Thread: Staged migration

diacono is offline Member

Exclamation Staged migration

Has anybody got any guides or recommendations as to how to progressively replace our mail server with Zimbra?

I had initially planned to use one of the more obscure domains we have which does not get used (ie: our-domain.net) but I would have to do most of the testing manually.

The other approach would be to have zimbra handle user1, user2 and then forward all other email to the current server. This way I should be able to add users once I feel we have things tightly wrapped.

Is this something that can be done and any pointers as to how?

Many thanks

retireoncsco is offline Intermediate Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by diacono
    Has anybody got any guides or recommendations as to how to progressively replace our mail server with Zimbra?

I had initially planned to use one of the more obscure domains we have which does not get used (ie: our-domain.net) but I would have to do most of the testing manually.

The other approach would be to have zimbra handle user1, user2 and then forward all other email to the current server. This way I should be able to add users once I feel we have things tightly wrapped.

Is this something that can be done and any pointers as to how?

Many thanks
    What is your current setup?

If you have AD, you could approach it the other way, have your current server fwd to the new zimbra users and when they are all done, move the mail routing (MX or otherwise) to Zimbra.

Also, if AD, you could use it for your GAL for now, unless you want to get rid of that too?

Knowing your current config would help a lot.

John

Hi John,

Well ATM our email is hosted (as part of a temporal hosting package) so we could be limited to what we can do. Having gone through the web based administration the only option I can see is to have it forward user1@ourdomain to user1@our-domain on a user by user basis and then have Zimbra to handle all our-domain emails.

I imagine that the logic behind putting Zimbra behind instead of in front is to avoid potential mess ups where all email is offline. Is that what you were thinking?

PS: Do you mean Active Directory? (AD)

retireoncsco is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by diacono
    Hi John,

Well ATM our email is hosted (as part of a temporal hosting package) so we could be limited to what we can do. Having gone through the web based administration the only option I can see is to have it forward user1@ourdomain to user1@our-domain on a user by user basis and then have Zimbra to handle all our-domain emails.

I imagine that the logic behind putting Zimbra behind instead of in front is to avoid potential mess ups where all email is offline. Is that what you were thinking?

PS: Do you mean Active Directory? (AD)
    1. Yes, I like to do migrations that have a quick and simple back out plan along the way, and then if the 'big switch' doesn't take, that is easy too. Your idea is workable as well.

2. Yes, AD = Active Directory.

Given your current setup, depending on where maintenance is easier, you could have Zimbra handle everything and fwd back, but since it's still showing signs of maturing, you may want to go with your fwd idea for individual users.

However the more I think about it... having Zimbra or rather Postfix (in Zimbra) handle the whole domain, and fwd to your non-migrated users might be easier since you would have control of the domain internally and the product that is doing it. There is lots of options here.

It's really a personal preference, either way would work: existing fwd to migrated users and then flip whole MX, or have Zimbra handle MX, fwd to non-migrated users. I think the latter option has a little more risk personally.

John

That was very useful John.

As to Active Directory, I'm now curious as to how it would make it easier?

Thread Information