Thread: IMAP server refusing messages with old dates

bbarnett is offline Senior Member

Default IMAP server refusing messages with old dates

I have problems during my import of messages from my old IMAP server, to Zimbra's. I'm using imapsync, and Zimbra's imap server is complaining with:

Couldn't append msg #760 (Subject:xxxxxxxxx) to folder new/Inbox: 13547 BAD parse error: date out of range

The date is:

01-Jan-1965

Yes, it's out there date wise. That's not the point, of course, however. People do sometimes send email messages with such wonky, weird dates, and Zimbra needs to be able to handle it.

Any ideas on how to allow the imap server to accept such dates?

(note, my only other problem during IMAP import, about file sizes being > 10MB, was resolved with another post. As a suggestion for Zimbra, an offical "howto" with these "gotchas" might be a great idea for IMAP).

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

What version of Zimbra are you running?

If it's 4.5.7, please file a bug.

john

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

The "date" there is meant to be the received date, not the date listed in the "Sent" header in the message. If your IMAP server is marking messages as received in 1965, I think it may have some issues...

In the meanwhile, please file a bug against Zimbra to add a flag indicating that it should use the current date when a message is APPENDed with an invalid (too-early) date.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

bbarnett is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkarp View Post
    The "date" there is meant to be the received date, not the date listed in the "Sent" header in the message. If your IMAP server is marking messages as received in 1965, I think it may have some issues....
    The IMAP server is entirely correct... and IMAP servers do not typically mark messages as received at any date or time. That's usually done by the SMTP server.

However, your point is valid, in that... wtf is going on?! Well, the problem as I see it, is that these email folders were transfered from outlook, to Mozilla Mail on Windows, to Thunderbird under Linux, and finally to IMAP via a conversion script (moz mail format -> imap mbox) under Linux.

Since then, these email messages have sat on our mail server.. for about three years without anything of note happening to them. However, here's a snippet from the header of one of those messages:

From - Mon Jan 1 00:00:00 1965^M
    X-Mozilla-Status: 0001^M
    X-Mozilla-Status2: 00400000^M
    To: "xxx" ,^M
    "Txxx" ,^M
    "Nxxx" ,^M
    "xxxx" ^M
    Subject: weekly report^M
    Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:29:25 -0400^M
    MIME-Version: 1.0^M
    Content-Type: multipart/mixed;^M
    boundary="----=_NextPart_000_01C3_01C41BDC.A94E69E0"^M
    X-Priority: 3^M
    X-MSMail-Priority: Normal^M
    X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000^M

so yes, one of the conversion points over the last 7 years or so has indeed screwed the From initial header up. As a FYI, I ran a simple perl search and replace on the entire IMAP directory structure of each user affected, and simply changed the date line to sometime in 1985. This allowed the import without trouble.

In the meanwhile, please file a bug against Zimbra to add a flag indicating that it should use the current date when a message is APPENDed with an invalid (too-early) date.
    I'd like to, but neither my forum or support login information seem valid in the bug system. [sarcasm]I tried to file a bug report against this, but.....[/sarcasm]

Anyhow, I have about five or six other bugs to report, so could someone fix my bug reporting issue?

Thanks

mmorse is offline Moderator

The logins are independent of each other - make an account here: Create a new Bugzilla account

jackson is offline Intermediate Member

Have the same problem.
    Description:
    Zimbra Open Source Edition 6.0.8.
    We migrate at the moment to Zimbra from unstructured mail system, there users keeps their mail DBs localy in different mail clients. To migrate from Thunderbird Local Folders we use chain UnixMailBox -->IMAP--(imapsync)--> Zimbra.
    For one user we have same problem. I check Thunderbird Mail DB -- some of mails really starts from Field "From ..... 00:00 1 Jan 1965". A lot of mails with tha same line. I think it can appear from previous importing/exporting procedures from another mail client to Thunderbird. Only one way I find to solve it -- change in this line 1965 to 2007 year.

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by jackson View Post
    Have the same problem.
    Description:
    Zimbra Open Source Edition 6.0.8.
    We migrate at the moment to Zimbra from unstructured mail system, there users keeps their mail DBs localy in different mail clients. To migrate from Thunderbird Local Folders we use chain UnixMailBox -->IMAP--(imapsync)--> Zimbra.
    For one user we have same problem. I check Thunderbird Mail DB -- some of mails really starts from Field "From ..... 00:00 1 Jan 1965". A lot of mails with tha same line. I think it can appear from previous importing/exporting procedures from another mail client to Thunderbird. Only one way I find to solve it -- change in this line 1965 to 2007 year.
    You need to provide details of the exact IMAPSYNC command you're using. Which version of Thunderbird are you using?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

jackson is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You need to provide details of the exact IMAPSYNC command you're using. Which version of Thunderbird are you using?
    imapsync command:

/usr/bin/imapsync --buffersize 8192000 --nosyncacls --subscribe --syncinternaldates --noauthmd5 --host1 $TRANSIMAPHOST --user1 $TRANSIMAPUSER --password1 $TRANSUSERPASS --host2 $ZIMBRAHOST --user2 ${ZIMBRA_USER}@@{ZIMBRADOMAIN} --password2 $ZIMBRAUSERPASS

Thunderbird version is 2.0.0.23.

Thread Information