Thread: Desktop reinstallation after doing an uninstall hangs up

Chasj is offline New Member

Unhappy Desktop reinstallation after doing an uninstall hangs up

Installed Zimbra desktop a month ago on MS Vista PC and all was well until it failed to launch today. Just hangs up on the screen it displays while launching.

Tried the uninstall routine and then did a reinstall. The reinstall hangs up at the "Starting Yahoo! Zimba Desktop Core Services" screen when it looks to be almost complete.

Tried again to uninstall, this time following the manual uninstall procedure and got rid of all but the 5 folders listed to maintain information, reinstalled the program and hung at the same point- "Starting Yahoo! Zimba Desktop Core Services" screen

Any direction on what is causing this to hang and what I might try to clean this up?

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

could you check your <install>/log folder and provide any errors in the log please?

Quote Originally Posted by jjzhuang View Post
    could you check your <install>/log folder and provide any errors in the log please?
    Below are a "Warning" message followed by an "Error" message from Windows logs folder-System in Vista event viewer.

Windows Defender Real-Time Protection agent has detected changes. Microsoft recommends you analyze the software that made these changes for potential risks. You can use information about how these programs operate to choose whether to allow them to run or remove them from your computer. Allow changes only if you trust the program or the software publisher. Windows Defender can't undo changes that you allow.
    For more information please see the following:
    Not Applicable
    Scan ID: {6511BF58-8427-4863-A501-8AB4D86E4CC6}
    User: HomeXPS\Chuck
    Name: Unknown
    ID:
    Severity ID:
    Category ID:
    Path Found: processid:5004;service:Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop Service;file:C:\zimbra\zdesktop\zdesktop.exe
    Alert Type: Unclassified software
    Detection Type:

error: The Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop Service service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly.

error: Unable to initialize the security package Kerberos for server side authentication. The data field contains the error number.

Since no advice has come yet from this forum, I took another shot at installing Zimbra Desktop after a manual uninstall. This time I disabled virus software and turned the firewall off before installing. The results were the same, though i noticed a couple more error messages this time in addition to those listed above. The firewall error message seems odd since I verified the firewall was not on.

Warning:
    Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL - 1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-1799640466-2724016916-3943107057-1000_Classes:
    Process 880 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost. exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1799640466-2724016916-3943107057-1000_CLASSES
    Warning:
    Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards.

DETAIL - 1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\S-1-5-21-1799640466-2724016916-3943107057-1000:
    Process 880 (\Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost. exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER\S-1-5-21-1799640466-2724016916-3943107057-1000
    Windows Firewall was unable to notify the user that it blocked an application from accepting incoming connections on the network.

Error Code: 2

jjzhuang is offline Zimbra Employee

please file a bug and we will investigate. thanks!

OK, I filed a bug. Wasn't exactly clear on how to number it, so entered 999 and it accepted it. I'm not a programmer myself, just a motivated end user looking for a good home-office program. For the month belfore this program completely failed, I was very happy with it.

Thread Information