Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fed 11 fix /etc/hosts

ZenMasta is offline Senior Member

Question fed 11 fix /etc/hosts

Hello,
    During install I received a message/warning that I needed to fix /etc/hosts to add ip hostname fqdn etc

I am unsure exactly what I am supposed to edit my hosts file too because it seems like the install example says something like
    ipaddress fqdn hostname

I am confused because there is no field for fqdn if you use the gui to edit hosts. instead it offers the fields: ip hostname alias
    http://buggyonpurpose.com/random/etc-hosts.png

The ip address of my computer on the network is 192.168.13.175
    This is just a small home office lan so there are a few computers and we don't have anything fancy going on. Another reason I'm confused iswhere it asks for the FQDN... we have a domain for our website but that server is collocated. If required I can point a subdomain to this computer.

i have tried manually editing the file to show 192.168.13.175 adomainname zcs but after doing so I was unable to browse the internet so it seems like that wasn't the right way to do it.

I have taken screenshots of what I think are all important places to help figure this out.

Thanks so much

FYI, my goal is to install zcs for the purpose of switching from ms outlook 2002 to zimbra desktop and I understood this was the only way to do it. (create imap account on zcs, move all old mail from outlook to the imap account, then use zdesktop and store all the messages locally)

ArcaneMagus is offline Moderator

Your /etc/hosts file should look something like this:
    Code:
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.13.175 computerName.aDomainName.com computerName

Hi Arcane,
    I went ahead and edited the file to
    192.168.13.175 zcs.mywebsitesdomain zcs

I rebooted to make sure the network service and anythign else that uses this file would restart.

When I logged back in however I was no longer able to browse the internet...

Regardless I began to install and I no longer received that prompt to fix hosts. However it did warn/suggest that my hostname should be resolvable via dns...

I assumed this mainly for 1 but a 2nd reason if I had working internet
    1) after changing the hosts file I had no internet connection
    2) the subdomain.mydomain.com is not configured so even if I did have internet it probably would have failed.
    Anyway I choose not to change the hostname and to continue. Similarly I got another warning about not having an mx record which I ignored too.

Eventually it seemed like install completed and I had a list of menu options. I went ahead and changed the admin password and then when I went to hit "a" to save the config everything was marked as done and then it came to "initializing ldap... failed (5632)"

ERROR and then I'm not sure what happened.

At this point I'm not sure what to do...

I had to remove the line I created in the hosts file so I could connect to the internet again and update this post.

I thought at the end it said the error would be logged but I forgot to jot down where. I've looked in /opt/zimbra but I don't see it so far, the only log I see is /opt/zimbra/log/startup.log

Also
    [zimbra@ZCS ~]$ zmcontrol status
    Unable to determine enabled services from ldap.
    Unable to determine enabled services. Cache is out of date or doesn't exist.

[zimbra@ZCS ~]$ zmcontrol start
    Host zcs.mydomain.com
    Starting ldap...Done.
    Failed.
    Failed to start slapd. Attempting debug start to determine error.
    daemon: bind(7) failed errno=99 (Cannot assign requested address)
    slap_open_listener: failed on ldap://zcs.mydomain.com:389
    Last edited by ZenMasta; 12-01-2009 at 03:44 PM.

The log would be in /tmp. Something starting with zmsetup I think. But I can tell you right now the problem is that it couldn't find the host to connect to.

As far as I know though... the desktop shouldn't need a MX record at all to install. Are you installing the desktop or the Zimbra Collaboration Suite? Looking again at your original post it almost seems like you are trying to install ZCS for some reason...

If you are simply trying to move your mail from Outlook to Zimbra Desktop what mail server are you connecting to?

http://buggyonpurpose.com/random/installlog.txt
    I'm installing zcs not desktop client.

I'm using outlook 2002 pop is provided by MailEnable standard which is hosted on our web server
    I don't have a problem getting zdesktop to connect to my server. Like I said in my original post (last sentances), I just want to move all my old mail from outlook into zdesktop.

Yes, it's obvious that it could not find the host because after I made that change to my hosts file I could not connect to the internet. And I'm guessing for some reason this thing wont install properly if you don't have internet access (makes no sense that internet access is required during install)

It seems like there should be a way to configure my hosts file so I do not lose connection to the internet.

mailenable standard doesn't support imap and even if it did I wouldn't want to use it because it would take way too long to upload/redownload gigs of emails compared to doing it locally.
    Last edited by ZenMasta; 12-01-2009 at 04:03 PM.

