Thread: ZDesktop 7.2.2 Will Not Open

Firemonkey is offline New Member

Post ZDesktop 7.2.2 Will Not Open

ZDesktopLoad.jpg

One of our satellite companies is testing the Zimbra Desktop in preparation for first steps to migrate from MS 2008R2 Servers to Unbuntu and the Zimbra system. We have installed Zimbra Desktop on a Win 8 x64 machine. The program has been running flawlessly with approx. 40 email accounts (GMail and some MailEnable). No changes have been made to PC OS however, when attempting to open the Zimbra Desktop, the GUI window merely sits there with the word "Loading" and never actually opens. We have attempted to reload the Desktop software in "Repair" mode and this did not resolve the issue. We would like to continue testing this product. If the application cannot be opened, how do we preserve the data of the thousands of email contained in within the program's database? Any help or clue as to what the problem may be and a resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
    IT Manager
    USNEXUS CORP.
    Last edited by Firemonkey; 12-02-2013 at 07:41 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Do you have any anti-virus software running on this PC? If you do then disable it and try ZD again. Have you done any update to Windows recently? When ZD is in the 'loading' state, try killing it with Task Manager and then restarting it. Does that do anytging useful?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thank you for the reply. With regard to the windows update the answer is no. We do not perform automatic updates until the update is reviewed for safety. With regard to the antivirus software, we use Kaspersky PURE 3.0, which is updated daily. However, we did take your advice and stopped Kaspersky services but, this did not resolve the issue. We also stopped the ZD using the task manager and then restarting ZD but, again this was not successful either.

Bit surprised that there has been no response from VMWare about this issue. Our company is new to VMWare so we are unaware of the company's overall characteristics. Would like to feel that an investment in this company's products will be a worhtwhile endeavor. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemonkey View Post
    Thank you for the reply. With regard to the windows update the answer is no. We do not perform automatic updates until the update is reviewed for safety. With regard to the antivirus software, we use Kaspersky PURE 3.0, which is updated daily. However, we did take your advice and stopped Kaspersky services but, this did not resolve the issue. We also stopped the ZD using the task manager and then restarting ZD but, again this was not successful either.
    "

Bit surprised that there has been no response from VMWare about this issue.
    Why? This has nothing to do with VMWare. I guess you haven't been keeping up with the news, see the following

Telligent Acquires Zimbra from VMware :: Zimbra :: Blog
    Telligent Acquires Zimbra from VMware
    Telligent Acquires Zimbra from VMware - Press Releases - News - Zimbra | Telligent
    The Future of Collaboration Starts Today: Telligent Acquires Zimbra from VMware - The Telligent Blog - News - Zimbra | Telligent

I'm afraid I'm not a developer and I can't really offer any further help or even debugging steps on this problem. You should also note that Zimbra Desktop is end-of-life and a replacement is currently under development:

The Future of the Zimbra Offline Experience :: Zimbra :: Blog
    Regards

Bill

No, neither myself nor my company is up on the news of the thousands of software company's and deals that are happening. Your reply however, does make our decision rather simple. Find another company that is more reliable such as Microsoft. Although more expensive and usually a hassle to implement, such as Exchange server, we are fairly sure Microsoft will not be "selling" Exchange or Outlook any time too soon. Good luck with your products.

No, neither myself nor my company is up on the news of the thousands of software company's and deals that are happening. Your reply however, does make our decision rather simple. Find another company that is more reliable such as Microsoft. Although more expensive and usually a hassle to implement, such as Exchange server, we are fairly sure Microsoft will not be "selling" Exchange or Outlook any time too soon. Good luck with your products.
    It's not 'my product', I'm just a moderator on these forums and they are not official Zimbra support, they are Community supported forums. I think you should review your decision, Zimbra is a perfectly reliable company and the products they sell are far superior and more cost effective than any comparable product. Zimbra Desktop is a free product and perfectly capable of connecting to your Zimbra server and I'd suggest that there's a problem with Windows 8, I've had ZD running on ity for a while until a recent windows 8 update and now it has the same problem as your version. I'd suggest yo talk to your Zimbra Sales contact about your requirements and see what they say.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information