Thread: Can I archive my mail and still keep it on Yahoo server?

abrogard is offline Intermediate Member

Default Can I archive my mail and still keep it on Yahoo server?

I use Yahoo extensively and have thousands of emails there which I need to keep.

It seems if I use Zimbra desktop and then archive emails they'll be exported from Zimbra into some archival format and then be deleted from Yahoo's server. Is this right?

If so it's not what I want. I want them to remain on Yahoo as long as ever Yahoo will keep them.

And I want them on my pc. Belt and braces, that's me.

How can I get this?

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    It seems if I use Zimbra desktop and then archive emails they'll be exported from Zimbra into some archival format and then be deleted from Yahoo's server. Is this right?
    No, that's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by abrogard View Post
    If so it's not what I want. I want them to remain on Yahoo as long as ever Yahoo will keep them.

And I want them on my pc. Belt and braces, that's me.

How can I get this?
    If you read the user guide or product documentation you'll see that's what Zimbra Desktop does. It's an offline mail client that downloads a copy of your email (unless you set it to do otherwise) to you local machine which you can then backup locally - nothing is removed from the mail server unless you delete it from your client. ZD keeps the client and mail server in sync.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Thanks for that, Bill, it's appreciated. I got confused by this: Archiving your email messages

When I look at it again I guess it is talking about the web based zimbra - 'zimbra web client accounts'.

I got to it via a search for zimbra desktop (and it's got zimbra desktop in the URL) and was too slack to check further. My fault.

So what I want to do is find the emails on my pc that zimbra has put there - and then copy them elsewhere (onto dvd). Where are they kept? I don't find them when I look around on this machine, which used to run zimbra desktop. And are they readable and hence copyable as is or do they need translating from some zimbra proprietary format?

There is a backup function within Zimbra Desktop (yoy can find it on the Preferences tab), you can use that to save the email locally (on a schedule) then move them to DVD if you require that.
    Regards

Bill

Well thanks (again) for that. I'll do it if there's no better way.

But I'm thinking if I can identify the 'stash' of emails I'd copy them over quicker than having the prog do an 'export', which is what a backup would be, wouldn't it?

Perhaps more important I'd copy them without having to open the prog. i.e. I could copy them from other machines on my network without having to go to that machine.

The point about using ZD backup would be that you can import them into ZD if you ever have any problems and need to restore them. You haven't mentioned whether you're using Windows or some form of Linux, for details of the file locations take a look at the ZD FAQ in the wiki (link to the wiki is in the the Community at the top of this page).
    Regards

Bill

Hi,

I'm using winxp sp3.

The point about not using zimbra backup is that could read them without needing to have zimbra on the machine I open the dvd on.

If you see what I mean.

And if it makes sense.

I'm talking about being able to archive the messages, get them offline, take them elsewhere, put them on dvd, while they still exist on Yahoo's servers and while zimbra is still running on my machine.

And then copy that archive as much as I wish and look at it as much as I wish and search it and play with it as much as I wish (data mining) .

I figure all that manipulation - which is the whole point of this enormous (to me) database of emails ( coming up 50,000 in the first instance, other accounts, other projects later down the track) - is going to need excel, even MS Access and whatever, perhaps even import to SQL. i.e. freed from any proprietary format of zimbra's. If, indeed, it employs any such. Which I currently don't know. It may keep them as plain text files for all I know. I just don't know. How it keeps them, where it keeps them, how I can get at them and begin my work with them.

p.s. then the next thing, of course, would be easy, simple access to updating this archive. Somehow I'd have to add the emails since my last 'download' (not zimbra's download, which I know occurs all the time, I mean my 'download' or extracting of the emails to put into my own processing).

If you want access to these emails then I really don't understand why you want to go through the effort of backing them up to a separate media and 'database' when you have access to them in Zimbra Desktop. The email is not in any proprietary format and, as I've mentioned above, you can find the locations of the files in the wiki FAQ for ZD.
    Regards

Bill

Thread Information