Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm not happy. At all.

jholder is offline Former Zimbran

Guys-

I'm going to level with you. The translations issue is something that we're not happy about either. We had a meeting today to discuss your concerns with our team.

We have some ideas on how to make this better for you, and we re-affirm our commitment to do better.

The fact is, we're sorry that you and your customers/users have been so adversely impacted on this. Companies (such as yahoo) usually don't like to admit when they've made a mistake. We did. We didn't have certain checks in place, and we're sorry.

I can give a list of reasons it went so badly, but that's not what you want. You want us to fix it, and we will.

You have my personal commitment that we're rolling out things to make it better. Before 5.0.3 comes out, I will have more information for you.

Please accept our apologies.

If you need ANYTHING (whether you're a paid customer or not) please feel free to ping me or any of our moderators. Trust me: If there's one thing this community is good at, it's listening.

More information to follow in a few days.

All the best,
    john

KevinH is offline Expert Member

Quote Originally Posted by sperkins View Post
    *** sigh ***

not a good example of open-source community work... shame really. Why Zimbra didn't integrate a fully and perfect translation done by you two folks is a mystery to me...

I hope the translation issue pulls off, there are some big customers in France all wanting v5...

Seb
    Please file bugs in our bugzilla. The more specific and to include screenshots and full reproduce steps will help us make the fixes faster. We can't fix what we don't have exact details on. We want to make this better but we need concrete details to move on. Otherwise we won't be working on the issues you care about the most.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

hlribeiro is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Klug View Post
    I'm not happy at all with the 5.x "translation team" (at least for french).

This is my personal (not moderator) view ; as a Zimbra user, previous contributor (to 4.x french translation) and Zimbra admin (supporting unhappy users).

There are huge errors in the translation (search/replace is not a way to do some translation) and obviously no testing was done with the translated files.

I've spent a little time on a "fixed" translation file (and how to use it).

I'm spending lots of time on the AdminUI because parts of it are not translated at all.

And now I've discovered the french translation breaks the conversation view. Until then, only Lotus Notes was using "Réf:" instead of "Re:" to prepend the subject line. That was a real pain.

5.x Zimbra french translation uses "Réf.:".

This is unbelievable...
    To John and Kevin:

The brazilian portuguese community - specially the previous moderators, including myself - shares the same feeling than Klug.

From now on, I'll fill bugs for every problem we found, but I have one question: will you update your translations to the latest community versions? Otherwise you will have tons of bugs (according to all we changed in pt_BR translation until the last commit).

Thank you
    hugo ribeiro

Anyone please?
    hugo ribeiro

fviero is offline Project Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by hlribeiro View Post
    Anyone please?
    I second that Hugo.

Also, there's a quick fix for you guys at Zimbra. Just check the latest commited version for pt_br and a number of bugs will be fixed like a charm. But why did you use that outdated version in the first place?

Anyway, let's go filling bugs.

Klug is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by fviero View Post
    >But why did you use that outdated version in the first place?
    Anyway, let's go filling bugs.
    I don't know for your language but for French, the Y! guys restarted everything from scratch, using their internal tool (localised sentense database if I've correctly understood).

One of the problem is automatic translation does not work. Never.
    Second problem is that "translating without checking" (or just "looking") does not work either.
    Third could be "how can translation bugs appears between 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 while 5.0.2 was suppose to FIX translation bugs ?".
    And I'm afraid the list doesn't stop here.

I don't know for your language but for French, the Y! guys restarted everything from scratch, using their internal tool (localised sentense database if I've correctly understood).

One of the problem is automatic translation does not work. Never.
    Second problem is that "translating without checking" (or just "looking") does not work either.
    Third could be "how can translation bugs appears between 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 while 5.0.2 was suppose to FIX translation bugs ?".
    And I'm afraid the list doesn't stop here.
    It looks like for pt_br they used an outdated version because, among other things, in the login screen where you see, in english, "Collaboration Suite" is now translated to "Pacote de Colaboração". This was one of the first entries we managed to change. While not incorrect, "Pacote" is far less elegant than using the word "Suite".

Well, the thing about bugs between 5.0.1 and 5.0.2 may have happened because they didn't get enough community feedback about translation problems or mistranslations. Anyway, shouldn't they be fixed by their "Translation Team"?

No, i'm also not happy at all

Fabio, at least for me looks like we have a mix of old (old community versions) and new (Y! team) bad strings. (see Filters section)
    hugo ribeiro

Quote Originally Posted by hlribeiro View Post
    Fabio, at least for me looks like we have a mix of old (old community versions) and new (Y! team) bad strings. (see Filters section)
    OLD and BAD == REALLY BAD

But ok.

Now it´s time to help them to fix their errors. But it really makes me sad...it´s just repeated work (equals to loss of [our spare] time).

Hugo, here´s one for bugzilla i think. "Active Directory" is again translated as "Diretório Ativo" in the Domain Management section of the admin interface. Sorry if you already posted about it.

Oops...sorry posting a language specific issue in this general forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information