Thread: install.sh works completely on stock Debian testing AMD64 system

simonpg is offline Junior Member

Default install.sh works completely on stock Debian testing AMD64 system

This just in from the "Out on the Fringe" Department: In an effort to get more familiar with java by mucking with a useful application, I can now:
    ZimbraBuild/make
    zcs/install.sh
    successfully on a stock Debian "testing" AMD64 sytem. All "third party apps" are already installed on other machines in the network; and so I am integrating zimbra into, for example, an already running Openldap server (done) and a functional Exim mta (works with ldap, now to support zimbra's use of ldap). Is this of interest to anyone else?

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Did you need to make any changes or did it just *work* from a clean CVS check out?
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

Post Much of it did work

The fundamentals are all in place, but there were quite a few changes (off the top of my head, not a complete list)
    Teach the build system to support debian testing and AMD64
    build successfully without "third party app" .tar files
    teach zimbra where to find "stock" third party apps"
    provide support for an ldap "search base" so zimbra can work with a generic LDAP server
    port zimbra ldap support from postfix to exim (work in progress)

shohamlevy is offline Member

Default Problems on Debian etch, AMD64

Hi.

I am struggeling for a long time now with Zimbra. Can you please elaborate a little more on the following?
    1. I had serious OutOfMemory issues with JDK for amd64. Even after adding "-Xms2g -Xmx5g" java did not run in all cases. I finally reverted to JDK for 586, had you any luck with 64 bit java?
    2. I could never successfully run "bin/zmcertinstall" - to install the certificates (after bin/zmcreateca and bin/zmcreatecert). I keep getting an error about mismatch keys. Do you know anything about this?
    3. If I comment out the certificate parts in slapd.conf (TLS*), and remove "ldaps://" from bin/ldap, I can't seem to get java to recognize the LDAP server's port. Any idea?
    4. Finally, because I am having so much troubles with the Zimbra LDAP - can you give a short explanation on how to tell Zimbra to use a different LDAP server (i.e. Debian's pkg)? I am not a system admin, I am a Linux programmer, so go easy on that one :-))
    Thanks!

marcmac is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by shohamlevy
    Hi.

I am struggeling for a long time now with Zimbra. Can you please elaborate a little more on the following?
    1. I had serious OutOfMemory issues with JDK for amd64. Even after adding "-Xms2g -Xmx5g" java did not run in all cases. I finally reverted to JDK for 586, had you any luck with 64 bit java?
    2. I could never successfully run "bin/zmcertinstall" - to install the certificates (after bin/zmcreateca and bin/zmcreatecert). I keep getting an error about mismatch keys. Do you know anything about this?
    3. If I comment out the certificate parts in slapd.conf (TLS*), and remove "ldaps://" from bin/ldap, I can't seem to get java to recognize the LDAP server's port. Any idea?
    4. Finally, because I am having so much troubles with the Zimbra LDAP - can you give a short explanation on how to tell Zimbra to use a different LDAP server (i.e. Debian's pkg)? I am not a system admin, I am a Linux programmer, so go easy on that one :-))
    Thanks!
    1 - never tried it.

2 - search the forums on how to clean up the keystores before re-creating.

3 - modify the ldap_url localconfig setting (zmlocalconfig -e ldap_url ...)

4 - that's not supported. You could probably make it happen, but there's no short answer.

1. It looks like there is an optimization problem with the current release of java64, IMHO. You can get by it for now by adding -Xrunhprof to zmjava:

exec ${zimbra_java_home}/bin/java \
    -client \
    -Xrunhprof \
    -Dzimbra.home=${zimbra_home} \
    -Djava.library.path=${zimbra_home}/lib \
    -Djava.ext.dirs=${JRE_EXT_DIR}:${zimbra_home}/lib \
    "$@"

This causes (at least) a file to be dumped in the current directory, and so you need to set the proper permissions. I do not know how it effects long term java applications. There are likely better ways to fix the problem.

2. and 3. were solved when I implimented 4. The only thing that needs to be done is to teach zimbra how handle an LDAP "search base". There is a fair (but nicely isolated) amount of work that needs to be done. I'm not trying to keep the information to myself, it's just too much to dump into a forum.

bronto is offline Intermediate Member

Default Details needed

This is wonderful news.

The not-so-wonderful news is that I am both a Zimbra AND debian newbie. I have a new debian stable installation on a relatively new HP Opteron system, and I've been putting off migrating my mail services over to it hoping that a Zimbra installation on Debian would become easier. I've used Horde for years, but am very excited about Zimbra.

At present the server is a basically a development server, hosting apache/mysql/php and some big subversion repositories. I am more of a software developer than a linux admin. The server already has postfix installed, I was going to work on courier-imap this weekend.

I would very much appreciate some details of what I need to do to get Zimbra running on my server.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bronto; 01-12-2006 at 10:52 PM. Reason: add email notification

Thread Information