Thread: Zdclient using 10% or more of CPU resources when nothing really happening

inventlogic is offline Starter Member

Default Zdclient using 10% or more of CPU resources when nothing really happening

The zdclient.exe is a resource hog that seems to be doing some massive background operation even when there are no emails to get and even when Zimbra is running as a background task.

If I was using a desktop maybe it would not be a big issue but I am using an i7 Intel Dual core laptop that ramps up and down in response to the zdclient requests and the heat generated is a real concern. The CPU fan makes a lot of noise during this process which disturbs my colleagues in the office but my personal concern is the heat generated by the CPU ramping is going to shorten the life span of my laptop by a chunk.

What is this program doing in the background that requires 10%+ of CPU resources. I do run a backup but that occurs around 10am every day without being noticed.

The zdclient is doing something that I am not aware of and I would like suggestions please as I need to solve this.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Doesn't do that on my machines and it sits at, or close to, zero percent when it's idle (see screen shot). I have various machines with ZD installed (including a laptop) and I don't see any activity like that, perhaps you have something such as anti-virus or anti-malware interfering with ZD?

ZD Idle.png
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

inventlogic is offline Starter Member

Default SSDP & uPnP Windows Services affected by unknown problem

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    Doesn't do that on my machines and it sits at, or close to, zero percent when it's idle (see screen shot). I have various machines with ZD installed (including a laptop) and I don't see any activity like that, perhaps you have something such as anti-virus or anti-malware interfering with ZD?

ZD Idle.png
    Yes I am now able to get that but only after disabling the SSDP and uPnP service in Windows 7 64Bit.

Something was whacking these services for all they were worth.

Our firewall should prevent this so it makes me think some other computer on the network has a serious viral problem.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by inventlogic View Post
    Yes I am now able to get that but only after disabling the SSDP and uPnP service in Windows 7 64Bit.
    I'm glad you've managed to resolve the problem. FWIW, I always disable those services on all my machines as I don't believe that they're a) worth having and b) not too safe.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thread Information