Do you actually want a Zimbra server? Or are you just trying to move your mail between Outlook and Zimbra Desktop?

If you are simply trying to move your mail between Outlook and Zimbra Desktop, then installing a ZCS server is absolute overkill, and wont change the steps to move the messages between the clients at all. If this "mailenable" supports IMAP connections, or if can you move the messages back onto the server using POP then your best bet is to just move the messages back onto the server. After that connect to the server with Zimbra Desktop and let it sync everything.

like I said, mailenable standard doesn't support imap and the size of all my emails would take too long to upload/download. Actually I probably edited that last line just as you replied... I knew that question was coming hehe.

Your post didn't say that when I first read it

Ok well... I really would not recommend installing ZCS on your desktop machine directly. Are you familiar with any virtualization software? If I were you I would setup a virtual machine, install ZCS on it, and then use the PST import wizard to populate an account on this server, then connect to it with Zimbra Desktop.

That is pretty much what I think you are trying to do, but the server will be in a virtual machine where you can configure the things you will need like Split DNS - Zimbra :: Wiki properly.

As an aside... vote on Bug 31646 - Zimbra desktop support local pst file as that would just solve your problem directly. Unfortunately for you... if it does get fixed it won't be in any time frame to be useful for you.

Yeah, so you get what I'm trying to do now. I've definitely read the forums and found this is the only way. I've never used xen or vmware and I would probably find that more difficult than what I've already got going which is spare computer with fed 11 and now zimbra on it.

I already have a working subdomain pointing to my IP so can I avoid the split dns issue if I just create some nat/rules to this fedora box?

btw, just voted for that bug although I thought I've voted for similar in the past.

When Zimbra is installed it needs to have a valid A and MX record pointing to the server.

You can verify that it can find this by running the following commands:
    Code:
    dig yourdomain.com MX
    dig zcs.yourdomain.com A
    host `hostname`
    Your output should look like this:
    Code:
    zimbra@email:~$ dig domain.com MX

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P2 <<>> domain.com MX
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 49308
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;domain.com.                  IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    domain.com.           86400   IN      MX      0 email.domain.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    domain.com.           86400   IN      NS      ns1.domain.com.
    domain.com.           86400   IN      NS      ns2.domain.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    email.domain.com.     86400   IN      A       192.168.1.6
    ns1.domain.com.       86400   IN      A       192.168.1.2
    ns2.domain.com.       86400   IN      A       192.168.1.3

;; Query time: 1 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.2#53(192.168.1.2)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Dec  1 15:45:54 2009
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 136

zimbra@email:~$ dig email.domain.com A

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P2 <<>> email.domain.com A
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 58350
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;email.domain.com.            IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    email.domain.com.     86400   IN      A       192.168.1.6

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    domain.com.           86400   IN      NS      ns1.domain.com.
    domain.com.           86400   IN      NS      ns2.domain.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
    ns1.domain.com.       86400   IN      A       192.168.1.2
    ns2.domain.com.       86400   IN      A       192.168.1.3

;; Query time: 0 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.1.2#53(192.168.1.2)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Dec  1 15:46:03 2009
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 120

zimbra@email:~$ host `hostname`
    email.domain.com has address 192.168.1.6
    Until you get valid output from those commands, trying to install ZCS wont do too much good.

Your /etc/hosts file should also look something like this:
    Code:
    zimbra@email:~$ cat /etc/hosts
    127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
    192.168.1.6     email.domain.com      email

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
    ::1     ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
    fe00::0 ip6-localnet
    ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
    ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
    ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
    ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
    Also as you mentioned that when you had corrected your /etc/hosts file you couldn't access the internet you might want to check your /etc/resolv.conf which should list the DNS servers your computer should query, like the following:
    Code:
    zimbra@email:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    search pyxislab.com
    nameserver 192.168.1.2
    nameserver 192.168.1.3
    (Note how the nameserver lines match the NS lines from the DNS queries)

Depending on what you are using to point the subdomain to your IP address, it might just be easier to set up a split dns setup on this box so that you can get MX records working.
    Last edited by ArcaneMagus; 12-02-2009 at 12:36 PM. Reason: host `hostnam` would have done nothing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information