Thread: Zimbra with hotmail...yes I've searched

The0ne is offline New Member

Default Zimbra with hotmail...yes I've searched

Firstly I apologize for starting a new thread on a topic that has been covered, but not necessarily for users like myself. I've searched and read the advices given on the forum but Zimbra still refuses to connect to hotmail. I've doubled checked the settings for both incoming/sending servers and they are correct (from Thunderbird), which is also the same as what most have advised,

Code:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/hotmail/send-receive-email-from-mail-client
    Surely there has to be something wrong with these SIMPLE setup. Thunderbird does it on the fly easily so why can't Zimbra? I just don't understand why this should be this difficult. I understand others have it working but it isn't working for me and I've fiddled around with it for 2 days now...2 days!

Yes I like the look of Zimbra and would like to move to it as my email client but without proper email support it's not going to be possible. If anyone has any other advice to get this working please let me know. Thank you.

Current version: 7.1.4 GA build 11299

phoenix is offline Zimbra Consultant & Moderator

Sating that 'it doesn't work' isn't much help in determining the problem, you're going to have to give exact details of the settings you've used (server settings not username/passwords) and what errors you're seeing when you configure the account.
    Regards

Bill

Acompli: A new adventure for Co-Founder KevinH.

I didn't think there was a need to since the link provided has all the details and are exactly the same details as those used by Thunderbird, with the exception of the SMTP port being 587.

Johnster is offline Starter Member

Default Same here

I've followed the setup steps to the letter and Zimbra will not connect to hotmail using SSL. The POP settings work fine, but if I check the SSL box for smtp, no matter which port I use, it still fails with

com.zimbra.common.soap.SoapFaultException: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?

If I uncheck SSL for SMTP, it works fine. I can set this up for other mail providers and they work properly, just not hotmail. And all of this is working properly in Thunderbird.

Zimbra Desktop 7.1.4 GA Build 11299

Doesn't work for me whether SSL is checked or unchecked. I've also tried other email clients and they work just fine, just not Zimbra. Base on the number of similar topics on hotmail and the lack of support this program going in the trash bin. Seriously can't believe this simple setup can't be made to work properly or in this case consistently.

Good luck all,

Johnster is offline Starter Member

I have to agree. This is something that works in all the other e-mail clients except Zimbra, it's time to stop wasting my time trying to get a basic function to work. Considering this and the problems I've also had with appointments simply not showing up in the calendar, Zimbra is going in the trash until it's ready for primetime.

UPDATE:
    I did discover something which may shed some light on this. I can set up SSL for the SMTP connection ONLY if the server is using port 465. If the SMTP server is using port 25 for SSL connections, it will fail every time. I was able to successfully set up several accounts using port 465 for outbound SSL e-mail, but both sympatico and hotmail failed, and both use port 25 for SSL encrypted mail.

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Johnster; 05-02-2012 at 07:41 AM.

qsc1951 is offline Starter Member

I have tried and tried to get Zimbra to connect to hotmail. Sorry to say that support and forums did not help in this case. I agree with "theone" in that Zimbra should get their act together to make the setup seamless (as with Thunderbird). I do like Zimbra better than TB, but I will have to stop using it proper support is available.

Thanks!

PS. all the links I tried were of no use to me
    Zimbra Desktop 7.1.4 GA Build 11299

stryvya is offline Member

Like above tried and Liked Zimbra but found it unusable in many aspects, so dumped it.

Now using Pegasus e-mail seems OK with new version out soon, why not give it a try

qsc1951 is offline Starter Member

I think I will. Hope is better than Thunderbird
    Thanks stryvya

Thread Information