Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] 5.0 RC1 - mailboxd won't start after a reboot

staufj22 Guest

Default [SOLVED] 5.0 RC1 - mailboxd won't start after a reboot

Hi All,

I'm installing 5.0 RC1 on Debian. The install process is fast and smooth, and everything worked after the install.
    However, after I tried to restart the server, I found that port 7071 and port 80 is no longer listening. After some digging, I found that mailboxd is not running. So I tried to start Jetty manually.
    I ran the zmmailboxdctl start, and I can see some java process when I do ps-ef | grep java
    However, after 1 or 2 min, the java process no longer exist... for some reason, they died not long after being started.

Interestingly, I was able to get it back up and running again by running the install.sh script and letting it start my processes... maybe this is a bug? What are the relevent logs to troubleshoot this?

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Nice find. When I was setting up the Zimbra hosted demo, I ran into this twice.

Not once. Twice

I thought I was going crazy, because the "mailbox" service wasn't showing as installed. When I mentioned this to a few colleagues, I'm not sure the believed me. How can the Mailbox service disappear??? heh

Well, here's the bug. It's true. You have to run the install.sh again to get it back.

Bug 20765 - zimbraServicedInstaled is not set for mailbox

Best,
    john

blaze is offline Senior Member

Default same problem..ish

Hi,

I have run into a similar problem to this myself. Although I don't recall exactly how it happened, I will try to describe it.

Installed Zimbra 5 RC1, everything was working fine. Added some mailboxes, played around with some themes (btw on my installation the themes "bare" and "steel" seem to cause weird things to happen).

Anyway, I disabled DNS lookups because we are working internally, and I don't have access to DNS. This worked fine, users could still send mail internally.

I then decided to have a look at the IM feature, so I turned that on (and the briefcase option too). Of course, it wasn't connecting, so I thought I would temporarilly switch DNS lookups back on. At this point, things started to go wrong! I started to get network errors in the Zimbra web interface, so i shut down my browser and reopened it. This time, it didn't even load!

After a reboot, the same problem was occuring, Zimbra wasn't loading in the browser. I know it was active because I did "zmcontrol status" and everything was running. However, I thought I might trying changing the web protocol with "zmtlsctl". When I ran it, i found it reported "mailbox is not running". I tried the command listed in the documentation "zmmailboxctl" which didn't work (probably because I should have typed "zmmailboxdctl"!) I am not sure if you need to change that in the documentation, or if this is a change in the new version.

I scouted around and tried a few different things to no avail. Finally, I found this thread, and it seems that running the install.sh again fixes the problem.

Do you think this is related? It sounds like it. Is there perhaps a different method for solving this rather than having to run the script again?

Regards,
    Gary

blaze is offline Senior Member

Default Extra Info

Just some extra points,

I have just managed to recreate it again I am using Fedora 7, are there any known issues with this? I turned DNS lookups "off" again, and saved (using the admin console web interface). This caused network errors again and stopped the web interface from working.

Any ideas?

Regards,
    Gary

staufj22 Guest

Well, I've been playing around some more with my RC1 install, and I seem to be able to crash the mailbox and the admin interface (Jetty?) by changing some of the MTA setting, and then, click on the "Restore to COS" button.

Does anyone know a faster way to restart these services without running install.sh? Is there a switch in install.sh that just starts all the services?

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by staufj22 View Post
    Does anyone know a faster way to restart these services without running install.sh? Is there a switch in install.sh that just starts all the services?
    Are you not talking about the mailboxd service showing as not installed (zimbraServiceInstalled & zimbraServiceEnabled), but rather how to startup zimbra?
    su zimbra
    zmcontrol start

OR since just before that you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by staufj22 View Post
    Well, I've been playing around some more with my RC1 install, and I seem to be able to crash the mailbox and the admin interface (Jetty?) by changing some of the MTA setting, and then, click on the "Restore to COS" button.
    And the issue with the bug is:
    Any manipulation of zimbra server service via admin console will erase 'zimbraServiceEnabled: mailbox'. This will cause zmcontrol start to miss mailboxd. mailboxd is not set as service installed.
    Did you mean like just doing a +zimbraServiceInstalled (because that is what's wrong B3>RC1) so that every time you modify something in the servers section of the admin console you just have to:
    zmprov -l modifyServer server.domain.com +zimbraServiceEnabled mailboxd
    then zmmailboxdctl start ?
    -test and let us know
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-18-2007 at 03:39 PM.

staufj22 Guest

Thanks Mike! I'll test that out.

soxfan is offline Moderator

I just ran into this issue and found this thread while searching for an answer.

I tried this:
    zmprov modifyServer myserver.mydomain.com +zimbraServiceEnabled mailboxd
    and got this:
    zmprov ms myserver.mydomain.com +zimbraServiceEnabled mailboxd
    ERROR: zclient.IO_ERROR (invoke Connection refused, server: localhost) (cause: java.net.ConnectException Connection refused)
    Not sure if I did something wrong. Right now running install.sh again appears to be the only way to fix the problem.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

try
    zmprov -l modifyServer myserver.mydomain.com +zimbraServiceEnabled mailboxd

soxfan is offline Moderator

try
    zmprov -l modifyServer myserver.mydomain.com +zimbraServiceEnabled mailboxd
    Well re-running install.sh had my system back to normal, but in the interest of trying to mark this thread as SOLVED I decided to break the system again by making a change so that I could try this out.
    This time when I ran the 'zmprov' command, adding the '-l' option, I did not get the "connection refused" error, however, it also did not fix the problem. Still could not get into the admin console or the web client. Running 'zmcontrol stop'; 'zmcontrol start' yielded the following:

Code:
    zmcontrol stop
    Host myserver.mydomain.com
            Stopping stats...Done
            Stopping mta...Done
            Stopping spell...Done
            Stopping snmp...Done
            Stopping antivirus...Done
            Stopping antispam...Done
            Stopping imapproxy...Done
            Stopping mailbox...Done
            Stopping logger...Done