Thread: Cleaning up email threads

pamindic is offline Junior Member

Default Cleaning up email threads

Email threads, repeating conversations with each email, become very messy both in terms of storage and trying to follow old conversations. Is there any way of eliminating quoted emails in threads, leaving only the original emails in a clear, single chain of conversation?

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pamindic View Post
    Email threads, repeating conversations with each email, become very messy both in terms of storage and trying to follow old conversations.
    I don't really understand your comments, what do you mean by "repeating conversations with each email", "messy both in terms of storage" and "trying to follow old conversations"

Is there any way of eliminating quoted emails in threads, leaving only the original emails in a clear, single chain of conversation?
    What do you mean by "quoted emails"?
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Email threads, repeating conversations with each email, become very messy both in terms of storage and trying to follow old conversations. Is there any way of eliminating quoted emails in threads, leaving only the original emails in a clear, single chain of conversation?
    pamindic -- I'm not certain this will achieve what you want -- but, if you look at preferences --> composing there are two options to set when replying or forwarding. Change those to "Don't Include Original Message."

Default Cleaning up long email threads

Quote Originally Posted by cityofacworthit View Post
    pamindic -- I'm not certain this will achieve what you want -- but, if you look at preferences --> composing there are two options to set when replying or forwarding. Change those to "Don't Include Original Message."
    I guess it will do, if it also prevents senders from embedding original messages as well. My problem is that I have an exchange of 900 emails which are riddled with multiple original messages, making any attempt to review the conversation very tedious indeed. So I wanted to eliminate all but a single original message, such that all the embedded copy messages are discarded.

phoenix is online now Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

So I wanted to eliminate all but a single original message, such that all the embedded copy messages are discarded.
    You can't do that, the quoted text exists in the new email that was sent and it's the same for any mail client that views email with quoted text in it.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

Default Sensible, readable, followable email

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
    You can't do that, the quoted text exists in the new email that was sent and it's the same for any mail client that views email with quoted text in it.
    What I'm seeking here is not something complicated. Before email, if someone sent you a letter, you replied, without quoting the original letter received. If the exchange continued, you built up a series of simple documents; not a record each time of everything that had gone before. The problem I'm experiencing with the quoting of old chains of messages must be a major problem to anyone archiving the content of email exchanges.

My conclusion is that there ought to be a way of limiting email exchanges to the original message, regardless of whether the email is one sent or one received. It can still be possible to have the option to group the emails into a conversation - perhaps according to the subject line or, better still, according to the people between whom the emails have been sent/received. There MUST be a better way of doing this than what is currently accepted as normal and reasonable. It's not.

Alan McMahon

Thread Information