Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: More About Translations in ZCS 5.0

  1. #1
    GregA's Avatar
    GregA is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    8

    Default More About Translations in ZCS 5.0

    As some have already noted, one of the cooler things in ZCS 5.0 is 15 languages are pre-installed. (A benefit of joining Yahoo! is access to a global team very experienced with translation and QA).

    The languages shipping so far are: Chinese (simplified and traditional), Danish, English (UK, AU, US), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish. The Zimbra Web clients, server messages as well as the Outlook Connector and Import Wizard have been translated. In the future we will be adding more languages and hope to get up to 40.

    Setting the Language
    The language for the default CoS is English (US); administrators can use the CLI interface to change the language for this (or any) CoS, eg:

    "zmprov mc default zimbraPrefLocale fr_FR" (for French)

    End users can now set their preferred language in the Web Client’s Preferences tab. (Note this preference overrides both the language preference set by Administrators and the language preference in the browser.) Administrators can also add their own languages, when they do the language will appear in the Preferences tab.

    Languages and the Community

    We believe these languages are big convenience for the Zimbra Community, but we also know that they can always be better. We encourage our moderators and members alike to give us feedback about the quality of the translations by posting or filing bugs.

    We also encourage you to maintain the existing community translations (or modify the ones we provide in ZCS) if you feel these version are more appropriate to your personal or business needs. The Sourceforge project is still the best place for this storing and sharing. We will continue to post the lasted strings here.
    Last edited by GregA; 01-03-2008 at 01:58 PM.

  2. #2
    goetzi is offline Project Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    223
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    I installed 5.0 RC2 NE (Ubuntu) on a test system to check the languages (and maybe add some translations), but I couldn't find the new language files - where are they located?

    In /opt/zimbra/jetty-6.1.5/webapps/zimbra/WEB-INF/classes/messages I could only find the English version.

  3. #3
    mmorse's Avatar
    mmorse is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,242
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Same place, but you'll have to wait for the NE GA - though seeing as you said this is just a test system to check languages, you might throw on: ZCS 5.0 FOSS is Released!!!

  4. #4
    NOZIL is offline Special Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bordeaux, France
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    And what about the help file within zimbra client ? Is it also translated ? It the main question from my boss !!!

  5. #5
    KevinH's Avatar
    KevinH is offline Expert Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Mateo, CA
    Posts
    4,789
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NOZIL View Post
    And what about the help file within zimbra client ? Is it also translated ? It the main question from my boss !!!
    Not yet. That is planned for the near future though.
    Looking for new beta users -> Co-Founder of Acompli. Previously worked at Zimbra (and Yahoo! & VMware) since 2005.

  6. #6
    fviero is offline Project Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Porto Alegre, RS, Brazil
    Posts
    96
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    As some have already noted, one of the cooler things in ZCS 5.0 is 15 languages are pre-installed. (A benefit of joining Yahoo! is access to a global team very experienced with translation and QA).

    The languages shipping so far are: Chinese (simplified and traditional), Danish, English (UK, AU, US), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish. The Zimbra Web clients, server messages as well as the Outlook Connector and Import Wizard have been translated. In the future we will be adding more languages and hope to get up to 40.

    Setting the Language
    The language for the default CoS is English (US); administrators can use the CLI interface to change the language for this (or any) CoS, eg:

    "zmprov mc default zimbraPrefLocale fr_FR" (for French)

    End users can now set their preferred language in the Web Client’s Preferences tab. (Note this preference overrides both the language preference set by Administrators and the language preference in the browser.) Administrators can also add their own languages, when they do the language will appear in the Preferences tab.

    Languages and the Community

    We believe these languages are big convenience for the Zimbra Community, but we also know that they can always be better. We encourage our moderators and members alike to give us feedback about the quality of the translations by posting or filing bugs.

    We also encourage you to maintain the existing community translations (or modify the ones we provide in ZCS) if you feel these version are more appropriate to your personal or business needs. The Sourceforge project is still the best place for this storing and sharing. We will continue to post the lasted strings here.
    Months ago Zimbra was, if not at least almost, crying out for contributors to the various language translation projects. Now, while encouraging people to still translating and using the comunity translations if they better fit their needs, this translations will not be included in the product because now Zimbra has access to "experienced translation team and quality assurance". Besides thinking that it was, yes it was but with more polite words, a kick in the butt of those people, including me, who struggled to balance personal commitments and the available time to put effort into an OSS Project.

