Thread: SMTP Connect Failure but Gmail's fine..

farkanard is offline Starter Member

Default SMTP Connect Failure but Gmail's fine..

I've tried setting up 2 of my work e-mails accounts that works perfectly fine with my Outlook but it keeps prompting me smtp connect failure in Zimbra setup.

The settings are exactly the same as the ones on my Outlook. I tried for 2 e-mails hosted by 2 different companies but same result. What could be the reason?

Really keen on trying Zimbra out.

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

are you sure you used the correct SMTP settings?

farkanard is offline Starter Member

Yup, i even checked it against my Microsoft Outlook Settings.

incoming & outgoing: mail.XXXcompany.com

the above didn't work so i switched the mail. to smtp. for the outgoing and still the same error message. Port are all correct. Outgoing required authentication so i made sure it was checked as well in Zimbra.

Any other possibility?

guenter is offline New Member

Default connection problems

I am having the same problem - sort of, as since the it has gone a little worse. I wasn't able to set up yahoo email accounts, nor pop3 accounts. Then I tried my gmail account and it worked!!! I am sure that the yahoo account details were entered correctly, as well as the pop3 account details. I would have thought that with Zimbra being a Yahoo product, Yahoo accounts should work - they don't but Google does. Strange!

Anyway, I mentioned that things got worse since ... now if I try to start Zimbra I get the following error:

HTTP ERROR: 500

com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapFaultException: auth credentials have expired
    ExceptionId:btpool0-0:1220816952623:73b454c586a59b19:SoapEngine364
    Code:service.AUTH_EXPIRED

RequestURI=/zimbra/
    Caused by:

javax.el.ELException: com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapFaultException: auth credentials have expired
    ExceptionId:btpool0-0:1220816952623:73b454c586a59b19:SoapEngine364
    Code:service.AUTH_EXPIRED

As this is a http error, I assume that Zimbra actually installs a local web server in order to function (I am completely new to Zimbra, just thought I try it as it handles email, contacts and calendar in one package - which Vista does in a way but I had too many problems with the Vista applications). I have a local web server installed anyway, so is there a conflict with this ... shouldn't be, as it should not have worked in the first place. I know the program is still in beta stage and I hope we get a realease version soon - it really seems to do what I need ---- HELP ---- would be great if I could get it working!!!

NOTE: The HTTP error is now gone (after a restart) - the connection to Yahoo and pop3/smtp servers still doesn't work.
    Last edited by guenter; 09-08-2008 at 06:24 AM.

what's your yahoo account email domain name? is it @yahoo.com?

No, it is a .co.uk. I did wonder if this was the problem, but put it aside as I can log in to this account from yahoo.com without an problems - and there is also stll the problem with pop3 / smtp connectivity not working.

so the .co.uk is indeed a known issue. Bug 31451 – ymail account setup should use username instead of email address

regarding your pop3/smtp trouble, are you sure all the user/pass/host/port/ssl-or-not/smtp-auth-or-not are all correct?

Default still SMTP/POP3 connection failure

Thanks for your help, the Yahoo login is now working fine, but I still get the proplem with the Pop3/SMTP login. I have checked the connection details a few times and have also re-set the password just to be sure.

I have below two entries from the qmail server log, the first one is a successful login with Windows Mail, the second one is generated by clicking on 'Save Settings' in Zimbra:

Sep 9 14:32:25 abc123 pop3d: Connection, ip=[XX.XX.XX.XXX]
    Sep 9 14:32:25 abc123 pop3d: IMAP connect from @ [XX.XX.XX.XXX]INFO: LOGIN, user=user@domain.org, ip=[XX.XX.XX.XXX]
    Sep 9 14:32:25 abc123 pop3d: 1220988745.970748 LOGOUT, user=user@domain.org, ip=[XX.XX.XX.XXX], top=0, retr=0, time=0, rcvd=12, sent=39, maildir=/var/qmail/mailnames/domain.org/admin/Maildir

