Thread: Moving local folders from one machine to another (XP to OSX)

alexdyas is offline Junior Member

Default Moving local folders from one machine to another (XP to OSX)

Hi,

I am having trouble migrating local folders from an old XP machine running Zimbra desktop to a new Mac also running Zimbra desktop. I have tried the backup and restore function, but it seems that this only works locally, ie once I have run a backup I can only restore to the local machine. Is there a way to restore to a different machine?

I have also tried the export / import function, ie I export the local folders from the XP machine to a tar.gz file, and then import them on the Mac. This has never worked successfully. The most I've managed to get is a couple of folders. One problem seem to be that the export function doesn't always complete, but the main issue seems to be that the import function gives me no feedback at all, so it is impossible for me to know what is going on, if anything. No matter how long I wait, nothing seems to be imported.

The most success I've had has been to drag the local folders to an online folder on the XP machine, and then back to the local folders on the Mac. However even this isn't reliable, there is no indication of when all the messages have been moved online to know when I can move them back. And it takes a long time, we're talking around 10gigs of mail.

Any help most appreciated. There must be a reliable way of doing this. I haven't tried just copying files yet, will this work?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Anyone? There must be a standard way of doing this surely?

The customer is asking why they should be using Zimbra desktop instead of the built in Mac Mail application. I am beginning to find it hard to give them a good reason.

Alex..

So I finally found a way to do this. It seems that the problem is a limit on the size, or number of mails in the export .tgz file. My initial attempts produced a file of around 2.6gb, with around 10,000 emails. This didn't work.

The solution was to split the tgz file up into smaller, more manageable pieces. I don't know what the limit is, but files of around 1gb in size seem to work ok. The best way I found to do this was to create 7-8 directories in "local folders" on the source machine, and distribute the mail equally between them. Then you can export these folders individually as separate .tgz files, and import them one by one on the destination machine.

Finally you will have to re-arrange the folders again on the target machine.

A good tip is to watch the Zimbra desktop log file (Zimbra Desktop/log/zdesktop.log) for evidence that it is actually working as there is no feedback in the GUI. I saw quite a few "Unable to index" messages in the log. You can also keep counting the number of files in the Zimbra Desktop store directory for evidence that the messages are being added.

Hope this helps someone else. Thanks to Norman for the suggestion

And a message to Zimbra - please fix this broken mechanism, and make the UI give more feedback, it's a bit crap the way it works currently.

Cheers.

Thread Information