Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ZD future EOL

ccelis5215 is offline Elite Member

Create a webapp skin that mirrors outlook.
    A simplistic view.. if yours users want Outlook, then let them in Outlook.

As a fan about Zimbra ZCS have to admit that ZD it's not yet ready for mainstream.

So, keep your fat clients, whatever you want.

Speaking myself, think Thunderbird + Ligthing + Zindus can do the job. Obviusly, it's not an Outlook replacement.. yet. But it's free and FOSS.

ccelis

storm is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
    ... This was nice but I don't see it as a problem the majority of your customers are going to be concerned about. Offline e-mail is all but a thing of the past, in our little network we may have a total of 4 or 5 users who've EVER used that feature and it was probably only a handful of times. Plane or vacation cabin. And even then it was of cursory value. Meaning no one would have been yelled at if it wasn't available.

... So here are your options:
    -Give us the zimbra toaster and build in the ability to save the zimbra webclient as a desktop shortcut. Comprehensive calling as well. When you click a notification it needs to open the right window.
    -Create a webapp skin that mirrors outlook.
    Whilst I appreciate that you should air your users perspective, please do not generalise for other users around the world, or in different trades or use cases; the world extends beyond the horizons of our personal experiences.

Offline clients with full Zimbra capability are essential for huge numbers of Zimbra users. Offline email is most definitely not a thing of the past for:

- the majority of businesses in the world
    - users in remote areas
    - users in low income countries where we live on intermittent dial-up connections
    - users in courts, mining, law enforcement, transport, local authority meetings, and politics : who must have full access to their data at times when internet access is legally or physically prohibited.
    - users who are travelling with expensive or non-existent connectivity
    - users who are in transit with non-existent, patchy, or expensive mobile connectivity
    - users who cannot afford to have any downtime in access to their data (due to server downtime or upgrades for example)

Alternative clients (Thunderbird, Evolution, Outlook, Kontact etc...) do not provide either a seamless, or comprehensive experience. They also lack ability to sync complex addressbook fields, tagged tasks, various calendar fields, etc...

This is why an offline client, with the same interface and features as the webclient, is essential.

ericb is offline Starter Member

Quote Originally Posted by storm View Post
    Whilst I appreciate that you should air your users perspective, please do not generalise for other users around the world, or in different trades or use cases; the world extends beyond the horizons of our personal experiences.

Offline clients with full Zimbra capability are essential for huge numbers of Zimbra users. Offline email is most definitely not a thing of the past for:

- users in remote areas
    - users in low income countries where we live on intermittent dial-up connections
    - users in courts, mining, law enforcement, transport, local authority meetings, and politics : who must have full access to their data at times when internet access is legally or physically prohibited.
    - users who are in transit with non-existent, patchy, or expensive mobile connectivity
    - users who cannot afford to have any downtime in access to their data (due to server downtime or upgrades for example)

Alternative clients (Thunderbird, Evolution, Outlook, Kontact etc...) do not provide either a seamless, or comprehensive experience. They also lack ability to sync complex addressbook fields, tagged tasks, various calendar fields, etc...

This is why an offline client, with the same interface and features as the webclient, is essential.
    Well put. These are my sentiments too. I hope Zimbra's new technology will work out.

marcusg is offline Intermediate Member

Default Hmn

Quote Originally Posted by ccelis5215 View Post
    A simplistic view.. if yours users want Outlook, then let them in Outlook.

As a fan about Zimbra ZCS have to admit that ZD it's not yet ready for mainstream.

So, keep your fat clients, whatever you want.

Speaking myself, think Thunderbird + Ligthing + Zindus can do the job. Obviusly, it's not an Outlook replacement.. yet. But it's free and FOSS.

ccelis
    We WOULD and DO let them use outlook, (many of them do now because we must switch them to it). I'd want the webmail skin so that there would be a more seamless experience from outlook (official) to webmail but it's STILL a crumby option. This is important to us because there are many shared items in our environment and often users will refer each other to the location of these items as relevant to the interface they're using. If one has never used zimbra and the other only uses zimbra this has created all kinds of support issues that can be completely circumvented if we just have everyone on the same interface.

To be more to the point, I need something my users can be productive with. Cost (though it's a factor) is secondary to a premiere work environment. If you're an admin of some sort then I'm sure you can sympathize with how upsetting it is to have someone hung half a day on a project because they can't find an e-mail. We can solve many of these problems with zimbra, but we've found in a mixed environment (Zimbra/Outlook) people camp up into zimbra haters or zimbra lovers and manage to cooperate only to complain about the inconsistency of their e-mail experience. You can show them the search bar a hundred thousand times but until they are forced to use it they try to sort every time. I have about 10 people converted after about two years of production installation. I've chalked the greatest majority of this to UI issues that are FIXED in Zimbra 8. But as soon as we shored up those issues we have the rug pulled out from under the desktop client. Ouch.