Sep 9 14:32:42 abc123 pop3d: Connection, ip=[XX.XX.XX.XXX]
    Sep 9 14:32:42 abc123 pop3d: IMAP connect from @ [XX.XX.XX.XXX]INFO: LOGIN, user=user@domain.org, ip=[XX.XX.XX.XXX]
    Sep 9 14:32:43 abc123 pop3d: 1220988763.455062 DISCONNECTED, user=user@domain.org, ip=[XX.XX.XX.XXX], top=0, retr=0, time=1, rcvd=12, sent=25, maildir=/var/qmail/mailnames/domain.org/admin/Maildir

The main difference seems to be the 'LOGOUT' on Windows Mail, and the 'DISCONNECTED' in the Zimbra connection. I don't know if this will help to solve the problem - any help is greatly appreciated.

... here is another log entry, this time the Zimbra log - not from the same login attempt but from another one with the same result - does this shed any light on what is happening?

2008-09-10 14:35:00,013 INFO [btpool0-8] [name=zimbra;ip=127.0.0.1;] datasource - Testing DataSource: { id=250f435c-1d62-4f23-83b1-07f34e0a36e5, type=pop3, isEnabled=true, name=XXXX, host=xxx.xxx.org, port=110, connectionType=cleartext, username=xxxxxx, folderId=2 }
    2008-09-10 14:35:01,001 WARN [btpool0-8] [name=zimbra;ip=127.0.0.1;] Pop3Connection - Start TLS failed
    com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.CommandFailedException: STLS failed: Unknown command, try again.
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.pop3.Pop3Connection.sendC ommandCheckStatus(Pop3Connection.java:329)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.pop3.Pop3Connection.sendS tartTls(Pop3Connection.java:135)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.MailConnection.startTls(M ailConnection.java:277)
    at com.zimbra.cs.mailclient.MailConnection.connect(Ma ilConnection.java:90)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.Pop3Sync.connect(Pop3Sync .java:137)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.Pop3Sync.test(Pop3Sync.ja va:101)
    at com.zimbra.cs.datasource.DataSourceManager.test(Da taSourceManager.java:66)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning. testDataSource(OfflineProvisioning.java:515)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning. createDataSourceAccount(OfflineProvisioning.java:5 67)
    at com.zimbra.cs.account.offline.OfflineProvisioning. createAccount(OfflineProvisioning.java:419)
    at com.zimbra.cs.service.admin.CreateAccount.handle(C reateAccount.java:58)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatchRequest(SoapEng ine.java:411)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:268)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapEngine.dispatch(SoapEngine.jav a:160)
    at com.zimbra.soap.SoapServlet.doPost(SoapServlet.jav a:266)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:727)
    at com.zimbra.cs.servlet.ZimbraServlet.service(Zimbra Servlet.java:188)
    at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet .java:820)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(Ser vletHolder.java:487)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.handle(Se rvletHandler.java:362)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle( SecurityHandler.java:216)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.SessionHandler.handle(Se ssionHandler.java:181)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandler.handle(Co ntextHandler.java:716)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.webapp.WebAppContext.handle(WebA ppContext.java:406)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ContextHandlerCollection .handle(ContextHandlerCollection.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerCollection.handle (HandlerCollection.java:114)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.RewriteHandler.handle(Re writeHandler.java:176)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(Ha ndlerWrapper.java:139)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.Server.handle(Server.java:313)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handleRequest(Htt pConnection.java:506)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection$RequestHandler.co ntent(HttpConnection.java:844)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseNext(HttpParser. java:644)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpParser.parseAvailable(HttpPa rser.java:211)
    at org.mortbay.jetty.HttpConnection.handle(HttpConnec tion.java:381)
    at org.mortbay.io.nio.SelectChannelEndPoint.run(Selec tChannelEndPoint.java:396)
    at org.mortbay.thread.BoundedThreadPool$PoolThread.ru n(BoundedThreadPool.java:442)
    2008-09-10 14:35:01,769 INFO [btpool0-8] [name=zimbra;ip=127.0.0.1;] datasource - Test succeeded
    Last edited by guenter; 09-15-2008 at 05:54 AM.

Thread Information