Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Problem connecting to port 25 from outside the LAN

mrcoffee11 is offline Senior Member

Default [SOLVED] Problem connecting to port 25 from outside the LAN

Hello good people,

The last couple of days I've been quite busy trying to solve this little issue I have. I am wondering aimlessly around in the Zimbra fora, trying to find a clue, but no succes. There seems to te a problem when I want to connect from outside the LAN to port 25 on my Zimbra server. Here is the situation:

- It is possible to connect to port 25 from my own LAN and send emails to it.
    - I can not send emails to it or do a telnet session from the internet.
    - no firewall on the Zimbra server
    - NAT on my adsl box works good, because I currently use my old sendmail server to act as a relay for my Zimbra. I can telnet my relay server from the internet.

What is happening overhere? Did I miss anything while configuring the Zimbra server?

Thnx!

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Welcome to the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffee11 View Post
    - NAT on my adsl box works good, because I currently use my old sendmail server to act as a relay for my Zimbra. I can telnet my relay server from the internet!
    I assume that you have port 25 forwarded from your NAT device to the sendmail server? If that's the case how can you connect to port 25 when it's already forwarded to another server?

If you haven't done it already, please read the wiki article on Split Domain.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thnx for the reply.
    Well, I change the NAT rule to my Zimbra server when I want to test it. And then when I come to the sad conclusion that it's not working, I change it back cause I want to be able to receive emails now and then.
    Thanks for the interesting article, it doesn't answer my question though. So if someone has got an idea, please let me know.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

If Zimbra is up and running and you can connect to port 25 on your LAN then there's no reason that you can't connect from the internet. The only thing that would block it is a firewall, SElinx , a NAT device or possibly your ISP blocking port 25. The one other thing that might cause a problem is if your ISP uses a proxy between you and the internet. One of those things is causing your problem.

What happens if you reboot the NAT device after you've changed the IP for the mail server?
    Last edited by phoenix; 11-01-2007 at 01:50 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I thought the NAT device was the problem too, rebooting, reconfiguring, nothing helped. And it works fine with my mailrelay server. My ISP is not blocking port 25, firewall is not running, SELinux is disabled.

I do notice a huge performance degradation on my VMware server since I installed Zimbra in a VM (network is configured to have a direct connection to the LAN, not using NAT or host-based netwok conn's). But my mail relay server is also a VM running on the same vmware host. And I as i said before, I can still connect to port 25 on this VM from outside my LAN.

What I'm going to do is to setup another VMware host this weekend, and I'll run the Zimbra VM on that host to check if the performance is the problem. Although I have a hard time believing this is the cause, I feel I have to check it.

Klug is online now Moderator

Is your IP setup (address, subnet, gateway) fully correct on the Zimbra VM ?

Bad subnet and/or bad gateway can lead to such behaviour.

Well, I added some memory to the VM. Its running better now, responsetime of the webmail site are not to long anymore. Everything looks good.

Except... for the smtp :?
    I don't understand it. Is an ip address refused when its not on my LAN? I can't find any entry in the system logs, or the zimbra logs. Ip settings are correct. I can do anything on my LAN with the VM. I can also ping google.com from my Zimbra server.

And once again I change the NAT rule on my ADSL box to route port 25 to my mail relay server that receives the mail and sends it to the Zimbra server.

Wow, if I can figure out this one.. I really deserve a nice beer.

mmorse is offline Moderator

Oh dear... silly me (especially cause ict is my job).
    Indeed it was a firewall rule on my adsl box. It was soooo long since I had to change firewall settings on that box, I completley forgot that I not only had to adjust my NAT but also the firewall rules.

I'm not gonna drink the beer tonight, it's to late. I'll save it for another day.

Thanx everybody for being so kind and patient..

mmorse is offline Moderator

-marking as solved
    btw, what did you end up with for ram?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information