Moreover we don't want everyone on outlook. The outlook interface leaves a whole lot to be desired in the search department. There are also a number of other issues that have made and continue to make it annoying to support. So while we lose the "what's this zimbra stuff" complaints we get back to the same ol' same ol' "I can't find my e-mail" and "would you send that again" or "It's stuck in the outbox". They're both devils. And more than anything we've worked very hard to avoid exchange and our Server uptime has showed fruit in that department. Zimbra (as a server) has been rock solid. While my exchange buddies are up at work at night on the weekend I'm sleeping like a baby.

I'd like my users in Zimbra Desktop 8 so we can move forward and make this pill easier to swallow. But clearly I won't get that, or an answer as to what I can productively plan on setting up for my users. Instead we've all been left out to dry like so many bags of spam mail.

I hope this more complex view is more acceptable to the more sophisticated elite.
    Last edited by jto_vmware; 04-08-2013 at 03:10 PM.

marcusg is offline Intermediate Member

Quote Originally Posted by storm View Post

- users in remote areas

I see your point. These examples, though perfectly understandable, still seem like exceptions rather than the rule, but I digress.

My argument was, that from a developer's perspective I can understand offline support would be a beast to re-work given the way that Zimbra Desktop was implemented. In lieu of the best solution, a full offline client, at least throw us a bone and hook us up with a program that makes the web client link to the windows shell LIKE a full client. In my case (and I would assume many others) I could cover the great majority of my users with this workaround with little to no backlash. In fact this would be an improvement!

zacdesai is offline Member

Angry Zimbra Desktop EOL

Quote Originally Posted by marcusg View Post
    More important to us is a seamless experience. We want desktop users to think of Zimbra as a full mail client, not just a webmail client. That said there are some projects that kindof competed with ZD in that department that are now all completely abandoned. For instance the Zimbra Toaster.

This is, of course, all assuming that those customers want a seamless Zimbra experience. I suspect many do. I don't want to have to re-train users when they use webmail because they've been living in an outlook world and on a snow day or vacation, when they really need the seamless experience they spend 2 hours with a tech trying to figure out how to do simple things they can do very quickly in outlook. As a developer you may forget how blockheaded some people can be when it comes to tech. We have to work with users that have never used a computer, much less e-mail, from time to time and being able to provide some regularity in their e-mail experience would be greatly appreciated.

Please Zimbra people - can we have some clarity here. I just pushed our company to upgrade to version 8 - and now 99% of our users are on the Desktop client - which is stuck on version 7 - hence it all looks the same.
    Echoing Marcus above - all we need as something that looks and acts like a true desktop client. Webmail is nice - but it's not what corporates are looking for. They want something that looks, and feels like Outlook - otherwise it's a perceived going backwards in technology. The new 8 web interface looks great - but my users cannot experience it yet as a direct result of this Zimbra Desktop EOL. PLEASE tell me you have a strategy in place to deal with customers in this situation.

Thanks!
    Zakaria
    Zakaria Desai
    IT Manager
    Durban South Toyota

maxxer is offline Trained Alumni

I don't really feel webmail is going backwards, clientless means cloud means future. The point is what you said, a good desktop integration...
    YetOpen S.r.l. ~ Your open source partner
    Lecco (LC) - ITALY
    http://www.yetopen.it

storm is offline Advanced Member

Zimbra rarely make announcements, especially on projects that aren't certain.

However to assist other customers, I'd like to clarify that:

At present offline html5 implementation of the email client is currently being (tentatively?) pursued, roadmapped for a release in time for Zimbra 9.

The current Zimbra Desktop is aesthetically-inferior to, but technically compatible with, Zimbra 8 in the meantime.

This information is correct currently, though of course things may change - the project may change shape, be abandoned, or be delayed.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

zacdesai is offline Member

@Storm, super thanks for clearing the air.

Will wait patiently then for Zimbra 9 client. Hopefully it sees the light of day.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
    Zakaria Desai
    IT Manager
    Durban South Toyota

maumar is offline Elite Member

i have received an email regarding the new technology client, that one in html5. I missed it, sadly. Someone can provide here a link to download this tech. preview of it? many thnx

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information