Thread: Cannot Update or Uninstall

subHERBian is offline Junior Member

Angry Cannot Update or Uninstall

My first install of Yahoo! Zimbra was version 0.91 Build 1344 on Vista SP1 back in early December. The software installed fine and worked without any issues. Last week while closing the program I was notified of an update so I agreed to do so. When the installer ran it said it had to uninstall the old version before installing the new one so I agreed. Everything seemed to install fine... when the program tried to start up after the install it eventually gave a message saying "Couldn't access Yahoo Zimbra Desktop server. If issues perists after reinstall, please check log.....". After rebooting the machine and trying to run the program again it still happens. I downloaded the installer again today and tried to install the program. After it says it needs to uninstall the program first and I agree it eventually states "Previous version can't be uninstalled. New install can't continue".

From there I've tried to uninstall the program manually from both the control panel and also running uninstall.exe from the Program Files folder. Which ever method I use nothing happens. I double click the exe or continue to click uninstall in control panel and nothing happens.

What I noticed when going to the Program Files folder to uninstall was that the Zimbra install folder is not located in C:\Program Files\Zimbra it is actually in C:\Program Filesl\Zimbra ( notice the "l" in Program Filesl ). I'm beginning to think that the rogue Program Filesl install location came from that first update since I did not choose to change any install locations.

So now I am left without being able to update, uninstall or even install a new copy of Zimbra. Aside from that serious issue I would like to somehow backup all my account info seeing that I have many accounts that took forever to enter into Zimbra. Is there someway to export all the accounts from the program folders so when I eventually format this system and install zimbra I can simply import all my previous accounts and settings?

Or better yet provide an installer that can do the job right?

jmhe is offline Zimbra Employee

Update process always use previous installation location. This is the first time I heard this behavior of installing into "Program Files1" during update. You had "Program Files1" created already before running the update, or you think this is something created by ZD update?

Can you search for .install4j/installation.log under either Program Files/Zimbra or Program Files1/Zimbra, then zip up and upload them here? Thanks.

I am pretty sure the Program Folderl (it's actually an L not a 1) came from the update because I had zimbra installed for a month and had been in and out of C: drive many times and never once noticed a Program Filesl directory. It would be hard to miss such a directory considering it's sitting right next to the real Program Files folder.

I will post the log file later this evening when I get home from work.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

There is no logic to switch folder on upgrade, period.

Here's my guess of what happened. When you did the initial upgrade, everything got installed to the existing folder just fine. But somehow it didn't work and we don't have data to know why. Then you did an uninstall. Then you tried to install again. Before the install path is no longer in the registry at this point the installer will ask for an install path again. This time you made a typo and that got installed to the folder with an L.

If I was sitting on your end I may assume the same situation as you stated. But I clearly stated the order of events in my original post. The original install went fine, the update appeared to run fine... then I got the error while trying to run the program, then I got the second error while trying to run the update again. Now I can't run, update or uninstall the program, period.

Attached is the installation.log file
    Attached Files Attached Files

The log actually shows that by the time the upgrade runs it's already under C:\Program Filesl\Zimbra\zdesktop

I saw that too while looking in the log file. I also scanned the registry for everything zimbra and all directories point to Program Filesl. How does any of this explain why the original update installed without any errors (except for the fact that the program wouldnt function properly afterwards). Now running the same installer gets the error?

Anyway it doesn't matter. I ran third party uninstalling software to get rid of it and ran a new install. Everything is working now although I have to once again add all of my accounts.

I'm sorry about your trouble. Next time when you run into an issue, please remember the exact sequence of the steps you take. If you are not sure, please ask on this forum. Also it doesn't hurt to read the FAQ here: http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?tit...ra_Desktop_FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    I'm sorry about your trouble. Next time when you run into an issue, please remember the exact sequence of the steps you take. If you are not sure, please ask on this forum. Also it doesn't hurt to read the FAQ here: Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop FAQ - Zimbra :: Wiki
    I've never in my 15 years of tech support have ever encountered a forum where every response from the tech support involved finger pointing from the help. I've done my fair share of help desk\tech support in the last 15 years and I don't recall ever once pointing my finger at the customer nor would I let my employees do so either. Follow this thread and you'll see at no point was I offered help to the solution, rather all I received was fingers being pointed at me. How you can end this thread with stating I should remember the sequence of events as if I caused the problem after I clearly stated the facts is beyond me.

Good luck with the tech support here folks...they aren't going to make it easy. I live by the rule "If you want something done right... do it yourself" which I did. I solved my own problem with no help of this forum. Close the thread!

subHERBian, the reason we created the FAQ is to aggregate many commonly asked questions from these forums so that users have a central place to go check out information.

Please remember that Desktop is a free and open source product. It is a community supported process. You post questions to the forums, and they get answered by whoever happens to know the answer and not necessarily a Zimbra employee. Because Desktop is a relatively new product so most of the answers are still coming from we developers. This model is probably very different from the type of tech support job you had for 15 years.

From time to time there will be issues that can't be properly diagnosed due to lack of sufficient information. When that happens we will tell users precisely that.

Thread Information