Thread: composing an email, doesn't seem to search shared contacts

bbarnett is offline Senior Member

Default composing an email, doesn't seem to search shared contacts

I'm not sure what is going on here, but it seems as if a shared contact list is not searched for auto completion. That is, contacts I have in a shared contact list I've added to my address book, do not show up when I try to compose an email.

Any ideas why? This is very weird, we have a company wide shared contact list, but no one can use it?!

Note, that I found a similar bug in the bug database, but that was for searching via the contact list that pops up when clicking on the 'to:' button. In my case, shared contacts are not searched during autocomplete either. Are others experiencing this issue?

One other thing. I must have three unanswered bug reports in, and five unanswered forum posts. Some of these things are blockers towards purchase. Should I be handling these things another way? Should I place all of these things on the desk of my sales rep?

Certainly, some of these bugs are so annoying and so usability-destructive, that even after a labour intensive test rollout in our company, we are considering looking at other options at this point.

Anyone, any suggestions?!

I figured I might as well add this to this thread.

Anyhow, since I can't search shared contacts when composing an email, I've decided to temporarily copy the shared global contact list to every user's personal email folder.

Yes, this is an annoying and laborious process.

However, I find that if I highlight .. say, 14 contacts in my shared address book, and then drag those 14 contacts to a local user's folder, it will only copy the first and last contact. The green +14 exists when I drop the contacts into my private list, but the popup box at the bottom left of Zimbra states "2 contacts copied", and only 2 are copied.

I'd like to pause here a moment, and state something that needs to be said. Zimbra seems like a great product, and it likely will be. However, right now it is sorely lacking a stable version. Frankly, I'd be happier if the entire Zimbra devel team stopped 5.0 entirely, and focused the next 6 months on 4.5.7 and stability issues. It's just way too buggy, and I'm extremely concerned about 5.0. I just can't see it being bug free, and since 5.0 seems to be the solution to all of 4.5.x's problems, you can understand my concern.

Odd. Not only can I not drag and drop these 14 contacts, since only 2 contacts actually copy across from the shared to personal contacts, I can not even individually copy these contacts over. That's right, I can't drag and drop some of these contacts over, regardless of what I do.

Is anyone else having these odd problems?

mmorse is offline Moderator

I have to run somewhere - and I'll hunt down the open RFE's/Bugs/Comments for the above when I get back, but do note: ZCS 4.5.9 Has Been Released!

soxfan is offline Moderator

The bug you are looking for regarding the auto-complete of shared address books is 11141

mmorse is offline Moderator

For the other issue:
    Please add your notes to the bottom of this bug (it's unconfirmed) Bug 20342 - Cannot copy more than 2 contacts in web interface
    But before you do so please retest on 4.5.9 so that they know it's not wasted effort

Upgraded, and the bug still exists.

As for the shared address book searching, the bug indicates that performance may be an issue. Fair enough, but I find performance impacted more by having 100 individual address books, all with identical information. It seems better to have one address book with 1000 addresses, and personal address books with 100, rather than personal address books with 1100 addresses.

Still no answer on whether I should be talking to my sales guy about these issues, or here. If Zimbra support for the myriad of bugs encountered is just 'slough it out in the forums', I don't know what we'll do. Yes, people are indeed helping, but perhaps there should be Zimbra employees working with NE Zimbra users more directly?

I emailed my sales rep yesterday, but no response as of yet.

soxfan is offline Moderator

Still no answer on whether I should be talking to my sales guy about these issues, or here. If Zimbra support for the myriad of bugs encountered is just 'slough it out in the forums', I don't know what we'll do. Yes, people are indeed helping, but perhaps there should be Zimbra employees working with NE Zimbra users more directly?
    I guess different businesses, organizations, and individuals have different needs, and it probably depends on how you look at things, but personally I would hardly say that I've encountered a "myriad of bugs" while using Zimbra, and I've been using/administering Zimbra in both testing and live mode with over 300 current users for 1-1/2+ years. While there are certainly missing features and functionality that we would like to have, we haven't encountered any real "show stoppers". Pretty much all the things we want and don't currently have in Zimbra have open RFE's filed against them, and although some of these have been outstanding for longer than I would like, I find that each subsequent release gets better and better. I greatly look forward to the final release of version 5.

I'm "only" using the Open Source version, but I believe if you are an NE user, even if you're using the trial version, you are entitled to open a trouble ticket through Zimbra's support system (something other than Bugzilla or the forums).

Thread Information