    But really, that would not be a point if and only IF your translations in the version 5 were just a bit better. They´re not, they´re far from that at least as far as Portuguese Brazilian is concerned. Your experienced translation team and quality assurance took an outdated, bad translated and highly incomplete version and used it on ZCS 5 (wich is a very very good version as a whole). The problems start at the login screen and goes through all admin interface where there are things NOT translated at all. As another contributor told me, Zimbra\Yahoo is going, if things don´t change, to a way where people will end up having "The Official Translation" and "The Good Translation". You know what i mean. Pt_br´s latest translation to the 4 series was light years ahead.

    I don´t wanna start flames and i tried to be objective. I think Zimbra/Yahoo did wrong. The translation is not better. It´s worst as far as pt_br is concerned.
    Last edited by fviero; 01-13-2008 at 03:42 AM.

  7. #7
    Klug's Avatar
    Klug is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Beaucaire, France
    Posts
    2,322
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fviero View Post
    I don´t wanna start flames and i tried to be objective.
    Me neither.

    Quote Originally Posted by fviero View Post
    The translation is not better. It´s worst as far as pt_br is concerned.
    Same problem with the French one...

    We even have some URLs translated 8-(

  8. #8
    Abak is offline Project Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GregA View Post
    The Zimbra Web clients, server messages as well as the Outlook Connector and Import Wizard have been translated.
    Where can I get Outlook Connector language file to translate???
    We have some problems with sync in Outlook Connector becuse it is in english and Zimbra is in different language...

    Quote Originally Posted by NOZIL View Post
    And what about the help file within zimbra client ? Is it also translated ? It the main question from my boss !!!
    Well, web help within Zimbra Web Client is probably made with Adobe RoboHelp 7.0. And yes it can be translated. You'll need Robohelp project files to translate.

  9. #9
    GregA's Avatar
    GregA is offline Zimbra Employee
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    160
    Rep Power
    8

    Default 5.0 translations

    Greetings—

    It would awesome if you could email me details about the issues in the translations; we absolutely want to improve the quality and we would greatly appreciate your input by providing more detailed feedback or even by filing localization bugs.

    Also—I can’t stress enough, our goal isn’t to diminish the community or produce inferior work. Our mission since day one has been responding to requests worldwide to make ZCS available to as many people as possible and the community will always be integral with what we do ( like providing guidance and feedback now).

    Ironically it’s in part feedback from the community maintaining languages are difficult that we try to help the process. (Ultimately, I hope we can make better use of your time and expertise by providing editorial feedback as opposed to continually generating content).

    The latest translations all share the same style guide for consistency; this is probably why you see qualitative differences. That being said if the style guide could be better we’d love your feedback to take it in the right direction more in line with what you'd expect.

    Best, Greg

    Quote Originally Posted by fviero View Post
    Months ago Zimbra was, if not at least almost, crying out for contributors to the various language translation projects. Now, while encouraging people to still translating and using the comunity translations if they better fit their needs, this translations will not be included in the product because now Zimbra has access to "experienced translation team and quality assurance". Besides thinking that it was, yes it was but with more polite words, a kick in the butt of those people, including me, who struggled to balance personal commitments and the available time to put effort into an OSS Project.

    But really, that would not be a point if and only IF your translations in the version 5 were just a bit better. They´re not, they´re far from that at least as far as Portuguese Brazilian is concerned. Your experienced translation team and quality assurance took an outdated, bad translated and highly incomplete version and used it on ZCS 5 (wich is a very very good version as a whole). The problems start at the login screen and goes through all admin interface where there are things NOT translated at all. As another contributor told me, Zimbra\Yahoo is going, if things don´t change, to a way where people will end up having "The Official Translation" and "The Good Translation". You know what i mean. Pt_br´s latest translation to the 4 series was light years ahead.

    I don´t wanna start flames and i tried to be objective. I think Zimbra/Yahoo did wrong. The translation is not better. It´s worst as far as pt_br is concerned.

  10. #10
    rt711 is offline Starter Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Slovakia
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    7

    Default utf-8 to iso-8859-2

    hi

    our problem is with error page, what appears when you tybe bad login name or password - we need a bilingual version of this page(slovak and hungarian), the main problem is with utf-8 encoding, becaulse we use special slovak charakters (for example: č), but the text does not appear correctly. it's possible to change the encoding of this error msg?
    best

    Sam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trouble Sending mail - All Messages deferred!
    By SiteDiscovery in forum Administrators
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 04:52 AM
  2. Outlook 2007 Beta Overview
    By GregA in forum Zimbra Connector for Outlook
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM
  3. ZCS 5.0 FOSS is Released!!!
    By jholder in forum Announcements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 12:21 PM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-29-2007, 02:36 PM
  5. ZCS 3.2 Beta Available
    By KevinH in forum Announcements
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 03:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •