Thread: Can't connect to MS Exchange

bjames50 is offline Starter Member

Default Can't connect to MS Exchange

Several issues here so I will try to keep it concise.

Started having major issues with MS outlook, want to replace it with Zimbra Desktop. Set up GMail without any problem, love the interface, now I want to get my work email connected. Our third party IT help isn't so helpful, so I hope some experts on Zimbra can help.

If I can just sync up what is on the server now (.ost file) and not even worry about my archive (.pst file) I would be much happier. Our IT guy confirmed that we are not using IMAP (whatever that is) so I assume we are using POP protocol. I got the server names, username and password but keep getting error message when I try to set it up. I noticed that our outlook settings go through a proxy server and I don't know how to account for that. In my ideal scenario I would dump MS Outlook immediately as it also seems lead to other other office programs crashing. It is really starting to drive me crazy.

Please help me, point me in the right direction. Give me the right questions to ask IT guy, or look up myself. Error message attached (means nothing to me).

Thank you,

Cannot connect to.doc

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

There appears to be no service listening on port 995 or port 993 which are the secure ports for POP3 & IMAP respectively. There is, however, an IMAP port open on port 143. Your tech support should be able to give you the correct information with which you can connect to the Exchange server, I'd suggest you always use IMAPS on port 993 as it's more secure and you'll have a better experience with that service.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

bjames50 is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    There appears to be no service listening on port 995 or port 993 which are the secure ports for POP3 & IMAP respectively. There is, however, an IMAP port open on port 143. Your tech support should be able to give you the correct information with which you can connect to the Exchange server, I'd suggest you always use IMAPS on port 993 as it's more secure and you'll have a better experience with that service.
    I am not sure what any of that means. Part of the problem is my "tech support" is a third party vendor, he loves outlook and is "too busy" in my opinion to offer much help. Not that I haven't asked. As a remotely located employee of a consulting company, I can't just drop it off and get it worked out.

I tried using what are know are the server settings, user name and password etc on POP and IMAP and IMAP exchange settings on port 993 and 143 and 995 (all combinations of each). We use a proxy server set up on Outlook and I am not sure how to mimic that with Zimbra.

I don't have a lot of patience, and am hoping to get a fix in place quickly. In the past week I have had to re-install office 4 times just to keep working.

Thread Information