Thread: Problem in installing Zimbra desktop 2

rajeshkodali is offline Loyal Member

Default Problem in installing Zimbra desktop 2

Hi,

I have installed Desktop2 beta. As I could not find the option for upgrade and ran installer.pl and installed it in my home/user/zimbra/zdesktop. Now my old local folders are lost. I seriously need that folders. Can some one help??

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rajeshkodali View Post
    Hi,

I have installed Desktop2 beta. As I could not find the option for upgrade and ran installer.pl and installed it in my home/user/zimbra/zdesktop. Now my old local folders are lost. I seriously need that folders. Can some one help??
    Why did you do that instead of installing in a different folder? If they're not there then they're completely gone. Did you read the wiki articles in the ZD 2 beta announcement? That covers what you should do to save your current installation data and tells you there's no upgrade option. This is beta software and should be treated as such.
    Last edited by phoenix; 03-07-2010 at 05:42 AM.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

rebllc is offline New Member

Default archives/sent lost on install

The installation of 2.0 beta has a step at which there is a checkbox to choose whether or not to delete existing data, which one would reasonably presume if left unchecked -- since this is what it says in red lettering -- that it wouldn't delete data.

Well, not so, apparently. And, Bill, users are supposed to scour online wikis and forums in detail before doing a simple installation of a newer program version in order to preserve their data? That seems an unrealistic expectation, even for a beta.

I can't find any of my archived or sent messages after my installation of 2.0 beta even though I left the "delete data" box unchecked, which is really, really upsetting. All the messages in my inbox, they're right there just fine and dandy. I thought Zimbra was supposed to sync with the server and leave a copy on the server (which it seemed to be since I used multiple computers to access email, and since I still find my inbox messages), but now nothing shows up in 'sent' and there are none of my other folders...it's like I'm starting from scratch and all my business correspondences for 6 years is gone.

I really, really hope this is not the case. Any help?

What is an unsupported configuration?

Even if one understands that local data would need to be preserved before uninstalling and reinstalling a program, which I do, I do not believe it is clear to the average user that a program that interfaces with a remote server and syncs that data would risk data loss on the server through the upgrade.

I understood that all data would need to be redownloaded from servers. I have three email accounts set up in Zdesktop, and two worked fine (except for missing recent address book changes) after the new install of 2.0, with the third account now only showing the messages in the inbox, but nothing in archives or sent messages. This is the problem.

I think it is a legitimate point to note that the installation process -- especially the step with the checkbox to choose whether or not to delete data -- is misleading.

It is a shame that an official product support moderator/consultant chooses to ignore legitimate concerns or dig deeper to uncover product issues and instead replies with smarmy questions like "how much clearer does it need to be?" Extremely unprofessional. I looked at several other threads moderated by Bill and note similar replies of a personal and/or insulting nature. I hope Zimbra management is also taking note.

As to the question of an "unsupported configuration":

I uninstalled 1.x and then installed 2.x beta. I did not, and did not say, that I installed 2.x beta over top of 1.x in the same location. I would still call what I did an upgrade...perhaps we're missing each other on the definition of that word. Point is, I did it like you're saying I should have. Point in summary again: I did what I thought I was supposed to, have lost data, and am seeking assistance, or at least an acknowledgment that something other than incompetence on my part may possibly be the issue.

As to the issue of thinking it prudent to make a backup before installing beta software:

Maybe so, but 2.x beta has a real problem if it deletes both local and server data at the same time when I put it on my machine. And why too have I lost only a portion of the data in 1 of my 3 accounts?

As to the "delete information" checkbox step in the 2.x beta install process: what is it for? Why is it present at all if there is no migration process supported? In this way, it IS misleading.

As to your assertion that your question, "How much clearer does it need to be?" was a genuine question seeking feedback and improvement:

Give me a break. That form of question is necessarily sarcastic and rhetorical. If you legitimately wanted to seek input and constructive criticism you would have asked something along the lines of: "Do you have suggestions for how to make our documentation more clear and accessible to users?"

Thread Information