Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installation fails on ubuntu 7.10

josevis is offline New Member

Default installation fails on ubuntu 7.10

I'm installing Zimbra on a local ubuntu server.

-Here is the tutorial I'm using:
    How To Install Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS) On Ubuntu | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

-Here's the output:
    chown: `zimbra:zimbra': invalid user

Operations logged to /tmp/install.log.5182
    Checking for existing installation...
    zimbra-ldap...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-logger...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-mta...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-snmp...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-store...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-apache...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-spell...NOT FOUND
    zimbra-core...NOT FOUND
    ./util/utilfunc.sh: line 457: rpm: command not found

PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SOFTWARE.
    ZIMBRA, INC. ("ZIMBRA") WILL ONLY LICENSE THIS SOFTWARE TO YOU IF YOU
    FIRST ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. BY DOWNLOADING OR INSTALLING
    THE SOFTWARE, OR USING THE PRODUCT, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO BE BOUND BY
    THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO ALL OF THE TERMS OF THIS
    AGREEMENT, THEN DO NOT DOWNLOAD, INSTALL OR USE THE PRODUCT.

License Terms for the Zimbra Collaboration Suite:
    http://www.zimbra.com/license/zimbra..._eula_2.1.html

Press Return to continue

Checking for prerequisites...
    NPTL...FOUND
    sudo...MISSING
    libidn...MISSING
    curl...MISSING
    fetchmail...MISSING
    gmp...MISSING
    /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5...MISSING

###ERROR###

One or more prerequisite packages are missing.
    Please install them before running this installer.

Installation cancelled.

- I've installed all of the prerequisites per the tutorial and everything went smooth.

I would really appreciate any help!

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Per the guide:
    This guide shows how to install the Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS) on Ubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft) and 6.06 (Dapper Drake) server systems.
    Ubuntu 7.10 is not supported either by the tutorial, or our installer. Try installing ubuntu 6.06.

mmorse is offline Moderator

curl...MISSING
    For instance you would run:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install curl
    (repeat for other missing packages)

NE: products/documentation.html
    FOSS: /community/documentation.html
    There's also:Ubuntu_6.06_Server_(Dapper_Drake)_Beginner's_Insta ll_Guide - Zimbra :: Wiki

If you're using NE you won't get help by zimbra technical support, so it's more for FOSS installs, but you can see this article:
    Ubuntu 7.04 & 7.10 (Feisty Fawn & Gutsy Gibbon) Install - Zimbra :: Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by jholder View Post
    Per the guide:

Ubuntu 7.10 is not supported either by the tutorial, or our installer. Try installing ubuntu 6.06.
    6.06 has issues

For some reason, 6.06 won't support my video card drivers so I can't get it to work properly. Never even get to a point where I can install ssh.

Thanks though!

I'm aware of how to install the packages, however what you missed was the fact that the packages are actually up-to-date. I'm assuming its' because 7.10 isn't supported that it can't read which version of each of them I'm using... don't know, fairly new to Linux too.

Also, I'm not sure what the network edition is so I don't think I have it.

Lastly, will that *work around* work if I'm *not* using the NE?

Thank you for you reply! It was helpful!

dwmtractor is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by josevis View Post
    6.06 has issues

For some reason, 6.06 won't support my video card drivers so I can't get it to work properly. Never even get to a point where I can install ssh.

Thanks though!
    Unless you're planning to use your Ubuntu box for a workstation as well as a mail server (probably not a really good idea) it probably makes sense to pull an old junker PCI video card and plug into your motherboard...no sense using a high-end graphics card for a box that'll never run anything but text and html. Part of the reason that Zimbra is recommended for Ubuntu LTS 6.06 is that this is the version for which the Ubuntu team has committed long-term support (hence the LTS). Thus security patches, etc, will continue to be available thru apt-get through 2009, without the whole apple cart getting upset by a new release. It's one of those times where "newest" is not necessarily your best choice. . .

But one other thing I'm wondering about--why does the graphics driver matter at all? You can install ssh using apt-get from the command line, and most of the other administration you will do on Zimbra is either going to happen at the command line or through the web-based UI which you can run from your own desktop machine. Your server is clearly driving a text-based screen or you would not have been able to run the install long enough to find it doesn't work. Just install the Ubuntu basic server package with no graphics at all and you'll have less of a drain on your resources.

Cheers,

Dan

Edit: Actually I mis-spoke on the date; 6.06 DESKTOP is supported to 2009, server is supported to 2011. Server is what you want anyhow.

k7sle is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by dwmtractor View Post
    Unless you're planning to use your Ubuntu box for a workstation as well as a mail server (probably not a really good idea) it probably makes sense to pull an old junker PCI video card and plug into your motherboard...no sense using a high-end graphics card for a box that'll never run anything but text and html. Part of the reason that Zimbra is recommended for Ubuntu LTS 6.06 is that this is the version for which the Ubuntu team has committed long-term support (hence the LTS). Thus security patches, etc, will continue to be available thru apt-get through 2009, without the whole apple cart getting upset by a new release. It's one of those times where "newest" is not necessarily your best choice. . .

But one other thing I'm wondering about--why does the graphics driver matter at all? You can install ssh using apt-get from the command line, and most of the other administration you will do on Zimbra is either going to happen at the command line or through the web-based UI which you can run from your own desktop machine. Your server is clearly driving a text-based screen or you would not have been able to run the install long enough to find it doesn't work. Just install the Ubuntu basic server package with no graphics at all and you'll have less of a drain on your resources.

Cheers,

Dan

Edit: Actually I mis-spoke on the date; 6.06 DESKTOP is supported to 2009, server is supported to 2011. Server is what you want anyhow.
    Thanks for the information. I am installing Ubuntu now in hopes of running Zimbra. While not new to Linux, but new to Ubuntu, I wonder what is so different in the two versions that it is incompatible? What does Zimbra's roadmap hold for Ubuntu Server 7.10 compatibility?

Normally,I prefer to start with an up-to-date OS versus an older version. In my mind, that's analogous to using Windows 2000 Server versus Windows 2003 Server.

Thank you,

Chris

PS, I might suggest to the Moderators that this topic become "sticky" as more people try Ubuntu 7.10
    Last edited by k7sle; 11-20-2007 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Added PS

Cleaning out my inbox
    Quote Originally Posted by josevis via PM
    I do have a question about Zimbra, I noticed on the demo that it does pretty much exactly what I'm looking to do. I'm trying to migrate from MS Outlook 2003 to Zimbra, I've got like a 6GB .pst file with years of archived emails I CANNOT lose.
    There's a Outlook PST import wizard available in your admin console > downloads area (or http:// zimbraServer.domain.com/downloads/index.html)
    You can also try it with a hosted demo account...though a 6GB PST is over the 512MB storage quota of the demo (Really don't know why someone would want to spend the time uploading it there anyway-lol)
    Infact, you can continue to use Outlook with IMAP/POP & there's a NE MAPI connector if you'd like to extend the functionality even further!
    Quote Originally Posted by josevis via PM
    Will Zimbra allow me to use all of the features in the demo from the web just like the demo?
    I'm very much interested in having all of my 13 mail accounts compiled into one panel that automatically downloads them and allows me to access them from anywhere in the world, as well as calendar, tasks, etc.
    The demo is running a release candidate of 5.0
    Tasks as well as the new briefcase & an IM client (currently turned off in the hosted demo) are v5 features.
    4.5 does have external pop accounts and a 'get mail' button, external automatic & IMAP aggregation is 5.0 functionality
    Checkout the blog for more cool stuff: /blog/archives.html
    Also, I'm not sure what the network edition is so I don't think I have it.
    You can compare all the features in the editions here: /products/product_editions.html
    The NE trial can be found here: /products/download_network.html
    Once installed, you can check your full version string at any time by running:
    su zimbra
    zmcontrol -v
    FOSS 5.0RC1 can be found here: /community/downloads.html (not intended for production environments & there is an IMAP bug fixed in RC2)
    Lastly, will that *work around* work if I'm *not* using the NE?
    Yup, it's technically 'intended' for FOSS, to quote myself:
    Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    If you're using NE you won't get help by zimbra technical support, so it's more for FOSS installs, but you can see this article:
    Ubuntu 7.04 & 7.10 (Feisty Fawn & Gutsy Gibbon) Install - Zimbra :: Wiki
    For the Network Edition, (and thereby some good quality assurance testing) Zimbra uses Ubuntu LTS (Long Term Support) versions; 6.06 being the current (supported till 2009 for desktops and 2011 for server versions), the next being 8.04 (supported 2011 for desktops & 2013 for servers).

