Thread: OOF Subjects with scandinavian characters, etc

d64
    d64 is offline Active Member

Default OOF Subjects with scandinavian characters, etc

This has been discussed before, but I cannot find a thread that would get to the bottom of this: how to setup ZCS so that the out of office subjects would display all right on most receiving clients?

Right now, the subjects to my out of office replies look like this:
    =?ANSI_X3.4-1968?Q?Re:_Muistutustoiminto_nyt_k=3Fyt=3Fss=3F?=

The receiving client is a recent version of Thunderbird. The subject is in finnish and contains some -characters. Normal messages with these characters are fine.

d64

In Outlook 2003 the =?ANSI part is not displayed, but the scandinavian characters are displayed as "?". Again, normal messages do work.

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Misconfiguration generating the OOO replies

ANSI_X3.4-1968 is actually just an ancient alias for US-ASCII, so the originator of the OOO replies is doing something wrong. Your finnish characters are not displayable in US-ASCII, so the originator of the message is not choosing an appropriate charset when generating the new message Subject.

We can go to the trouble of supporting ANSI_X3.4-1968 as an alias for US-ASCII, but then you'd still see '?' on ZCS as well. If you'd like to see that, please file a bug in bugzilla!
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

d64

What the user has done is that he has opened the web interface with firefox, checked the out of office reply and entered one. The question here is, what should I configure differently on the server, so that the user doing this would end up with correct characters in his out of office replies.

Default Please file this in bugzilla

There's evidently a Zimbra bug here, so please head on over to bugzilla and open a new bug report. Describe what the user did and what they were trying to do, and please attach (as an attachment) a copy of one of the OOO emails that was generated!

Default bug 9051?

Is this bug 9051 (fixed in 4.0.2)? Which version of Zimbra are you running?

d64

I am running 4.0.3. But I recall there have been various problems with the out of office replies and character sets. And of course it might be some misconfiguration on the server, if I only knew where to look.

anand is offline Zimbra Employee

Since we borrow the subject from the original message, I wonder if the original message is somehow mangled too. Can you please file in bugzilla with both (a) Show Original of the message for which the OOO reply was generated and (b) the Show Original of the OOO reply message.

Thread Information