Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zimbra Desktop on linux deletes everything in destination folder

medicaldiamonds is offline Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by dywang View Post
    Sorry for your loss. Now we added confirmation in the install script.
    The install script still overwrites existing /home/<username>/zdesktop folders. I downloaded the "zdesktop_7_1_1_ga_b10917_linux_i686.tgz" (build 10917) and installed on Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit.

The user install script (user-install.pl) creates a "zd_backup" folder in the /home/<username> directory. Is the install script supposed to place any existing /home/<username>/zdesktop in the zd_backup folder? Because in my case, the script did not do that. It still removes/overwrites any existing /home/<username>/zdesktop and places a new /home/<username>/zdesktop folder that is about 12MB in size
    Last edited by medicaldiamonds; 09-01-2011 at 11:13 AM.

generation is offline New Member

Default We are a business & have to recover what zimbra deleted

I was installing Zimbra desktop and got to the part of the step by step installation where it asks for a folder where it will be installed. I typed in /home/kevinnj and the $%^# thing deleted my whole home folder without any confirmation. How is this acceptable behaviour? I have lost all the data in my home folder. Please note that the installation was done as a normal user and not as root. Why, why, why does zimbra need to delete the contents of a directory. If it finds that the directory has other files in it can't it ask the user to supply the location of a new directory

SYSTEM WINDOWS XP

DIANE

Quote Originally Posted by generation View Post
    Why, why, why does zimbra need to delete the contents of a directory. If it finds that the directory has other files in it can't it ask the user to supply the location of a new directory

SYSTEM WINDOWS XP

DIANE
    I feel your pain Diane, I too lost 2 years worth of POP emails, filters, contacts...poof, gone!

This taught me very important lessons:

1) Before ANY zimbra maintenance release or product updates, always backup zimbra using the preferred and only backup method (Preferences --> Backups --> select accounts to backup --> Backup Accounts Now). All backups go to $HOME/zd_backup folder as compressed tgz file(s).

2) After the backup, make a backup of the backup (sorry, I'am that paranoid when it comes to backing up my CTO and CIO's emails) folder $HOME/zd_backup/*.* to tape/NAS/USB drive and save some place safe.

At this point, I could care less what happens to the $HOME/zdesktop, $HOME/zd_backup, and /opt/zimbra folders as long as I have step #2 above some place readily accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by medicaldiamonds View Post
    The install script still overwrites existing /home/<username>/zdesktop folders. I downloaded the "zdesktop_7_1_1_ga_b10917_linux_i686.tgz" (build 10917) and installed on Ubuntu 11.04 32-bit.
    OK, i'm happy to update this thread as I just manually downloaded and manually upgraded my zimbra desktop from 7.1.1 release B10917 to zimbra desktop 7.1.2 B10978 successfully -- and this time, the install script DID NOT overwrite the existing /home/<username>/zdesktop folder. By "manual" install I mean I went to Zimbra - Products: Zimbra Desktop Downloads and downloaded the tgz install file for Linux. I did not run zimbra sotware update --> check updates --> install new updates from within zimbra desktop.

I was happy to see all my existing mail folders, contacts, etc when zimbra opened up initially after the upgrade.

A big thanks to ZIMBRA!

WPedro is offline Starter Member

The same thing just happened to me 30 minutes ago. My Home folder gone, I mean vanished with everything in it. For the first 20 minutes I wanted to virtually (as in virtual, digital) abuse anyone representing Zimbra. I was (and still am) furious (I will spare you the capital letters, but imagine...)
    Then I thought, how much did I pay for this? 0, because it's free software (as in free speach) So I decided to skip the abuse part and offer my views to solve this problem.
    FIX THIS!
    i can't believe that after those stories, this would still be happening. I read earlier someone from the Zimbra team asking why the user changed the location of the directory. If I remember well, the installation procedure asks us to "choose" the bloody directory.
    In my case, all I was trying to do is choose a place for user files and desktop Icon. How can anyone imagine at that point that choosing a folder means wiping it out??? Linux has a brilliant safety record because users get explicit warnings whenever an action threatens to do some damage.
    So if by installing Zimbra Desktop one of the risks is that it wipes out an entire directory, one would think that the moment would be well chosen for a little pop-up window saying: "Oh by the way, we will trash the whole directory, are you okay with that?"
    Then if the person says yes, you can ask them: But why did you do that? I don't know if or when someone will read this, but when you do, please fix this before anybody else gets burned.
    And do it quickly!
    Other than that, free software is essential and Zimbra is an important piece of that puzzle, so please consider my remarks as "constructive". I mean it.
    Thanks

dywang is offline Zimbra Employee

Sorry for your loss. What version did it happen to ?

WPedro is offline Starter Member

Thanks, I just read (and I must have missed it before writing my rant) that the authorization script had been added. So we didn't whine in vain : )

I don't remember what version of Zdesktop I took, think it was the last stable... My system is Ubuntu 11.04. I got everything back on track eventually, I did lose some content (nothing major, fortunately) and spent the better part of a day reorganizing everything as it was.

Well, you always learn something in the end, and backing up more regularly than I have been doing is certainly one of them...

Cheers!

P. A.

The OP mentioned he's using Ubuntu 11.04. If he downloaded and used ZD "prior" to version 7.1.2 B10978, then the user install script will delete the contents of the $HOME/zd_backup folder. This happened to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information