So in short: You can physically run on Ubuntu 7 for either NE or FOSS, but you won't receive any assistance from technical support if your a NE customer.
    Save yourself the headache later - use a supported platform
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-20-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Welcome to the forums k7sle,

So Ubuntu lands works a little different than the Microsoft world...
    Ubuntu releases new versions every six months, and supports those releases for a relatively short amount of time with patches to critical bugs, etc. There are also LTS releases, which have three years support for the desktop version and five years for the server version; of course daily security updates as needed. The wiz-bang new features go into these 'in-between releases' and if their good enough, make it to the LTS. (Well that's a given for the most part, unless they would be difficult to support for 5 years etc.)

7.10 was officially released on october 18th of this year, essentially just one month ago...
    7.04 is only supported till 2008, and 7.10 only until the start of 2009 (no difference for desktop vs server versions on those dates).
    6.10 is also just till 2008. Most just don't have time to upgrade platforms on a mailserver every year, and companies just don't have the time to test every new instance; so 6.06LTS to 2011 is nice & ensures the longest help for everyone. For starters, on a mailserver you don't need the latest desktop UI...you get the idea, you're not new to linux, sorry for being repetitive!

As you can see by the wiki doc it really doesn't take a whole lot besides tricking the installer (unless you go 64bit).
    We do try to keep the wiki updated with as many tips as possible, so if you find something new let us know in the forums or even add it to the article/talk pages yourself!
    If you're curious, planned supported platform list for 5.0 is here: Zimbra Product Portal - Release 5
    Last edited by mmorse; 11-20-2007 at 11:03 PM.

k7sle is offline Active Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mmorse View Post
    Welcome to the forums k7sle,

So Ubuntu lands works a little different than the Microsoft world...
    Ubuntu releases new versions every six months, and supports those releases for a relatively short amount of time with patches to critical bugs, etc. There are also LTS releases, which have three years support for the desktop version and five years for the server version; of course daily security updates as needed. The wiz-bang new features go into these 'in-between releases' and if their good enough, make it to the LTS. (Well that's a given for the most part, unless they would be difficult to support for 5 years etc.)

7.10 was officially released on october 18th of this year, essentially just one month ago...
    7.04 is only supported till 2008, and 7.10 only until the start of 2009 (no difference for desktop vs server versions on those dates).
    6.10 is also just till 2008. Most just don't have time to upgrade platforms on a mailserver every year, and companies just don't have the time to test every new instance; so 6.06LTS to 2011 is nice & ensures the longest help for everyone. For starters, on a mailserver you don't need the latest desktop UI...you get the idea, you're not new to linux, sorry for being repetitive!

As you can see by the wiki doc it really doesn't take a whole lot besides tricking the installer (unless you go 64bit).
    We do try to keep the wiki updated with as many tips as possible, so if you find something new let us know in the forums or even add it to the article/talk pages yourself!
    If you're curious, planned supported platform list for 5.0 is here: Zimbra Product Portal - Release 5
    Mike,

Thanks for the explanation. That does make things a lot clearer. I can see the point you make and appreciate the clarity of your post. As for being repetetive, no need to worry. I think being a little repetetive could help other users who are new to Linux and I am certainly not the only one who will read this topic.

I will downgrade my Ubuntu box to 6.06LTS for now and work with the supported platform. Since my server is small (just a handful of users), upgrading later to a new version will not be too big of a deal.

Pardon the apparent ignorance, but could you point a link to the wiki page you referred to?

Thanks,

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information