Thread: Can't Install ZD 2.0.1 on XP Media Center SP3

JonB is offline Member

Exclamation Can't Install ZD 2.0.1 on XP Media Center SP3

OK - I'm toast on this -

I FOOLISHLY exported and then uninstalled ZD 1.0.4 because I needed IMAP support for Exchange on one client account. ENOUGH SAID ABOUT MY BAD

I did, of course export everything - thanks to God.

I ran the ZD uninstall 1st, and told it to delete data.

Downloaded the 2.0.1 MSI installer and had a go at it...

The setup runs, and does the basic code install but it never configures and launches the Desktop. If you have checked the Run Zinbra Desktop now box - you would expect the configuration script to run, I guess ???

nope - just a flash of a command window then nothing.

I have narrowed down the issue a bit -

Instead of getting a Zimbra folder in c:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Local Settings\Application Data, I got two "stubs" - one named 'VMware\Zimbra Desktop" and a second (probably from my second installation effort) 'VMware Inc\Zimbra Desktop".

both are empty - no configuration data (as I checked against an XP Pro machine I installed on which seemed to configure OK.

http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/images/zvmfu.png

XP Media Center 2002 SP3

http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/images/zvmfu-2.png

I'd guess at an OS version check that did not work properly, and choked.

Who knows?

BUT - I am stuck, and that's the machine I need to use with Zimbra at work.

boo hiss

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

could be an unsupported windows flavor. your best bet is to re-install 1.0.4 and import everything back.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    OK - I'm toast on this -

I FOOLISHLY exported and then uninstalled ZD 1.0.4 because I needed IMAP support for Exchange on one client account. ENOUGH SAID ABOUT MY BAD

I did, of course export everything - thanks to God.

I ran the ZD uninstall 1st, and told it to delete data.

Downloaded the 2.0.1 MSI installer and had a go at it...

The setup runs, and does the basic code install but it never configures and launches the Desktop. If you have checked the Run Zinbra Desktop now box - you would expect the configuration script to run, I guess ???

nope - just a flash of a command window then nothing.

I have narrowed down the issue a bit -

Instead of getting a Zimbra folder in c:\Documents and Settings\%user%\Local Settings\Application Data, I got two "stubs" - one named 'VMware\Zimbra Desktop" and a second (probably from my second installation effort) 'VMware Inc\Zimbra Desktop".

both are empty - no configuration data (as I checked against an XP Pro machine I installed on which seemed to configure OK.

http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/images/zvmfu.png

XP Media Center 2002 SP3

http://bravo.newnetenterprises.com/images/zvmfu-2.png

I'd guess at an OS version check that did not work properly, and choked.

Who knows?

BUT - I am stuck, and that's the machine I need to use with Zimbra at work.

boo hiss

JonB is offline Member

Default I'll stick with my boo hiss

I did re-install, but it may be the last time for Zimbra

"could be" - now that's a really good employee response...

Is there a list somewhere of supported Windows OS versions?

There aren't that many XP variants that the install should not have been tested against them at least in the primary language. How long could it take?

"sloppy test engineering"

Just my opinion.

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

Even without considering the different "editions" of Windows (e.g. Home, Basic, Workstation, Professional, Server, MC, etc, etc...), Windows has alreay had "too many" variants: XP, Vista, Windows 7, plus 32bit vs 64bit.

You are right that we did not test ZD on all of them. It's mainly tested on more popular/recent Windows versions/editions.

Sorry that ZD 2.0 didn't work out for you.

There aren't that many XP variants that the install should not have been tested against them at least in the primary language. How long could it take?

Just my opinion.

AH23 is offline Member

Talking

Just my opinion.

I had the same problem with XP Pro SP2, what I had to do is run ccleaner (Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!), If you clean the registry with it after you uninstall 1.0.4 to get rid of any "leftovers" and then try and reinstall it just might work.

However our problem was that Zimbra Desktop didn't install correctly the first time then it gave out a multitude of errors until I cleaned up the registry. But migrating from the older to the newer could cause problems I guess

Worked for us, Hope it works for you

JonB is offline Member

Default thanks - I'll give it a go

Quote Originally Posted by AH23 View Post
    I had the same problem with XP Pro SP2, what I had to do is run ccleaner (Piriform - Download CCleaner, Defraggler, Recuva, Speccy - Millions of users worldwide!), If you clean the registry with it after you uninstall 1.0.4 to get rid of any "leftovers" and then try and reinstall it just might work.

However our problem was that Zimbra Desktop didn't install correctly the first time then it gave out a multitude of errors until I cleaned up the registry. But migrating from the older to the newer could cause problems I guess

Worked for us, Hope it works for you
    Thanks for that info - I'm going to give it a go after I finish the critical stuff. I would like to try out the 2.0 version, as I'd like to see the 'all boxes' features. BUT - the ugly side of Zimbra (moving things) means I have to do so on non-critical stations. After I made the first post, and read your reply, I looked on more stations and saw that Zimbra 'leaves' stuff' in many places... Still, its a remarkable piece of software (at least the 1.04 version is). It has been plagued by never being the focus of a true corporate effort Yahoo squandered their money and effort ineffectively - a bloody shame given their e-mail marketshare. MAYBE VMware will do better (ummm unlikely - think SUSE - another bloody shame). Why do I always love the wallflowers????

thanks fo' the info'

<== kool geek

JonB is offline Member

Default Too many Windows variants?

@ jmhe

Well, only speaking for myself - if "I" were to engineer a universal e-mail client and promote it as part of a global company, I would:

A. - Have/Keep a definitive list of tested OK client OS's and variants posted in the FAQs.

B. - When 'getting to the above list', I likely would have used some common sense. i.e - Win7, Vista, XP all major variants, and perhaps the W2K3 and W2K8 servers.

C. - and Linux Unix don't have too many variants??? Jeez - at least with Windows you have a chance of knowing where the OS components are on any given day without a secret decoder ring LOL. (I do *nix work as well, so I'm not a OS bigot, just a realist.)

In the current environment of 'dialing up a correctly provisioned VM' for testing by clicking a 'start container' icon, its kinda hard to say "its OK to skip testing, as its too much work to maintain all those environments."

just my thoughts, what would I know really...

AH23 is offline Member

fyi, windows xp's varients are all at their base xp home or xp pro (media center etc.) so by saying support for Windows XP Service Pack 2, it basically covers them all

As far as Vista and 7 there is home, pro, and ultimate that's all as of now.

And Linux has a tonnnn of variants List of Linux distributions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -_-

ja9ae is offline Junior Member

I have the similar issue in Windows XP Pro SP3.

The script window appeared & went in a flash after install and now ZD won't start. There was nothing in the log directory.

So, I tried to run the command on the command line too see what might be happening and got the following:

Code:
    C:\Zimbra Desktop\win32>C:\WINDOWS\system32\cscript.exe "C:\Zimbra Desktop\win32
    \zdrun.vbs"
    Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Zimbra Desktop\win32\zdrun.vbs(72, 5) (null): This application has failed to
    start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the appli
    cation may fix this problem.
    Line 72 of the script is where it attempts to launch this file:
    Code:
    Sub LaunchPrism()
        Dim sCmd

sCmd = Chr(34) & sAppRoot & "\win32\prism\zdclient.exe" & Chr(34)
        oShell.Run sCmd, 1, false 
        WScript.Quit
    End Sub
    Is this something to do with xulrunner perhaps?

Thread Information