Thread: Zimbra mail domains & user accounts

joeleo is offline Active Member

Default Zimbra mail domains & user accounts

Hi All, I've got my fresh install of zimbra working. I have a few questions:

I created a user account under the initial domain during the zimbra install. I was able to login under the user with out entering the email address part. Then, I created a second domain and created a user account under the second domain but this time I can only login using the username@domain.com... I'd like to know why that is and if I may have to do something to make that work.

Also, I plan on having several domains and user accounts created from these domains. I'd like to create one user account under a particular domain and have that account receive emails from the other user account that I create. I want to receive and send emails for all these users from this one user account. What's the best way to do this?

Will appreciate all comments/suggestions!

Joe

mmorse is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by joeleo View Post
    I created a user account under the initial domain during the zimbra install. I was able to login under the user with out entering the email address part. Then, I created a second domain and created a user account under the second domain but this time I can only login using the username@domain.com... I'd like to know why that is and if I may have to do something to make that work.
    This second domain, are they still navigating to the original web address to check their mail?

You can configure a virtual host so users can log in without have to specify the domain name as part of their user name.
    Make a DNS A record then add it in the admin console gui > domains> virtual hosts tab

To login user's enter the virtual host name in the browser , then when the ZCS logon screen displays, they only need to enter the username and password. The authentication request searches for a domain with that virtual host name. When the virtual host is found, the authentication is completed against that domain.

Quote Originally Posted by joeleo View Post
    Also, I plan on having several domains and user accounts created from these domains. I'd like to create one user account under a particular domain and have that account receive emails from the other user account that I create. I want to receive and send emails for all these users from this one user account. What's the best way to do this?
    Easy, and it doesn't matter if it's in the same domain or not - again in the admin console gui (ask if you want the commands):
    On the otherAccounts enter the combinedAccount as a forwarding address.
    On the combinedAccount:
    Features tab > enable 'mail identities' if it isn't already
    Preferences tab > check 'allow sending email from any address'
    Last edited by mmorse; 10-12-2007 at 02:05 PM.

joeleo is offline Active Member

Hi all,

I've got Zimbra installed with multiple domains. I am able to send and receive emails o.k from all of the domains. However, I want to have it where users just enter their user names to access their emails for each domains - This is not working for me.

I have as my primary domain as domain-a.com and I have my dns setup with the following:

mail.doamin-a.com and a A record for it as well. That is all working as I am able to send/receive emails. What I am wondering about is if I ALSO need to create a mail.domain-b.com... for each other domains and have a A record created as well for each domain. While, all my websites are working for the domains created I do not have a mx record define for the other domains. I thought Zimbra would know about the other domains. Would appreciate any comments regarding this.

Joe

Thread Information