Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zimbra 4.5.6 Open Source Synchronization - It works now !

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

We've talked about this for a bit internally, and we decided that it would be okay if he were to sell his product. There is nothing in our license that says that he cannot sell it.

We would invite Doud to contact us at partners@zimbra.com, and we can funnel sales to him.

IMHO, it would be even nicer, if he Open Sourced & Documented it, and gave it away. . thus giving back to the community.

I would caution all users to not give access to any unknown person into your system.

Doud- If you wish to sell it, you have our blessing. We're giving you the chance to become a partner, if you're interested.

-john

doud is offline Junior Member

I DON'T WANT TO SELL IT.

I'VE NEVER INSTALLED IT FOR SOMEBODY INSTEAD OF WORKING ON A TUTO.

I DON'T LIKE THE ATTITUD OF SOME PERSON AND IT'S WHY I'M NOT MOTIVATED TO CREATE THE TUTO.

THANKS FOR THE HELP OF SOME PERSONS.

AND THANKS TO KLUG TO BE SO SYMPATIC.

Now jholder yes i accept to be a partner and i've never refused this. I haven't time to make the tuto. It will arrive soon, but Zimbra isn't my work like you. I've a true work so i don't spend my all time on the web (hein klug ...)
    So i ask you to understand me. Don't listen to all the things said here. My position is clear, but i'm really disappointed by the things i read here...

Doud

jerelabs is offline Active Member

Hi Doud,

Not sure where the confusion is coming from...

Just to clarify:

• Early on it seemed like you'd rather pursue the consulting route. I gather that you're also interested in doing a tutorial?
    • Creating a good tutorial takes time that few of us have
    • Several of us have offered to lead the task of creating a solid tutorial, giving due credit to you

So we can do the heavy lifting in creating the documentation based on your work.

We just need a quick list of high-level steps then your assistance when we run into problems. Hopefully that would reduce the amount of your time that is required.

Personally I'd like to help as it would allow me to give back to the Zimbra community.

- Jeremy

Russianspi is offline Loyal Member

Default Help

Wow, I see some tempers getting hot here. I think this has become such an active thread because of the benefits that so many of us see in making this work. Even if Doud wanted to sell it (which he apparently does not), I would consider buying it. I think that people deserve to be compensated for work, even if it is work on an open source product. Surely the Zimbra employees get paid for the work that they do (see here)- and that's a good thing!
    Either way, I see people getting angry because they want what Doud has. I think many of the posters on this thread are not really upset because of lofty open-source principles, but rather because they want access to this technology and they think that their accusations might be an avenue towards getting it. I applaud jerelabs for what seems to me to be a common-sense reply. I also would love to give back to the Zimbra community, and, being a pretty lousy programmer, I find that documentation might well be a good way for me to do so. I also gladly offer Doud (or anyone else that figures this out, for that matter) my assistance in creating a tutorial for this process. I have a full time job as well, but maybe if a few of us each give a few hours, then we can make this together.

dijichi2 is offline OpenSource Builder & Moderator

So, you've never sold it, installed it on anyone's server for free, made a tutorial, and you're not willing to release what you've done so others can make a tutorial.

Yet you write a posting on a public forum announcing your achievement saying:
    'SO NOW you can sync Zimbra open source with mobile all the mobiles, palmand pocket pc + Outlook.'

And then you wonder why people get upset when you don't make any attempt to release this to the community, or doubt your intentions. Hmm.
    Last edited by dijichi2; 09-07-2007 at 04:54 PM.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Hey guys-

I'm closing this thread.

Doud, if/when you release it and/or make a tutorial, please feel free to post a new thread. It would be very welcome

----
    mmorse edit/notes:
    Anyone reading this thread is more than welcome to continue other discussions on funambol/syncj4 here: /forums/zimbra-mobile/8924-zimbra-funambol-sync4j-code.html
    Last edited by mmorse; 09-24-2007 at 04:29 PM. Reason: additional link

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information