Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mailbox not starting on Fedora Core 3

Dijital is offline Intermediate Member

Default Mailbox not starting on Fedora Core 3

I have recently tried to install your product and while everything seemed to be going well, I had some issues when it came to starting the services.
    I should note my install is the following:
    Fedora Core 3
    Web Server Install w/Defaults
    Done under VMware5
    Alloted 512MB of ram
    Allocated 8GB hdd space
    Host Box(XP):
    Pentium 4 3.4GHz HT
    1GB PC5400 DDR2

I wanted to test it locally before opening to the public so I did this:
    domain: dijital.local
    mailbox domain: zimbra.dijital.local
    All of the services seem to install and start fine, but when I check the status of the zimbra services the Mailbox service has not started.

I also tried to get into the web management via IP:
    https://172.16.1.210:7071/zimbraAdmin and I get page not found, but I can ping it so I know it's not a routing issue, any suggestions?
    Last edited by Dijital; 09-19-2005 at 09:07 PM.

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Can you check /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out for any messages? Also how much memory did you allot for the install under VMware?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH
    Can you check /opt/zimbra/tomcat/logs/catalina.out for any messages? Also how much memory did you allot for the install under VMware?
    Can't check it right now, but I have alloted 512MB ram in VMware. But I just want to say that you guys have STELLAR product, and no thanks to you up until now, I was about ready to make a jump onto open-xchange
    But I think you have now changed my mind do to many reasons.
    1. Ease of install
    2. Features
    3. Very VERY nice interface.

If I can't use it with the current build I look forward to trying it in the next milestone, do you guys have a ETA?

I also appreciate the fact that you have made it all into one easy to install package instead of having users/admins do this step, then this, etc....

Thanks for changing my mind for me!!
    Can't wait to see where this project goes!!

-Dijital

1. Ease of install
    2. Features
    3. Very VERY nice interface.
    Thanks! If you have any problems or suggestions let us know. We are always looking for additional community feedback.

Can't check it right now, but I have alloted 512MB ram in VMware.
    Ok in the current build you'll need to edit install.sh for 512Meg to work. Check the other threads for the exact change. The next build should have this fixed. We were just giving too much RAM to MySQL for it to work in 512Meg installs. It will work as others have reported but not without a tweak or two.

If I can't use it with the current build I look forward to trying it in the next milestone, do you guys have a ETA?
    Soon... We hope to have it out within the next week.

Thanks! If you have any problems or suggestions let us know. We are always looking for additional community feedback.

Ok in the current build you'll need to edit install.sh for 512Meg to work. Check the other threads for the exact change. The next build should have this fixed. We were just giving too much RAM to MySQL for it to work in 512Meg installs. It will work as others have reported but not without a tweak or two.

Soon... We hope to have it out within the next week.
    Awesome man, I'll give that a try once I get home, so do youthink that is what is causing it to hang then, and am I to assume that I need to uninstall zimbra and reinstall it?

Just out of curiosity what are the plans for Zimbra and it's future?

-Dijital

Well you should check the logs to be sure but that's my guess.

Yes you'll need to reinstall. Just run ./install.sh -u and then follow the instructions in this post:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...tall.sh#post61

Well you should check the logs to be sure but that's my guess.

Yes you'll need to reinstall. Just run ./install.sh -u and then follow the instructions in this post:

http://www.zimbra.com/forums/showthr...tall.sh#post61
    Will do once I get home. Is there anything I can do to help this product move forward, I'll be sure and tell my friends/coworkers, from what they've seen they are already impressed, vary impressed.
    Is it also possible like if you put your mouse over a persons name that it would pullup like a picture of that user along with their email/phone/address etc.....

Thanks again for the quick response, you have a winner with this product you have all accomplished so much in such little time from what I can tell.

-Dijital

We don't support a picture in the adderss book yet. Your not the first to ask so I've logged an enhancement. #3997

Linsys is offline Intermediate Member

Default Is the problem fixed yet?

This is addressed to Dijital. I have been following this thread and hoping that I will get the answer to my problem. I had Fedora Core 3 and after installation, all services started except the "Mailbox" service. The status is "Stopped", no matter how many times I restart zimbra. I followed the instructions above of modifying the install.sh script, but, I still had the same problem after uninstalling and re-installing a few times. Browsing to https://mail.linsys.homeip.net:7071/zimbraAdmin using Firefox returns the message [ Connection refused while connection to .... ].

Upgrading to Fedora Core 4. does not help the situation. However, I must confess that I still have only 512 MB RAM installed, in fact my system indicates that I have 471 MB. I will beef up the RAM this Friday, I just thought maybe someone has had better luck.

Please note that the thread referred to above http://www.zimbra.com/forums/sho.....tall.sh#post61 does seem to solve the MySQL installation problem (the subject in that thread), and aparently, not the "Mailbox Stopped" problem.
    Last edited by Linsys; 09-21-2005 at 05:19 AM.

Linsys, Can you check the contents of /opt/zimbra/tomcat/catilina.out for any errors or messages. This may help us reveal your problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information