Thread: [SOLVED] After update, Couldn't start Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop server, giving up - Vista

rocaveli is offline Active Member

Unhappy [SOLVED] After update, Couldn't start Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop server, giving up - Vista

I've been using Zimbra for a while now, but today it asked to update, I let it, and after it uninstalled my previous version and reinstalled the new one, I no longer have access to the program. I have a Windows Vista machine.

When I try to start it, the program thinks for a while then gives me the message: "Couldn't start Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop server, giving up." I think this is pretty yellow-bellied of this program: YOU DONT GIVE UP UNTIL I DO hah..

Anyway this is actually pretty serious because I have *alot* of sent mail I absolutely need access to, as well as tags and such. Where (in what folder) is this information saved by Zimbra?

Thanks for your help
    Last edited by rocaveli; 09-01-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: solved

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

please check for error messages under <install>/log. there should be some error messages in mailbox.log or zdesktop.out.

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    please check for error messages under <install>/log. there should be some error messages in mailbox.log or zdesktop.out.
    the logs are NOT modified when the program fails to open...

the mailbox.log it's a huge file... the most recent messages dont seem to be error msg:

2008-08-28 13:41:07,078 DEBUG [sync-timer-XXX@stanford.edu] [] offline - putSyncState: folder 5, key = 17179869189, state = {lastUid=5364,exists=1,unseen=-1,lastModSeq=271054}
    2008-08-28 13:41:07,100 INFO [sync-timer-XXX@stanford.edu] [] datasource - Import completed.

zdesktop.out when converted to txt:
    0 INFO [main] log - Logging to org.slf4j.impl.Log4jLoggerAdapter(org.mortbay.log) via org.mortbay.log.Slf4jLog
    868 INFO [main] log - jetty-6.1.5
    1156 INFO [main] log - No Transaction manager found - if your webapp requires one, please configure one.

it's only 1kb...

well???

this is ridiculous; I've been using Zimbra for a while now: I NEED MY SAVED EMAILS, and I NEED MY EMAIL TAGS!

STUPID STUPID ZIMBRA: I created IMAP FOLDERS but it only saved them as TAGS?? Now i've got hundreds of unsorted msges in my inbox that I already sorted, with rules and everything, through Zimbra ; HOW CAN I ACCESS THESE RULES?

CAN I JUST REINSTALL ZIMBRA?

This is f'ing my week up, and the support is non-existent. I guess I should NEVER have switched from Outlook.

EDIT: deleting the .class files as suggested Zimbra Desktop Build 1278 did NOT work, starting Zimbra from Control Panel FAILED: "Windows could not start the Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop Service on Local Computer. Error1: Incorrect Function"

EDIT2: the "http://localhost:7633/desktop/login.jsp" does NOT work ("Page Load Error")
    Last edited by rocaveli; 08-31-2008 at 11:43 AM.

reinstalling the program fails at the uninstallation stage with the following error message: "The JVM Found at {0} is damaged. Please reinstall or define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 32-bit JDK or JRE"

clicking ok opens another dialog; "The JVM could not be started. the main method may have thrown an exception"

I will reinstall jdk.

THANKS BUT NO THANKS

fixed my problem by doing an install over a previous install (instead of an upgrade), as described here in reference to another problem:

zdesktop won't start (faulting app.) or uninstall (jvm found at {0} is damaged)

Quote Originally Posted by plobbes View Post
    Well, no idea what caused this, but I've done this to work around it...
    - moved c:\zimbra\zdesktop to c:\zimbra\zdesktop.OFF
    - started 0.90 installer
    - after selecting default install directory (c:\zimbra\zdesktop) I moved zdesktop.OFF back to zdesktop
    - started install and just let the installer overwrite the old install

Looks like this worked to keep my old data/settings, etc. and got the services started up again. I wonder if the problem somehow occured with the auto-update process going from beta2 to the few interim auto-updates to the final beta3 update. I noticed that the jvm environment was missing some files (jvm.dll to name one) but didn't do a full analysis.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

rocaveli, please realize that the purpose of beta software and public beta testing is to allow us see problems users run into that we otherwise won't see. simply expressing frustration won't help either yourself or zimbra to improve our product. thanks!

jjzhuang,

and what is the purpose of users posting their problems? so that the dev team can deal with it on their own time in the next 6 months or ASAP so user's lives can get back on track. you're not marketing an internet browser, this is a tool people will use for important business/academic/personal communications and planning - it NEEDS to be as failsafe as possible, and as heavily supported as possible.

Yahoo can't just plaster its name on products that simply crap out when you update them normally. If it does, it needs to have a legion of techs ready to assist customers who run into bugs and other problems.

Thread Information