Thread: Trouble - Windows 7 - Install in Standard User

BPaulB is offline Starter Member

Default Trouble - Windows 7 - Install in Standard User

We have a new computer and have done a successful install in the Administrator account (everything works) but want to access the Zimbra Desktop from a Standard User account on the same machine. We can not seem to get a shortcut to work, and have tried installing ZD from the standard account... install process looks OK but then no shortcut and Zimbra doesn't show up in programs. [also during the install it says "a previous version exists and must be uninstalled.... so we continued]

Even tried temporarily changing the Standard User identity to be an Administrator... still no joy.

Any suggestions / solutions would be greatly appreciated. (We read an old post similar to this one, but it had no replies.

Thank you

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

Are you using the currently available version from Zimbra Desktop or are you using the beta version available in the sticky thread?

The standard version is unable to support multiple users. If you are using it try uninstalling it and using the beta version.

BPaulB is offline Starter Member

Default I will try -- thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    Are you using the currently available version from Zimbra Desktop or are you using the beta version available in the sticky thread?

The standard version is unable to support multiple users. If you are using it try uninstalling it and using the beta version.
    ArcaneMagus, thank you for the information.
    We are using the standard version and I will try the Beta.
    When we download the Beta are there directions on how to impement multiple users? or is it "intuitive"/

Once again, thanks for the post and the help.

BPaulB

I guess you could say it's "intuitive".

The currently released version installs all binaries and user data into a directory in the home folder of the user installing it. Since the backend service runs as that user, other users are either unable to start the service, or would simply get the data from the first user (never tested this myself so I don't know which).

The beta however installs files into a Program Files folder, and stores user data in folders for each user. Each user that starts the program starts their own executable to serve it for them, thus allowing multiple people to run ZD on the same machine at once (under different user accounts).

aidanewen is offline Intermediate Member

OK, but where do you actually get the Beta version - I've been looking for about half an hour now - it's starting to get frustrating.

aidanewen is offline Intermediate Member

OK - took me a least an hour to find this -
    beta 2 download
    http://files2.zimbra.com/downloads/z...0414_win32.msi
    zd 2.0
    Zimbra Desktop 2 - Zimbra :: Wiki

dkbk is offline Senior Member

Sorry to hijack this thread but a related question comes to mind regarding the install procedure of ZD2.

Currently, I've set up our laptops to be unable to install software without admin priviledges through Group Policies for obvious security reasons.

That means, under XP at least, that the setup process would need be launched using "Run as" administrator and as soon as an install is elevated, it installs under the Administrator's account. I see a head on collision right there if the files will be kept in the installing user's directory.

Any way to just set the security permissions to the install folder for said user (ex: allow access to c:\program files (x86)\ZD2\) and when we launch the program from that users account, it will create the configuration files for that account in the Documents Folder of the user's account ? That's the way most programs do it.

Also, when you grant admin permission from a user account in Vista/7, I haven't noticed if it has the same behavior as in XP or does it instal in that user's folder regardless ?

I'd test it on my own laptop but I haven't put such restrictions on my own account and I'd rather avoid installing beta software on my user's systems.

As I said in my last post the beta installs most executables in a program files directory, and when run by a new user will create folders for the user in their home directory. So you could install it as the admin user account and on first run the other users would create a profile for it.

dkbk is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneMagus View Post
    As I said in my last post the beta installs most executables in a program files directory, and when run by a new user will create folders for the user in their home directory. So you could install it as the admin user account and on first run the other users would create a profile for it.
    Reading your post, I was under the impression the installer created those files during the install process which would have been an issue for me.

Thanks for the clarification.

Thread Information