?

So did I, until I tried 5.02..

I think I proved, by successfully installing 5.01, that Xen is not the issue here. And the fact that there is a process running that is blocking the install-script proves this again.

I'm getting a bit disappointed you're refusing to look beyond the Xen issue, to be honest.

Can you try to find out why this process is already running or what has changed that could cause this? After all, that's the real issue here. Before we really can blame Xen, we need to be able to explain that Xen is causing a process to run that blocks the installer (and yes, this sounds very unlikely to me).

I have diff'ed both install.sh and zmldapinit and there's no notable difference. What other script has changed in this release and is involved in the ldap-installation?
    See, I don't think you've proved that it isn't Xen. The fact that you are ending up with a running slapd process would more indicate to me that it is, because that implies something is not allowing slapd to shut down correctly. I've already installed the 5.0.2 release 4 times today on my 2 CentOS5 x86_64 boxes, and none of those times did I hit any install issues.

The db_recover step I listed in the virtualization thread *might* show if you have a problem with Xen, it doesn't guarantee it. We've also already proven via both customer and other FOSS users experiences in the virtualization thread and another thread that the bug exists, for a fact, in current Xen releases. If you can do a 5.0.2 install on CentOS 5 x86_64 without Xen, and hit the problem, at that point I'm going to be a lot more interested.

--Quanah
    Quanah Gibson-Mount
    Server Architect
    Zimbra, Inc
    --------------------

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information