Thread: EGroupware linked to Zimbra Desktop

Abacus is offline Starter Member

Default EGroupware linked to Zimbra Desktop

Hi,

Im trying to use the Zimbra Desktop as a Calendar Client for our Companys Construction Shedulling.
    We have a Working Ical Server in an Ubuntu Egroupware installation.
    Since the Web Interface of the Egroupware "doesnt fit to our workflow" I am looking for a Desktop Client.

When i try to link the ical calendars into Zimbra Destop (https://XXX.org/egroupware/icalsrv.php/events.ics) it keeps telling me: "The URL is not reachable at the moment"

As far as i know the error could be that the calendars are password protected, since we dont want to change the password protection i have to find a way arround.

Any help is appreciated

Sorry for bad english

Abacus is offline Starter Member

Nonone?

JLee is offline Zimbra Employee

Zimbra Desktop supports CalDAV server. "iCal server" as you mentioned is probably a WebDAV repository where people can upload and download ics files, and it won't work with Zimbra Desktop.

LMStone is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Abacus View Post
    Hi,

Im trying to use the Zimbra Desktop as a Calendar Client for our Companys Construction Shedulling.
    We have a Working Ical Server in an Ubuntu Egroupware installation.
    Since the Web Interface of the Egroupware "doesnt fit to our workflow" I am looking for a Desktop Client.

When i try to link the ical calendars into Zimbra Destop (https://XXX.org/egroupware/icalsrv.php/events.ics) it keeps telling me: "The URL is not reachable at the moment"

As far as i know the error could be that the calendars are password protected, since we dont want to change the password protection i have to find a way arround.

Any help is appreciated

Sorry for bad english
    FWIW, we used to use eGroupware a few years ago until we switched to Zimbra. We liked very much that eGroupware was open and that you could change the UI to your liking and integrate it pretty easily with third party applications. And for a while, it worked OK for us.

But it didn't truly fit our workflows either, so we took a deep breath, converted to Zimbra and haven't looked back since.

What you may want to consider is scripting a periodic calendar export from eGW and merge/import into a ZCS server to be able to use the Zimbra Desktop. Then you can migrate away from eGW on a feature by feature basis.

You may also want to check with the software vendor who supplies your company's core vertical application to see about their integration capabilities. We have construction company clients who use Timberline for example, and it is fairly straightforward to get Timberline to talk to other systems.

Hope that helps,
    Mark

Thread Information