Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: right to left languages

Abel is offline New Member

Default right to left languages

I did not see any reference to right to left languages (i.e., Hebrew, Arabic). Is something being done on this?

Thank you

andyc is offline Zimbra Employee

Quote Originally Posted by Abel
    I did not see any reference to right to left languages (i.e., Hebrew, Arabic). Is something being done on this?
    The browser handles the text rendering but nothing specific is being done for languages that read right-to-left in the client.

I would like to understand the various issues associated with these languages and how they affect the client. The things that I can think of are date/time/number/currency formatting and different calendar support. We can already format data for many locales but we currently only support the Gregorian calendar. Please let me know what else is required to help support these languages.
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    The browser handles the text rendering but nothing specific is being done for languages that read right-to-left in the client.

I would like to understand the various issues associated with these languages and how they affect the client. The things that I can think of are date/time/number/currency formatting and different calendar support. We can already format data for many locales but we currently only support the Gregorian calendar. Please let me know what else is required to help support these languages.
    I will speak about Hebrew.
    First, it is right to left (I guess that was clear from the title). It influences the way you navigate the fields (first you go to the rightmost field, then to the second rightmost, etc.)
    Second, sometimes in Hebrew you use the Hebrew calendar instead of the Gregorian. And, day names are of course different, much in the way you use in Portuguese (first day, second day, etc, but then you have Shabbat, the seventh day).
    The characters are different.
    Spelling would be of importance.

There may be other issues that I don't think of just now.

Best regards

Abel

dkarp is offline Zimbra Employee

Default Can you try to localize?

If you have a little bit of time, it'd be great if you could localize the properties files to Hebrew. Once that's done, we can see where our right-to-left support breaks down in the app.

Thanks!
    Bugzilla - Wiki - Downloads - Before posting... Search!

Quote Originally Posted by dkarp
    If you have a little bit of time, it'd be great if you could localize the properties files to Hebrew. Once that's done, we can see where our right-to-left support breaks down in the app.

Thanks!
    I am rather new to this. Can you elaborate on what do you want me to do?

goetzi is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Abel
    I am rather new to this. Can you elaborate on what do you want me to do?
    He asks you to translate the message files which are located under /opt/zimbra/apache-tomcat-5.5.15/webapps/zimbra/WEB-INF/classes/msgs. The most important file is the ZmMsg.properties file which contains the language parts for the user frontend.

ECB
    ECB is offline Active Member

Post RIght to left text direction in WebMail

Hello

I am reviving this aging thread

We are evaluating Zimbra 5.0.11 Netwrok Edition.

So far, Zimbra seems to deliver everything we require.

However, there's one important feature we're missing: being able to switch text direction to right-to-left in WebMail.

Zimbra supports the correct character code for Hebrew (UTF-8), but it does not offer the option to switch text direction in Webmail.

When I use Apple Mail with IMAP4 and Zimbra, I can switch the text direction when composing a new message because Mail supports this feature.
    To view this feature in Mail, create a new message and then go to Format > Alignment > Writing Direction > Right to Left. You can also right click an empty area in the new message and go to Writing Direction > Right to Left.

When viewing right-to-left Hebrew messages in Webmail, the text direction is displayed correctly (Zimbra preserves the correct direction), but when composing a new message in Webmail, there's no option to switch text direction.

This is a very important feature for us, as this will give us 100% functionality for remote users.

Is there any chance it's going to be added in the next Zimbra update?

Thanks very much.

etamar is offline Starter Member

Default RTL (right to left) languages

Hi all,

Thank you for your interest in this important issue. I believe many are looking for an Outlook replacement and see Zimbra as a great candidate, only if it would support the local language. Hopefully this is not too much work if using any of the below mentioned algorithms and/or actual components!

The main issues we have to think about if we want to give Zimbra its I18N & L10N for Hebrew and Arabic are listed below. There are minor other ones, but this is what I believe compiles the main gist:

• Is "main direction" for writing a paragraph RTL or LTR? This decides how the paragraph begins.
    • Alignment of rows - where to begin counting letters from, reverse coordinates etc'.
    • Does the paragraph contain any second-language information? If so, that portion only should be displayed in its native direction - בצורתה המקורית - like is shown here on Internet explorer.
    • Take into consideration correct breakdown of a paragraph, if sentences break in the middle of the second-language... this can be rather frustrating to write. See BiDi algorithms for how to correctly support it.
    • Take into consideration that numbers retain their LTR order!! This is important so you do not display 13.51 as 15.31 or even 51.13... Again, see good BiDi algorithms for that.
    • Technicalities like where to put the semicolon and colon, comma and dot after an RTL sentence so it doesn't come out at the wrong end of the word.

REFERENCES - check out the following:

Bidirectional Text
    UAX #9: Unicode Bidirectional Algorithm
    ICU Homepage @ icu-project.org ICU project contains interesting and reliable I18N libraries in C++ and Java (good for Zimbra)
    GNU FriBidi GNU Fribidi algorithm
    Products & Technology (Eli Marmor's Hebrew support - I remember working with his solutions as early as some 14 years ago...)

All the best,
    Etamar Laron

adinas is offline Starter Member

Default RTL - Right To left support

I would also like to throw in my support for adding rtl support to Zimbra Desktop. You need to add a button to the compose email page, that when clicked will add to the following to the body tag <body dir="rtl">

That is it. It really is simple

Adin

prerna is offline Starter Member

Default Right to left languages

Hello All,

Can anyone please help me with the following questions about Righ to Left languages:

1) If the icon graphic in English points to right, what direction should it point to in Right to Left language

2) If English Bread crumb is admin\test

Should it be a) admin/test

b) test/admin ; in Right to Left languages

3) If English process diagram is Start ->part1 ->part2 ->end

How it should be in Right to Left languages

4) If DATE and TIME controls are side by side, how should they be displayed in Right to Left languages

Should they be displayed as --- a) DATE TIME

b) TIME DATE

5) How a DATE FORMAT dd/mm/yyyy be displayed in Right to Left language? Should it be displayed as yyyy/mm//dd

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information