Thread: Upgrade 1.9.0.1 to 7

foobaz is offline Active Member

Default Upgrade 1.9.0.1 to 7

I'm not sure which version of ZD I am running. I have no tray icon because of modifications made to config files ages ago to work around a problem. Properties dialog gives:

File Version: 1.9.0.3299
    Product Version: 1.9.0.1
    BuildID: 2009011216

application.ini file shows:

[App]
    Vendor=VMware Inc.
    Name=Zimbra Desktop
    Version=0.9.1
    BuildID=2008080512
    ID=prism@developer.mozilla.org

README.txt shows:

1.0.4 (build 1833)

So which version is it?

I want to upgrade to 7 but I read:

"Zimbra Desktop 1.0.x can not be upgraded to Zimbra Desktop 7.x" so I need to know.

What can I back up before installing in case of disaster?

Has support for this product gotten so bad that no one can answer this seemingly very simple question in a week's time?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by foobaz View Post
    Has support for this product gotten so bad that no one can answer this ...
    These are Community Support forums not official Zimbra Tech Support, everyone who posts here does so voluntarily and when they have the time.

....seemingly very simple question in a week's time?
    The (most likely) reason you haven't received an answer is because it is a simple question to answer. If you'd bother to look at the download page you would see that there never was any version numbered 1.9.0.1 so the answer to your question is - you can't upgrade from that version to ZD 7.x
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    The (most likely) reason you haven't received an answer is because it is a simple question to answer.
    Ahhhh! Finally an answer. Not a particularly useful answer but an answer nonetheless. First let me thank you for your non-hostile, non-troll-like tone. That certainly lends credibility to your post and raises you a notch above the many trolls that exist online these days. So, you say that this is a simple question to answer. Then why haven't you answered it?

If you'd bother to look at the download page you would see that there never was any version numbered 1.9.0.1 so the answer to your question is - you can't upgrade from that version to ZD 7.x
    Let's see now. The 'Latest' download page shows version 7.0.1 available. The 'Archives' page show 1.0.4 as the earliest version AVAILABLE to download. This by no means implies that there weren't any interim versions or upgrades before 2.0.x. And "If you'd bother to look at " my OP, you will read
    I want to upgrade to 7 but I read:
    "Zimbra Desktop 1.0.x can not be upgraded to Zimbra Desktop 7.x" so I need to know.
    You would also read that there are version numbers in my config files that range from 0.9.1 to 1.9.0.3299. Hence my OP.

You also neglected, no doubt in your zeal, to answer the question
    What can I back up before installing in case of disaster?
    Meanwhile, since no one here seems either able or willing to help, I reread the FAQ for 7.1 and I found:

Current installations of Zimbra Desktop 2.0.x can be upgraded to 7.1 directly.
    Zimbra Desktop 1.0.x can not be upgraded to Zimbra Desktop 7.1.
    So the implication is that 1.0.x cannot be upgraded DIRECTLY. Is there an INDIRECT way to upgrade 1.9.x perhaps? Or is an upgrade not possible with anything less than 2.0?

As for backup files, I exported all my accounts. According to the manual there should be data files in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Zimbra\Zimbra Desktop. There is no such directory. I copied all the program directory files. Is there any other data that would be needed by a clean installation of 7.1?

This time, how about letting someone who knows what they are talking about answer. Fair enough?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Ahhhh!]This time, how about letting someone who knows what they are talking about answer. Fair enough?
    Fair enough and let's hope you're not as patronising to the next person that answers.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

mlotridge is offline Starter Member

You can (supposedly) upgrade to 2.0 (you'll find it in the download archives) and then to 7. However, I tried that and had no success.

Quote Originally Posted by mlotridge View Post
    You can (supposedly) upgrade to 2.0 (you'll find it in the download archives) and then to 7. However, I tried that and had no success.
    Yeah well I tried that too with disastrous results. First I installed 2.0 over the current unknown version but it crashed. I then installed 7.1 over that and it crashed. I uninstalled 7.1 and then 2.0 and installed 1.4 over whatever was left and that works but it crashes many times a day. Even worse than the original install. I even tried installing 7.1 in its own directory. It ran but I had to start from scratch. There was no way to import all my saved exports from the original install. So I uninstalled it. I'm getting tired of this. I tried Thunderbird with Yoohoo! plug-in but it is very erratic. Most times it can't log into the server, and when it does, it retrieves really old messages and a few new ones and nothing in between. Can't send either. I found a way to simply import Yahoo mail to a gmail account so eventually I am going to try that. This is just ridiculous. Obviously Yahoo doesn't want to support free users any more.

hako is offline Junior Member

Well, this thread is a little old, but I could not find better/more recent ones for the same problem.

I was running v1.03 for several years. It started silently with Windows, synchronized all messages in all folders of my (paid) Yahoo! account.
    Aside of some glitches with address book fields I did not have serious issues. All it took was to delete related error messages every couple of weeks.
    I regularly backed up the mailbox producing a tgz file.

When I had some time I tried to upgrade:
    1. ZD version 7.14
    - backed up to .tgz
    - un-installed v1.03
    - installed v7.14, setup yahoo account
    - import the .tgz
    Result: after more than 30 hours, about half of the mailbox was imported, the import stopped with a connection related error message. I tried to sync the remainder from Yahoo!, but it did not work, always the same message.

2. v2.01
    - un-installed v7.14, deleted all data
    - installed v2.01, set-up Yahoo account
    - import .tgz stopped after about 20%, no error msg
    - sync with Yahoo started, it took about 3 days on DSL
    The messages were sync'ed, but, the address book cannot sync. "Yahoo address book synchronization has been temporarily blocked..."

Looks like I have to go back to v1.03, has anyone ever imported the .tgz from that version?
    It looks like there was a v1.04, but not available in the archives anymore ...

Thread Information