Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partitioning

mbrijun is offline Member

Default Partitioning

Hi everyone,

The server that I am going to install Zimbra (open source) has an internal RAID1 array of 18Gb and and external RAID10 array of 80Gb. What would be the recommended partitioning schema? Thank you.

Martin

Kristaps is offline Active Member

Default Hi,

RAID1

/BOOT - 100 MB
    /SWAP - 2x RAM
    / - ALL REST

RAID10
    /OPT - ALL

Default More help :)

From your post it seems that you did not read the documentation are you not good with Linux.

1. Download Opens SuSE 10.2
    2. Install text mode – Fallow this The Perfect Setup - OpenSuSE 10.2 (32-bit) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials documentation till page 5 chapter - 3 Install Some Software (stop before 3 Install Some Software)do not forget to set partitions to
    RAID1
    /BOOT - 100 MB
    /SWAP - 2x RAM (2 times moor then ram)
    / - ALL REST

RAID10
    /OPT – ALL
    3. Execute: shutdown -r now
    4. Execute: yast2 -i findutils readline libgcc glibc-devel findutils-locate gcc flex lynx compat-readline4 db-devel wget gcc-c++ make mc xntp perl-HTML-Parser perl-Net-DNS perl-Digest-SHA1 fetchmail cURL libidn GMP compat-libstdc++
    5. Execute: shutdown -r now
    6. Continue with: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...ete-guide.html (STEP 1 IS ALREADY DONE)

Dirk is offline Moderator

Looks about right to me.

mbrijun is offline Member

Thanks very much for the answers. It makes my life easy, as I do not want to deal with RAID10 during the initial install, but rather create it afterwards.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

personally I would split root partition up a bit further - /var should always be on it's own for instance.

possibly to use the 80gb for /opt/zimbra/store instead? that way you get to use the extra IO bw of the rootdisk for amavis/sql stuff and use full raid10 bw for just mailstore. I don't know if this is good idea, just a suggestion.

Default Answer

1. Download Opens SuSE 10.2
    2. Install text mode – Fallow this The Perfect Setup - OpenSuSE 10.2 (32-bit) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials documentation till page 5 chapter - 3 Install Some Software (stop before 3 Install Some Software)do not forget to set partitions to
    RAID1
    /BOOT - 75 MB
    /SWAP - 2x RAM (2 times moor then ram)
    / - ALL REST

/VAR - Depends from OS and usage (/ - ALL REST will be much easier for beginner)

RAID10
    /opt/zimbra/store – ALL
    4. Execute: yast2 -i findutils readline libgcc glibc-devel findutils-locate gcc flex lynx compat-readline4 db-devel wget gcc-c++ make mc xntp perl-HTML-Parser perl-Net-DNS perl-Digest-SHA1 fetchmail cURL libidn GMP compat-libstdc++
    6. Continue with: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/install...ete-guide.html (STEP 1 IS ALREADY DONE)

Extra IO is always good

Quote Originally Posted by dijichi2 View Post
    personally I would split root partition up a bit further - /var should always be on it's own for instance.

possibly to use the 80gb for /opt/zimbra/store instead? that way you get to use the extra IO bw of the rootdisk for amavis/sql stuff and use full raid10 bw for just mailstore. I don't know if this is good idea, just a suggestion.

/VAR - Depends from OS and usage (/ - ALL REST will be much easier for beginner)
    Aside from the obvious danger of a beginner installing a core corporate communications system (!), /var is quite important to separate. It is the most volatile fs area, and the one most likely to impact server stability. The truly paranoid further separate out /var/log and /var/adm.

Ok,

Most probably you are more experience with those thinks so what should look like configuration of Zimbra Server FS in case when you have:

RAID1 – 20GB ~
    RAID10 – 80 GB ~

In my case I have very similar configuration and I would like to know the perfect configuration and maybe explanations for beginners! – in *NIX environment.

hey, I'm no authority on the subject, just giving my opinion

your original layout is a sensible easy desktop layout. for a server that is running important software I feel it's worth the extra effort of thinking about your disk layout. seperating /usr these days is rarely useful, especially under linux where it is almost always local, but seperating /var is a no-brainer. for example, if not maintained, on a busy server /var/log can easily grow to fill the disk and if not in a seperate partition can bring the system to it's knees.

running lvm, veritas or some other volume management is also worth investigating - this means you can resize your partitions dynamically at a later date if needs be.

ps
    why the two reboots? I can't see anything there that would necessitate a reboot. i've lost track of what OS does what, but 'init 6' is the safer way to reboot a server.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information