Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do not upgrade to 7.2!!!

foobaz is offline Active Member

Default Do not upgrade to 7.2!!!

I just upgraded 7.1.4, which has been working fine for months, to 7.2, just overwriting existing installation as recommended. It will not start! It just pops up saying "Initializing, please wait...", then dies. What did you do to cause this? Did you not even alpha test this wonderful "upgrade"?! Now, if I'm lucky, I will have to uninstall all and start all over again with the old version. Thanks so much.

Update:

I spent hours uninstalling and re-installing this new version. I first tried it in a virtual machine to make sure it worked. It does start now that I nuked everything. I modified the data store location and copied old data there. I had to re-add all my accounts and am waiting for the hellish re-sync to finish while my CPU overheats. It has taken most of the afternoon so far. This really really sucks.

Another nice "feature"--I lost all my contacts. Well, I was able to import them from the saved data, one account at a time.

Frankly I don't see any improvement with this version. The old bugs seem to still be there (see below).

WARNING: If you do install this over a previous version AND you happen to have changed the default directory of the data store (see: http://www.zimbra.com/forums/general...tml#post240836), UNCHECK THE BOX THAT SAYS "START ZIMBRA DESKTOP NOW" (or words to that effect) before clicking the "Finish" button and don't start it yet. Otherwise you will lose that data store and will have to uninstall/re-install to get it back. Read the procedure carefully. Why wasn't this "bug" fixed? People should be given a choice of where to store the data. The disk that carries the operating system is a very bad default since this is the disk most likely to crash because of excessive use.

Bottom line: It is probably not a good idea to upgrade 7.1.4. If you do, simply make a copy the whole install directory of the current version so you can easily get back to it if this fails. I normally would have done that for a major upgrade but didn't think it necessary for an incremental one like this. How wrong I was. Learn form my bad experience.
    Last edited by foobaz; 09-13-2012 at 07:38 AM.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by foobaz View Post
    I just upgraded 7.1.4, which has been working fine for months, to 7.2, just overwriting existing installation as recommended. It will not start! It just pops up saying "Initializing, please wait...", then dies. What did you do to cause this? Did you not even alpha test this wonderful "upgrade"?! Now, if I'm lucky, I will have to uninstall all and start all over again with the old version. Thanks so much.
    It works fine for me on various flavours of Windows and linux 32 & 64 bit systems. I guess you took a backup before you upgraded?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

garce911 is offline Starter Member

Default Agreed, just happened to me as well!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    It works fine for me on various flavours of Windows and linux 32 & 64 bit systems. I guess you took a backup before you upgraded?
    The new update refuses to start up and now I can't get my previous version (7.1.4, which was working perfectly!) to work either!!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    I guess you took a backup before you upgraded?
    I didn't back it up because it was just an incremental upgrade. I backed up an older version before I upgraded to 7.1.4 because it was a many versions upgrade. I didn't think a minor upgrade could cause such problems. I did back up all mail account data though. In any case, I imagine that even if it did work, I'd still have to set up my many accounts again. I only use this crappy software because it is the only app that supports multiple Yahoo accounts. After this though, I plan on migrating all Yahoo accounts to Gmail and just use Thunderbird.

dik23 is offline Advanced Member

I've not read about this happening to anyone else ....

Quote Originally Posted by dik23 View Post
    I've not read about this happening to anyone else ....
    You mean you didn't read?:

Quote Originally Posted by garce911 View Post
    The new update refuses to start up and now I can't get my previous version (7.1.4, which was working perfectly!) to work either!!

That is correct, I've not read that.

I have however skipped 7.2 so far because of the mess regarding ZCO and a general mistrust of all round numbers with regards to software releases.

That is correct, I've not read that.
    Rule of thumb: Read first, post later.

I have however skipped 7.2 so far because of the mess regarding ZCO and a general mistrust of all round numbers with regards to software releases.
    ZCO? Mistrust of round numbers? Whhaaaahh?!

I will say this though. It is definitely not worth trying to upgrade 7.1.4, even if you didn't have all the trouble I did, and considering the risk. . .

This new version still has all the same bugs (design flaws) as the old one. For example, after a few hours, the focus no longer remains on the message pane. It drifts to random places. You have to do multiple tab|shift-tab to get back to the pane, and when you try to go to the next message with the keyboard, the focus is no longer on the pane. It is necessary to restart at this point to get back keyboard functionality. Another gem of a "feature" that is still present is the fact that the "All Mailboxes" Inbox does not refresh reliably. You have to click on one of the individual mailboxes' inbox or folder and then go back to All Mailboxes to get a refresh. And the list goes on and on. To me, these are major bugs that should have been fixed first, but no.

ZCO?
    Zimbra Connector for Outlook - the default check time for emails was changed without any notice

Mistrust of round numbers?
    Point releases tend to have fixes for bugs found in "round number" releases. ie 7.2.1 will have fixes for bugs in 7.2

Sorry if I've caused confusion.

I'm sure if the upgrade problems you've experienced were universal this forum would be clogged with posts about it. Personally I always update in a test environment first and then make a backup of the production before altering ANYTHING. It tends to avoid serious issues.

I'm sure if the upgrade problems you've experienced were universal this forum would be clogged with posts about it. Personally I always update in a test environment first and then make a backup of the production before altering ANYTHING. It tends to avoid serious issues.
    The way I look at it, if one person is having problems, chances are that many are and just haven't posted about it yet. Posting about any problem will at least make people aware that they may have the same problem. Just because you didn't have the problem doesn't mean others won't.

As I said, I usually back up previous (whole numbered) versions, but have never had a problem with an incremental upgrade until now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information